Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m picking up a new 2023 Model 3 Standard Range later today and have a couple of questions regarding TACC/Autosteer. When going on a demo drive I kept seeing an alert to keep my hands on the wheel anytime one or both of those features was activated and I checked the mirrors or kept an eye on a big rig in the next lane for example. A friend in the car said this is the interior camera causing the issue and he has his covered and only has to keep constant pressure on the wheel.

Question is will this still work on a 2023 like his 2021? Keeping a hand on the wheel is what I’m used to with my existing vehicle utilizing lane centering and adaptive cruise. On the short drive I made in the highway in the demo car I quite literally had to have my head partially turned to the right so the camera was happy seeing my eyes.

For what it’s worth, I wound up finding a 2021 LR Model 3 with <15k miles for essentially the same price and don’t have the issue I was having with the new 2023. Something was wrong with that one to get multiple collision alerts every minute. Beware if you’re looking at a white SR I’m the Raleigh service center because you might get that car.

...I kept seeing an alert to keep my hands on the wheel anytime one or both of those features was activated and I checked the mirrors or kept an eye on a big rig in the next lane for example. A friend in the car said this is the interior camera causing the issue and he has his covered and only has to keep constant pressure on the wheel.

What your friend said is how my MY19 TM3P behaves.
For now.

The worst thing about Tesla is as soon as you get used to something, Tesla will change the software to behave differently, or to needless mess with the UI. For no functional gain to the owner.
So, whatever answer you get today, will likely change tomorrow.

Question is will this still work on a 2023 like his 2021? Keeping a hand on the wheel is what I’m used to with my existing vehicle utilizing lane centering and adaptive cruise. On the short drive I made in the highway in the demo car I quite literally had to have my head partially turned to the right so the camera was happy seeing my eyes.

Definitely maybe!
And that is the ONLY honest answer you will get from anyone other then Musk himself.

a