Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about ordering Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to place an order for a new Model 3. I have a few questions:

1. Do they still have a referral system? Is it worth getting a referral code from someone? Do I get something? Does the referring person get something?

2. They now require a $2500 deposit. I was told on the phone that it is refundable until the VIN number is assigned. Is it true from your experience? How quickly do they assign VIN numbers?

3. Is there an option to get the car quickly if you pick it up in California?

4. If I am assigned a VIN number ($2500 is non-refundable), and I change my mind, can I assign the car and the VIN to someone else? Not looking to make a profit on the assignment, but to get my deposit back.

5. I believe they have 7(?) days to return the car after purchase. If I return it after purchase, do I get the full amount back, or do they withhold the $2500 deposit. Has anyone actually used the money-back guarantee?

6. I have a deposit on a couple of PowerWalls. Can I transfer that deposit towards Tesla Model 3?

1. Yes. And you get 6 months free supercharging. referrer can get a free charger among other things.

2. Don't know about that.

3. Yes, you can get it sooner if you pick it up at Fremont.

4. You cannot transfer a reservation except to immediate family.

5. 3 days, and I don't know.

6. I doubt it.

And 7, I can PM you my referral code, you'll be the first person I've sent it to.

I am about to place an order for a new Model 3. I have a few questions:

1. Do they still have a referral system? Is it worth getting a referral code from someone? Do I get something? Does the referring person get something?

I believe you will get six months of free super-charging if you get a referral code.

2. They now require a $2500 deposit. I was told on the phone that it is refundable until the VIN number is assigned. Is it true from your experience? How quickly do they assign VIN numbers?

They will refund your money, but they will take their time doing it. Some people waited over a month for a refund.

If you order an "inventory" car that they have available the VIN can be given very quickly... if you order something that hasn't yet been built you could be waiting over a month for a VIN.

You haven't indicated what version of the Model 3 you are interested in ordering. Performance Model 3 tends to get delivered the fastest and I assume if you ordered medium range there's only about a 50/50 chance you will take delivery before the end of the year.

3. Is there an option to get the car quickly if you pick it up in California?

You really REALLY don't want to do this, as CA law requires them to collect CA sales tax even if you are taking the car to another state... and that state in most cases will also tax you. Texas is one of the only states, IIRC, that will waive taxes if you show you paid them in another state already.

4. If I am assigned a VIN number ($2500 is non-refundable), and I change my mind, can I assign the car and the VIN to someone else? Not looking to make a profit on the assignment, but to get my deposit back.

Why would you "change your mind"? This is a huge purchase, if you haven't really thought it through just pass on it. To answer your question though you don't get to assign a VIN to anyone. If you don't want the car but have someone who can take over your Tesla account for the order and you will work out with that person getting the deposit monies back I assume Tesla would be okay with it but only they can answer this one.

5. I believe they have 7(?) days to return the car after purchase. If I return it after purchase, do I get the full amount back, or do they withhold the $2500 deposit. Has anyone actually used the money-back guarantee?

You no longer have 7 days. You have one day to bring the car back if you aren't satisfied with it, three days if you have never shown up in their system as having done a test drive.

6. I have a deposit on a couple of PowerWalls. Can I transfer that deposit towards Tesla Model 3?

Nobody here could possibly answer that question for you. Call Tesla to find out. Tesla Energy and Tesla automotive are technically different parts of the company so I am not sure they could accommodate your request.

Why would you "change your mind"? This is a huge purchase, if you haven't really thought it through just pass on it. To answer your question though you don't get to assign a VIN to anyone. If you don't want the car but have someone who can take over your Tesla account for the order and you will work out with that person getting the deposit monies back I assume Tesla would be okay with it but only they can answer this one.

I have a Chevy Bolt EV. It is broken, has been at the dealer for 3 weeks, and they tell me it is going to be at least 3 more weeks minimum. I am pursuing a claim against GM under the lemon law, but it is not 100% certain that I will be successful. So I don't want to be stuck with two cars.

@Dan123 Keep in mind, depending on the configuration that you order, it will take up to several weeks if not months to match you up with a VIN. If you do it now, you might still get the full tax credit if you're scheduled for delivery before the year ends.

I have a Chevy Bolt EV. It is broken, has been at the dealer for 3 weeks, and they tell me it is going to be at least 3 more weeks minimum. I am pursuing a claim against GM under the lemon law, but it is not 100% certain that I will be successful. So I don't want to be stuck with two cars.

It's quite difficult to get satisfaction under most state's lemon laws and certainly not in the time frame you are looking at.

If, after 10 days, this final repair attempt or inspection has still not taken place, you are now free to seek arbitration under Florida's lemon law.

Arbitration, meaning that you will then be waiting on meeting with the dealer/GM and a neutral arbitrator to try to "sort things out". This takes time too.

Realize that this is after you've formally started the lemon process by sending all needed documentation to the FL DMV. It also appears to specify not just loss of use of the vehicle but three separate documented attempts that fail to repair the same defect.

This seems like a somewhat foolish gamble on your part that you will order a Model 3, get your lemon law claim squared, and have the timing of all of this worked out so that you don't take any financial hit on all of this juggling you would need to do.

Can you afford to carry two car payments for a few months?

If the answer is yes then you should see if you can get in under the wire on the minimum spec MR Model 3 and take advantage of the tax credit before it is halved, although the odds are not great.

You would then make two payments on your two cars until you can dispose of the Bolt, whether that is via some lemon law arbitration buy back of the car by GM OR you get the car repaired and you dump it on the used market.

If you can't afford to do this then you really can't afford to take the risk that you will order a Model 3, have it show up as quickly as you like (ASAP which is likely to be at least a few weeks unless you order an in-inventory AWD or P3D variant), not lose at arbitration with your Bolt, try to "return" the Model 3 and find out you can't, lose a $2500 deposit, etc.

Just realize this is meant to be helpful advice. The worst financial decisions are almost always the ones that are made in haste.

Reactions: CullinKin
Just realize this is meant to be helpful advice. The worst financial decisions are almost always the ones that are made in haste.

I obviously don't want to lose $2500, and I prefer not two make 2 car payments, and prefer not to have to sell the Bolt. But I won't be financially ruined if it happens.

As far as the lemon law goes, in Florida there is a presumption that if it has been out of service for 30 days, then it is a lemon. Unless they fix it next weeks, it will be out of service for 30 days. And the dealer tells me not to count on it.

I obviously don't want to lose $2500, and I prefer not two make 2 car payments, and prefer not to have to sell the Bolt. But I won't be financially ruined if it happens.

As far as the lemon law goes, in Florida there is a presumption that if it has been out of service for 30 days, then it is a lemon. Unless they fix it next weeks, it will be out of service for 30 days. And the dealer tells me not to count on it.

So you know for a fact that right at the 30 day mark the dealer will be refunding your money?

If you can afford two car payments just get your Tesla and then either sell your Bolt or wait for your check to show up for it for your lemon claim. Either way you would be getting out of your Bolt.

Unless you need a hatchback the Tesla kills the Bolt in pretty much every metric.