Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for all of you M3 owners about buying a 3 from a private seller; how to check for EAP, FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I unfortunately recently totaled my MS 70D. In my ownership of the car I noticed a lot of nuance from year to year and trim to trim that I can easily identify a lot about a MS at a glance. For example knowing just from a fuzzy picture of the center display whether a car has AP, has AP hardware but not the software, or if it has no hardware at all. Or where AP2 rolls out in certain models based on the Vin number alone.

Now I am in the market for a 3, but a lot of the non Tesla CPO listing either don't seem to know what features they may or may not have, or are trying to pretend they have something they don't (Ie; FSD instead of EAP).

What are some tell tale signs that an M3 is equipped with certain trim and tech levels that you have noticed?

I think the earlier builds have a different rear seat?

SR and SR+ trims don't have fog lights, but not sure how easy that is to tell.

If the car has a satellite map view, then it has premium interior (so it's not a SR or SR+)

Performance is the only one with the 20in wheels, but they look really similar to the 19in wheels. Red calipers is also a sign for a Performance model (unless it's one of those rare Performance models without upgraded brakes and wheels)

AWD and Performance have a Dual Motor badge in the back. Performance has it underlined.

I think those are the main visual things that differentiate the models?...

Reactions: MountainRatMat
any clear signs that it has EAP, AP, FSD or none on the menu?
You seem to be asking how to tell if a Tesla that you see advertised for sale online (not a CPO car being sold by Tesla) has features such as EAP or FSD based on an interior photo that shows the center display, a photo which would likely be taken while the car is in Park. If so, the answer to your question is “No way to tell unless the screen is set to display the view in Controls showing the AP settings” and even then you may not know if it has the FSD option since EAP cars that have the FSD option do not yet have any settings for that option since EAP cars the FSD option is not enabled yet. You will have to ask the seller and hope they provide you with accurate information.

I would not buy a Tesla from a private seller or a used car dealer or a new car dealer (who took in the Tesla on a trade, could happen) unless I really, really trusted that seller. I bought a Roadster from a BMW dealer in Tampa Florida but fortunately for me a very nice Roadster owner in Tampa kindly volunteered to inspect the car for me. I would not have bought the car without having him verify its condition!

I think the earlier builds have a different rear seat?

SR and SR+ trims don't have fog lights, but not sure how easy that is to tell.

If the car has a satellite map view, then it has premium interior (so it's not a SR or SR+)

Performance is the only one with the 20in wheels, but they look really similar to the 19in wheels. Red calipers is also a sign for a Performance model (unless it's one of those rare Performance models without upgraded brakes and wheels)

AWD and Performance have a Dual Motor badge in the back. Performance has it underlined.

I think those are the main visual things that differentiate the models?...
SR+ does have fog lights. At least mine does.

You are correct. I am asking this info for non CPO cars. My previous Tesla was non CPO and I loved it. Additionally I have heard horror stories about some peoples CPOs. I just want to make sure that I am as informed as I can be regardless of which path I go down. Thanks for all the help though.

Reactions: byeLT4
I thought SR/SR+ had the Partial Premium Interior, which doesn't include fog lamps?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 10.13.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 10.13.25 AM.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 46
So I just looked at the new build page on Tesla's site and the SR/SR+ no longer come with fog lights. I suppose the easiest method for checking whether the car has the option is on the display, I have a fog light on/off switch.

So I just looked at the new build page on Tesla's site and the SR/SR+ no longer come with fog lights. I suppose the easiest method for checking whether the car has the option is on the display, I have a fog light on/off switch.
You'd HAVE to check the menus because the lamps themselves are there on both SR and SR+. The cars that don't have them are disabled in software (unless they've started building them completely without recently).

Maybe treat the sell like people do with an online purchase such a cell phone or tablet. I've seen people meet at Apple or cell phone carrier to ensure safety and to ensure the phone or tablet is unlocked and can be sold.

Maybe a Model 3 seller will meet you at the closest Tesla Service Center - where they can validate all the specs. Or maybe asking to see an official bill of sell that lists out all the purchased specs of the car.

Sam: just curious ; have you actually come across any good values on used Model 3's when you compare to New along with the potential rebates you may qualify for if buying new?

I had high hopes of scoring a used deal for a couple of months and watched most every source waiting. In the end, I gave up hope and bought a new AWD.

I doubt there is anything on the exterior that would indicate if the car has AP, EAP or FSD. The only thing you can do is pm the seller and ask for a copy of the mvpa/receipt (with the identification stuff blacked out). If the car was purchased originally with EAP, it shows on the purchase agreement. If FSD was added later, it just shows up.