Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for those with heated steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the only difference is the part #1 - I think that is very encouraging for the possibility of a reasonably priced retrofit. I assumed that part #2 would also need to be replaced with a version that had extra wiring to support the heated wheel.
My reading is that #1 is the heated steering wheel. It does say “heat” in the part name, and “assy” which I presume means it’s an all in one unit.

#2 is listed once (for LHD and RHD), there is not another version compatible with the heated steering wheel, nor is there a unique harness.

I can’t see any different parts on the Steering page in the EPC, the steering wheel itself is the only unique part and the non-heated version is also listed. Obviously the EPC could be incomplete but I’m taking it as it is to mean that you could drop the MIC steering wheel in, and assuming the software can detect it then it should work?

Obviously if Tesla have gated the functionality behind a minimum VIN number (or a future unlockable option, like the rear heated seats) then it wouldn’t work.

• Informative
Reactions: Kristler
I'm not sure your math checks out. Winter (in the northern hemisphere) begins on December 21 and ends on March 20. By my math, that puts January 18 is less than 1/3 of the way through winter.

FWIW, chronologic winter (12/21 to 3/20) does not match climatologic winter which varies depending on location. As you know, days get longer starting on 12/21 but there's a time lag before more sunshine produces more warmth and that varies by location. In some areas, winter starts in November/early December and is mostly over by late February.

Reactions: glide
Just picked up my 2021 SR Model Y and can confirm it has heated steering wheel. Discovered it this morning. I am in San Diego for those curious where.

do you mind share the first 3 digits of your VIN??

So far it looks like SR will definitely has heated steering wheel.

As for LR, some has it, and some don't, as they seems to be shipping different software version to different area!!!

do you mind share the first 3 digits of your VIN??

So far it looks like SR will definitely has heated steering wheel.

As for LR, some has it, and some don't, as they seems to be shipping different software version to different area!!!
My guess is that the long range ones without it were made last year with the older parts. SR and 7 seaters are newer and more likely to have it

The more I look at the diagram in EPC, I believe that the "assembly" means that the steering wheel comes complete minus the airbag. So a heated wheel comes with the wiring, new metal roller switches, air bag spring, etc. Even so, this is not different than the non-heated wheel, and adding a heating element shouldn't skyrocket the price of the assembly. I think $500-$600 is reasonable, or wait in the future for these cars to be wrecked and the wheels show up on Ebay for much less :). I feel there is a high number of totalled MYs on erepairables.com already, so used MY parts will be flowing on Ebay.

Just picked up my 2021 SR Model Y and can confirm it has heated steering wheel. Discovered it this morning. I am in San Diego for those curious where.

I just picked up an SR Y yesterday. I have 2020.39.110 software. I have the heated steering wheel and the metal rollers.

it’s been frustrating that I can’t seem to trigger an update.. after using it in my wife’s model 3 I really want the new UI (and the much better, seemingly no phantom braking autopilot).

Anything notable about the SR Y over the 3?
Do you find the range an issue in the winter? Road/wind noise comparison?
Significantly slower acceleration or regeneration?

I'm about to trade my 2019 3 LR RWD for a new Y SR RWD.

I have a LR, hitch, gemini(ugly) wheels, grey, FSD and black interior that was supposed to arrive yesterday and I was scheduled to pick up 1/21. Weather or something has mine stranded on the truck two states away from the People's Republic of Illannoy according to my sales monkey in Highland Park. I did ask about heated steering wheels....he said the cutoff is VIN 103 and up. I have a VIN 105 and is pretty much guaranteed to have the heated steering wheel. I'll do a full thermal scan of it and screen shots when and if I ever get it.

I have a LR, hitch, gemini(ugly) wheels, grey, FSD and black interior that was supposed to arrive yesterday and I was scheduled to pick up 1/21. Weather or something has mine stranded on the truck two states away from the People's Republic of Illannoy according to my sales monkey in Highland Park. I did ask about heated steering wheels....he said the cutoff is VIN 103 and up. I have a VIN 105 and is pretty much guaranteed to have the heated steering wheel. I'll do a full thermal scan of it and screen shots when and if I ever get it.

i don’t understand why some new MY has a special software that enable heated steering wheel, and some MY has the generic software.
did tesla decide to release a bunch of MY with special software to drum up some news/rumor??

Anything notable about the SR Y over the 3?
Do you find the range an issue in the winter? Road/wind noise comparison?
Significantly slower acceleration or regeneration?

I'm about to trade my 2019 3 LR RWD for a new Y SR RWD.

the Y does have higher consumption, for certain. No real winter where I live so I can’t comment on that.. I do have real concerns about the alleged 244 range because the consumption can be so high (compared to the 3). I haven’t had time yet to do any extensive range testing though.

I’m sure the 3 is slightly faster just being smaller and more aerodynamic.. but I don’t feel that I am lacking in acceleration with the SR Y

road noise is about the same. There are rattles in the back of the Y that are annoying and definitely didn’t exist in both of the model 3s my wife has owned.

the Y isn’t as sporty feeling of course but I prefer the seating position much more than the 3.. and it’s easier for me to get in and out of.

• Informative
Reactions: PearlShark
i don’t understand why some new MY has a special software that enable heated steering wheel, and some MY has the generic software.
did tesla decide to release a bunch of MY with special software to drum up some news/rumor??

Just read from another thread that a MY got heated steering wheel after software update!!!
That is very good news!!! No detail on new software version yet. Keeping my finger cross!

Reactions: RareJ
the Y does have higher consumption, for certain. No real winter where I live so I can’t comment on that.. I do have real concerns about the alleged 244 range because the consumption can be so high (compared to the 3). I haven’t had time yet to do any extensive range testing though.

I’m sure the 3 is slightly faster just being smaller and more aerodynamic.. but I don’t feel that I am lacking in acceleration with the SR Y

road noise is about the same. There are rattles in the back of the Y that are annoying and definitely didn’t exist in both of the model 3s my wife has owned.

the Y isn’t as sporty feeling of course but I prefer the seating position much more than the 3.. and it’s easier for me to get in and out of.

Very insightful. Thank you!

I really hoped I would avoid rattles since they’ve been making Y’s for a while now. And I’m gonna need the range

Let’s hope that the 20” Induction wheels I picked won’t significantly reduce my range too. I’ll be furiously consuming every YouTube video review that comes out for this thing, hoping that it meets/exceeds expectations.

Let’s hope that the 20” Induction wheels I picked won’t significantly reduce my range too. I’ll be furiously consuming every YouTube video review that comes out for this thing, hoping that it meets/exceeds expectations.

this morning I managed to squeeze in a quick freeway test before heading to work. It was five miles each direction on the same road, the road is flat and straight but has a slight grade to it resulting in a solid 350 wh/mi one direction and 290 wh/mi the other. That’s 320 average going 75mph at 37 degrees with the heater at 66 / fan level 1. Also the car was fully warmed up at that point.

I think those numbers are pretty high if accurate. Certainly higher than our 3 SR+ in the same conditions. But my guess is the Y is just not as aerodynamic and it is prob heavier. Still kind of disappointing but it is a mini SUV... so... /shrug

I also wanted to add: there is certainly no shortage of complaints about the size / visibility of the rear window in the Y. That is something that concerned me going into this purchase. However - unexpectedly I feel more comfortable with the Y when checking blind spots than I do the 3. My wife swears she never had any issues with her 3 but I always felt limited on the passenger side. While the rear window on the Y is “small”, I feel like the driver position is high enough to see clearly over the passenger rear door for cars in your blind spot... and for me that makes the direct rear visibility far less of an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: PearlShark