Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for those with heated steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have seen enough deliveries with heated steering wheels now, that it certainly looks like they are in production for Fremont MY. That said I also still see MY with new (>100K) VINs not reporting heated steering wheels. So that said I had a few questions for those who have the heated steering wheels if you don’t mind.

1) Is your MY a Standard Range RWD? I think most if not all I’ve seen so far are, but there may have been at least 1 LR AWD as well.

2) Is your software version 2020.39.100? Again seams like most if not all reporting that (factory direct) version.

3) If you have heated steering and you upgraded software is the heated steering still showing up?

4) Do you have the new (metal rollers) steering wheel?

Thanks all. Just trying to see if there is a pattern here. I’m thinking everyone one with the new steering wheel may well get the heated steering wheel with a software update at some point soon, but of course who really knows!

I’m not sure why, if all new-style wheels are heated, they are waiting to roll out a software update. I mean...we’re more than half way through winter.
I'm not sure your math checks out. Winter (in the northern hemisphere) begins on December 21 and ends on March 20. By my math, that puts January 18 is less than 1/3 of the way through winter.

I just picked up an SR Y yesterday. I have 2020.39.110 software. I have the heated steering wheel and the metal rollers.

it’s been frustrating that I can’t seem to trigger an update.. after using it in my wife’s model 3 I really want the new UI (and the much better, seemingly no phantom braking autopilot).

Reactions: PearlShark
it’s been frustrating that I can’t seem to trigger an update.. after using it in my wife’s model 3 I really want the new UI (and the much better, seemingly no phantom braking autopilot).

something interesting I noticed with autopilot: I was wondering if when they switched FSD to the "new rewrite" if basic autopilot would keep the old code or would be a trimmed down version of the new code. I think it is the latter.

with basic autopilot, before the holiday update, if I was stopped behind a car at a light with TACC or auto steer on, the Tesla would not move until the car in front of it moved .. and even then there might be a long delayed reaction before the Tesla started following the car in front after a green light. After the holiday update, I noticed that as soon as the light turns green, the Tesla reacts, even though teh car in front of it has not moved at all. It slightly releases the brakes or something, and immediately follows the car in front through the green light. So it really seems like even basic autopilot sees traffic lights, it just doens't fully react to them like FSD does.

Thanks for those who have answered so far. Looks to me like the key to “know” you have a heated steering wheel is the software version, I saw on Drive Tesla Canada that the 202.39.110 is a factory direct version. It isn’t a generally released version and I wonder if that’s why it won’t upgrade yet. Maybe waiting on a version (soon hopefully) that triggers the general availability of the heated steering wheel and maybe activates it on cars that have it already installed (finger crossed), Anyway, just a little speculation. Please keep the info coming.

Reactions: bread and RareJ
Thanks for those who have answered so far. Looks to me like the key to “know” you have a heated steering wheel is the software version, I saw on Drive Tesla Canada that the 202.39.110 is a factory direct version. It isn’t a generally released version and I wonder if that’s why it won’t upgrade yet. Maybe waiting on a version (soon hopefully) that triggers the general availability of the heated steering wheel and maybe activates it on cars that have it already installed (finger crossed), Anyway, just a little speculation. Please keep the info coming.
Until there is a general release of the heated steering wheel, the only way to really "know" it's there is to get in the car. VIN and software version are not consistent tells.

Heated steering wheel hardware is around $1500 (retail). Tesla would be nuts to install it and NOT activate it at the same time.

Software updates for those of us w/o the hardware will be meaningless. It's...just...not...in...the...car...

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
Heated steering wheel hardware is around $1500 (retail). Tesla would be nuts to install it and NOT activate it at the same time.

Software updates for those of us w/o the hardware will be meaningless. It's...just...not...in...the...car...

this may not be true.
In another post, somone took a delivery with VIN 107xxx few days ago, there is no heated steering wheel, but the SA told him/her that heated steering wheel function will be activated via a software update in the future.

Of course, we have to wait and see to confirm. But it is very strange that some car has the feature and some doesn’t!

• Informative
Reactions: bread

What are you considering part of the "heated steering wheel hardware"? The only part number I see different so far is the actual wheel itself between the US and China parts catalog versions. Is the wheel really $1500? That would be very high for just a steering wheel, even for BMW or Mercedes.

I can't find the post where someone, looking at the actual parts, came up with the $1500: steering wheel, wiring harness, and maybe some sort of electronic control module. I didn't look seriously at it, because I'm not interested.

...it's here somewhere...

This is in the UK (GB) parts catalog (EPC):

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 18.33.49.png

Note: M3Y - HEAT SW ASSY, PUR MadeInChina

Curiously it's not showing in the US EPC, but given that Model Ys from Fremont are turning up with the heated steering wheel, I guess that's just an oversight. The part name suggests the wheel is identical between Model 3 and Y.

The interesting thing from what I can see is that there doesn't appear to be any difference in the harness. There appears to be only one harness for the car (1112053-00-D) which would tend to suggest that a retrofit would be possible, assuming the software isn't locking the feature out to a minimum VIN.

BreatherEasier posted this in another "heated steering wheel" thread (Yikes...there are way too many!!!)

"I just looked in the Tesla parts catalog, which defaults to US for me, and it still only lists a non-heated steering wheel. Can someone look at the parts catalog from a China perspective and see if it lists the new wheel? From the diagram, it looks like the wheel and control module in the column will need to be replaced, which I expect will be close to $1K. Plus additional wiring back, assuming it can be retrofitted. Then the issue comes with reprogramming, which may not be offered by Tesla. If the whole job is possible, but comes in around $1500, although I agree this should have been there at day 1, aftermarket will make much more sense to me."

I realize BreatheEasier is making some assumptions with this post, but his assumptions make sense to me.

This is in the UK (GB) parts catalog (EPC):

View attachment 628871

Note: M3Y - HEAT SW ASSY, PUR MadeInChina

Curiously it's not showing in the US EPC, but given that Model Ys from Fremont are turning up with the heated steering wheel, I guess that's just an oversight. The part name suggests the wheel is identical between Model 3 and Y.

The interesting thing from what I can see is that there doesn't appear to be any difference in the harness. There appears to be only one harness for the car (1112053-00-D) which would tend to suggest that a retrofit would be possible, assuming the software isn't locking the feature out to a minimum VIN.
If the only difference is the part #1 - I think that is very encouraging for the possibility of a reasonably priced retrofit. I assumed that part #2 would also need to be replaced with a version that had extra wiring to support the heated wheel.

So not Tesla, but I’ve had 3 Honda's add heated steering over the last 5 years or so. I had them done at the dealer with Honda parts and dealer labor. 2 CRVs and 1 Pilot. They had to switch our the actual wheel like part 1 above, but not any of the other “parts” on the wheel except 1 panel where they added the switch to turn it one. There was also an extra cable. In all 3 cases the total cost was between $700-$900 installed (parts and labor). Now that’s Honda prices, but it’s a price point. None of them needed a full replacement. The most recent was just in October 2020 for the Odyssey. Again, not Tesla, but still reasonable.

Also as to the other comment about not installing hardware not used, the thought that comes to mind for me is the heated rear seats on the Model 3 SR+ or even the FSD computer in cars not buying FSD. I know those are “different”, but it does show Tesla does add hardware that can be made functional later via software, either at additional cost or not.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: laughMan