Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions from a potential P3D owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome, thanks again for the quick and helpful responses.

Is there anything else you thought was weird, different, or annoying coming from a 'normal' car? Anything that took some getting used to? Anything you wish it did differently?

FWIW-this is coming from a Lexus IS350 (and our other car being an Acura MDX)

The rain sensing wipers are...not great... because Tesla saved $2 and uses the front camera instead of a real rain sensor like every other car in the last 15-20 years whose rain sensing wipers work perfectly in comparison.

The nav system is quick and responsive if going from A to B, with the following caveats:
It won't offer a choice of routes like say google will
It can't handle way-points or traveling salesmen routes like a Garmin from 2003 could

I kind of vaguely miss having vented/cooled seats, but being able to pre-cool via the app largely makes up for it

The best music quality (on the excellent stereo system) is from high quality content on a USB stick... that said the interface is very mediocre and it's still terribly hit/miss on being able to resume from any source (and worthless at remembering where you were if you switch sources)

It's a fantastic car, but these little things occasionally make you go "I'm driving the car of the future... but this one thing is like I was just dropped into a 93 camry or something..."

Reactions: hoang51
The rain sensing wipers are...not great... because Tesla saved $2 and uses the front camera instead of a real rain sensor like every other car in the last 15-20 years whose rain sensing wipers work perfectly in comparison.

I've read that this doesn't work well. Is it that they just flat out don't turn on when they should? Or the speed it selects is inappropriate? I've never had a car with auto wipers so it's probably not a huge deal for me to just leave it in manual. The only issue I can foresee there is when it's not raining but there is standing water on the ground and another car splashes a large amount of water up on my car. Normally it'd be half a second to hit the wiper stalk and get it cleared, whereas now it'd involve looking at the screen to turn them on while my view is already obstructed. Hmm.

The nav system is quick and responsive if going from A to B, with the following caveats:
It won't offer a choice of routes like say google will
It can't handle way-points or traveling salesmen routes like a Garmin from 2003 could

Is there at least an option to avoid highways, tolls, etc like you find in Google?

The best music quality (on the excellent stereo system) is from high quality content on a USB stick... that said the interface is very mediocre and it's still terribly hit/miss on being able to resume from any source (and worthless at remembering where you were if you switch sources)

It's a fantastic car, but these little things occasionally make you go "I'm driving the car of the future... but this one thing is like I was just dropped into a 93 camry or something..."

I'm big into audio quality, so 99.9% of the time I'll be listening to high bitrate or lossless music on USB. So I guess switching sources isn't too big a deal, but as for the interface... I guess it basically depends on how well organized / tagged your files are? Can you at least make selections by the standard song title / artist / album / playlist type options that are fairly ubiquitous in music programs? Do you have to arrange files a certain way on the USB? I'm going to go for another test drive next weekend and will be bringing along a USB to test the stereo.

I've read that this doesn't work well. Is it that they just flat out don't turn on when they should? Or the speed it selects is inappropriate? I've never had a car with auto wipers so it's probably not a huge deal for me to just leave it in manual. The only issue I can foresee there is when it's not raining but there is standing water on the ground and another car splashes a large amount of water up on my car. Normally it'd be half a second to hit the wiper stalk and get it cleared, whereas now it'd involve looking at the screen to turn them on while my view is already obstructed. Hmm.

Is there at least an option to avoid highways, tolls, etc like you find in Google?

I'm big into audio quality, so 99.9% of the time I'll be listening to high bitrate or lossless music on USB. So I guess switching sources isn't too big a deal, but as for the interface... I guess it basically depends on how well organized / tagged your files are? Can you at least make selections by the standard song title / artist / album / playlist type options that are fairly ubiquitous in music programs? Do you have to arrange files a certain way on the USB? I'm going to go for another test drive next weekend and will be bringing along a USB to test the stereo.

There is a button on the end of stalk for manual windshield wiper activation. No need to use the screen. The recent releases have gotten better on the wipers, but they are still not perfect. However, they will get better over time with new software updates.

The nav has several routing options such as avoid tolls.

The audio is great, but the browsing is mediocre. Hope they fix that in later releases.

The Homelink always works for me on opening and closing. Since it is based on location, i expect backing in the garage will work, but I am not sure about the signal strength for opening with the car facing away from the garage as you back in. Anybody else tried that?

Perfect, thanks. It's pretty unlikely but it'd also be great if they added more equalizer bands and time alignment options for the stereo.

I want to assume backing in still works, considering Tesla has you back into superchargers and almost all of their marketing images have cars back in to garages. But that thread in the interface section made me question it. FWIW the short portion of my driveway that leads to the garage is 90 degrees off the main driveway. So normally I'll pull forward up the main driveway, hit the open button, then reverse 90 degrees into my garage spot, if that makes sense or makes any difference how the system works.

I am in Austin so my comment are only for central Texas area.
I have driven about 22K miles in a P3D.
I would check around for insurance companies. Progressive gave me a good deal. $300 for 6 months. Over 25 years of a clean record. No claims or tickets.

Just go for it- You will love it. I cannot drive an ICE car now.

Yes, have to contact your state senators to stop the anti Tesla bill

TLO

Is the web site to find out who your state senator/ congresspersons is.

If you are in Texas please call your representative.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I've read that this doesn't work well. Is it that they just flat out don't turn on when they should? Or the speed it selects is inappropriate?

Sometimes either- sometimes they turn on when they shouldn't.

On current firmware (5.15) they worked fine during a decent rain, but once it lighted to barely misting it was still cranking away as if full rain for example. Ended up having to turn them "off" and just use the button the stalk for a single wipe every few minutes in that.

I've never had a car with auto wipers so it's probably not a huge deal for me to just leave it in manual. The only issue I can foresee there is when it's not raining but there is standing water on the ground and another car splashes a large amount of water up on my car. Normally it'd be half a second to hit the wiper stalk and get it cleared, whereas now it'd involve looking at the screen to turn them on while my view is already obstructed. Hmm.

The stalk button works fine for the just clear a splash the thing- but adjusting the speed manually does requiring looking at/interacting with the screen.

Avoid tolls, yes (also avoid ferries- and if you want to enable HOV lanes or not)- didn't have avoid highways last time I was in the menu though.

There's a number of threads on various tips about naming/tagging/etc depending what you're looking to do... if you don't mind it often not resuming where you left off (and not always even going back to the same source) it's....not too different from say common MP3 player interfaces of 10 years ago on a bigger screen... definitely bring a USB key with you and spend some time playing with it... it's usable certainly, could just be a lot better.

Not really. It takes you about fifteen minutes of city driving to get used to the almost one pedal driving. The shock will come after you drive it for a month and then go back to whatever else you were driving. You'll think that the other car is broken.
This... when ever I drive my wife's 335xi it feels like I went back to the past.

Not sure if mentioned, but you can use your phone hotspot to share wifi connection with the car.

1. How much does the home charger weigh?
This sounds like the most 'first world problem' type issue, but with the geometry of my garage/driveway,
the car on the left pretty much has to back in to its spot, and the one on the right pulls in forward.

Either way, this puts the driver's side of the car toward the center of the garage,
away from whatever side wall a charger would be plugged in to.

So I was thinking if I got the Tesla I might have it mounted on the ceiling to drop down in the middle.
Is this feasible? There is no charge port on the passenger side, right?
The front and back wall of the garage have shelving with nowhere to plug a charger into.
I'm a little bit in a similar situation. I park my car, in an apartment building garage, between two other cars,
The car on the right parks forward, because there is a wall on the right side (passenger side) of this car.
The car on the left parks backward, mostly because it is easier to enter in this spot in reverse.
It is also easier to back up into my spot than going forward, but both would be possible.

On the back wall, for each spot, there is a wall (kitchen type) cabinets at about 4 feet above the ground.
When I back up into my spot, I noticed that if I open the right door of the cabinet,
the edge of the door then is just above the location of the Tesla EV door.

So "Voilà!", when I don't need to plug in, I close the door of the cabinet and the EV Plug is against the wall cabinet.
When I need to plug in, I open the door cabinet and the plug is now away from the wall and just above the Tesla plug.
So there is even no cable on the ground, as I was worrisome about someone walking and tripping on the cable on the floor.

You mentioned having some shelving on the wall, may be try posting a pictures, so this could help finding a solution.
I was also considering installing a mechanism on the ceiling, and found some Youtube videos, but this started to be expensive.

3. I've also seen that you can set it to unlock / lock with your phone every time to walk up to / away from the car.
Is there a setting to disable this when it knows it's at home?
The convenience of not having to pull out a phone/key/card to lock and unlock it while out and about is nice, but
I don't want it to be locked any time it's in my garage.
With my phone in my backpack, I just walk toward my car, I can open the door or the trunk.
I don't need to touch my phone, unless I want to open the frunk or to summon the car, something quite cool.
And when walking away the car looks itself automatically.
To plug the car, I press on the button on the plug and the door Tesla EV door opens.

If you keep a phone inside the car, the car will not lock, but will go in power saving.
You can reactivate the car by opening a door or pressing on the brake pedal.

Last edited:

Is there anything else you thought was weird, different, or annoying coming from a 'normal' car? Anything that took some getting used to? Anything you wish it did differently? I know the performance is great, I know most of the technology is pretty far ahead of other brands, and all the big highlights and selling points. As you can tell from this and most of my other questions, I'm looking more for the little day to day stuff that isn't talked about in most reviews where they have the car for a day or week or whatever. The stuff you learn after living with it daily for months.

And I guess on the other side of that, any seldom mentioned feature/thing it does that you find especially cool, helpful, or unique?

There is one thing on this car that shocks me with how awful it is: the auto wiper. For a car that's so technologically advanced, it for some reason can't do something that much older and cheaper cars can do. It frequently doesn't turn on when it should, and when I put it in auto, the speed is almost never appropriate. So I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust the speed, and that's just dangerous.

Another thing that is a double-edged sword is the software updates. Getting software updates is super fun, but since almost everything in this car is controlled by software, it means that with every release, some things will get better, some things will get worse, some bugs will get fixed, and some bugs will regress. They can add stuff or take away features you've gotten used to at the drop of a hat. In that way, you don't feel as in control of the car and it doesn't feel as *yours* as a regular old ICE car would.

Tesla customer service is not what you would expect with a car of this price range. I have never dealt with anybody that's rude, but it seems communication is not their strong suit, everything feels intensely disorganized and chaotic, and it's hard to get straight answers from anybody (because nobody knows anything, really). It can be very frustrating when you need something from them. So hopefully you won't very often.

Those are my only gripes daily living with this car. But it's absolutely worth it. Whatever frustrations I have, I forget the moment I get behind the wheels.

1. How much does the home charger weigh? This sounds like the most 'first world problem' type issue, but with the geometry of my garage/driveway, the car on the left pretty much has to back in to its spot, and the one on the right pulls in forward. Either way, this puts the driver's side of the car toward the center of the garage, away from whatever side wall a charger would be plugged in to. So I was thinking if I got the Tesla I might have it mounted on the ceiling to drop down in the middle. Is this feasible? There is no charge port on the passenger side, right? The front and back wall of the garage have shelving with nowhere to plug a charger into.

Several people hang theirs from the ceiling. Check your local codes to see if there are any restrictions regarding where you can place a 14-50 outlet, though.

2. I've read you can program it to open/close your garage door based on GPS location. How reliable is this and what is the threshold? And how many doors can be programmed into it? My house has an electric gate and 2 separate garage doors. Is it also something I can open/close from the screen or once I set it, is it always automatic?

I have mine set to open/close my garage door when I'm within 20 feet. It has been super reliable for me. But I also didn't purchase a cheap/low quality garage door opener. Lots of people skimp on them because they're expensive, but to me $300 on a quality product that will last decades is money well spent.

3. I've also seen that you can set it to unlock / lock with your phone every time to walk up to / away from the car. Is there a setting to disable this when it knows it's at home? The convenience of not having to pull out a phone/key/card to lock and unlock it while out and about is nice, but I don't want it to be locked any time it's in my garage.

Like others have said, you can disable walk-away lock but it's not based on a location. Honestly, the lock in the Model 3 is just software ignoring the door handle sensor. It's not a traditional mechanical lock. With that said, if you carry your phone with you when walking around the house, the car will unlock when you approach it and pull on the door handle.

4. I guess along the lines of #3, will it only be fully 'off' or able to go into sleep mode or whatever if it's locked? I don't want it to be just sitting burning electrons all the time, but like I said, when my car is in my garage I want it unlocked at all times.

Even when in sleep mode, it uses electricity. There is no "completely off" mode, just varying levels of sleep. That's how you can use the phone key, key card, the app to wake the car remotely, software door handles, etc. The car also monitors several systems to make sure the 12v battery doesn't die, the main HV battery pack doesn't get too cold or too hot, etc.

5. From what I've read, it looks like I can expect about 1% / 3mi loss per day when not in use. I'm trying to figure out how this will factor in when I go on vacation. The airport is about 180 miles from my house. Assuming 220ish highway miles out of a full charge (that's about what I can expect, right?), I'd get to the airport with ~40 miles remaining. Sitting for 14 days losing 3 miles a day... well that means I come home to a completely dead battery. Adding extra time to go to a supercharger isn't particularly convenient. On the way there or on the way back, but there's no real way around it I guess.

I'll offer two suggestions here. First, change the car to display "%" and never use the miles indicator on the battery icon. Look at it like your mobile phone, basically. At 20%, you need to start looking for a charge, at 10% you're in battery save mode and searching for a place to plug in. Below 10% is a bad idea. The miles indicator isn't based on what your actual driving range will be, which makes it completely pointless.

Second, charge on the way to the airport. The battery will be its most warm so it will charge faster, and it obviously leaves you with enough range that you can not worry about the car being parked. Bjørn Nyland has done several videos about parking a Model S and a Model X at the airport, and he has shared several tips. While the Model 3 doesn't have an energy saver mode, everything else applies. Here's a video from an 8 day trip.

6. Looking around the forum, it seems like my $111 / month insurance quote is about on par with what others are seeing, right?

Only your insurance company can tell you what you'll pay, and only you can compare rates with other companies. Insurance rates are so different and have so many variables that you can't really compare with anybody else. Get a quote you're happy to pay, and pay it. Comparing with others is just going to make you angry when you find someone paying less than you.

7. Much fuss has been made about QC issues. Am I right to assume this is continually improving and new cars being delivered keep getting better fit / finish wise? I am 3 hours from a service center, so having to go get issues fixed is quite an imposition. I'm hoping that in another few months when I'm ready to order all those initial production issues will be a thing of the past.

For the most part, the P3D has been less impacted by the quality issues, because it was being made by humans on its own line. I don't know if that's still the case or not, but quality issues seem to come and go. When you get your car, if you like it, leave well enough alone. Pay a detailer to do a standard paint correction like you would with any car, and enjoy it. If there are major body panel issues, tell Tesla to fix them.

8. Other than if you choose to use a supercharger, are there any monthly or yearly recurring fees that are required?

Eventually the "premium" internet package will run out on the P3D, and you'll need to buy internet access for the car. There's a standard and a premium package, so you'll have a choice about what you pay in the future. I haven't heard of anybody needing to buy access yet, so I don't know how long the premium access lasts for us.

9. Talk to me about autopilot.

Oh boy.

All I see are options for 'Autopilot' and 'Full Self Driving.' But I see everyone talk about 'Enhanced Autopilot.' What's the difference?

Tesla changed the Auto Pilot packaging several weeks ago. Enhanced Auto Pilot has features like Navigate on Autopilot, Lane Change, and a few things of that nature. Basically, more than just keeping you in your lane. Auto Pilot, on the other hand, doesn't offer those features. It just keeps you in your lane on the highway. You need to change lanes on your own, it won't do Navigate on Autopilot (GPS/Map assisted assisted driving with lane change suggestions and automatic exiting of the highway).

And what's the point? So many people talk about how cool it is.

The point is driver assistance. It makes driving much less stressful, especially in traffic. And when not in traffic it makes driving more enjoyable.

But whenever someone posts about it doing something stupid, they're slammed with 'you should still be paying attention! keep your hands on the wheel!' So... which is it?

It's both. Autopilot isn't autonomous driving. Just like in airplanes it's not autonomous flying. It's an aide. Every time you enable Auto Pilot, it reminds you to keep your hands on the wheel and to stay alert. If the car detects you aren't holding the wheel, it will beep at you and eventually stop the car.

You are liable for what your car does, so pay attention.

I kinda feel like any middle ground between 'you are driving the car' and 'the machine is driving' is pointless.

You will very quickly change your opinion. Especially on a 180 mile trip to the airport.

So help me understand... how do you use it in your daily life? Do you engage it, keep holding the wheel, maintaining awareness, and let it turn the wheel in your hands as it follows the road?

Yup. Exactly this. Every time I get on the highway, too. But I know where EAP is likely to fail, so I disable it in those conditions and take over.

I'm thinking I shouldn't spend the money on this option but I want to understand it better before making that decision.

You certainly don't have to, but look at it this way. Tesla gives people a free trial period of Autopilot, and the majority of those trials have converted into sales even at the increased price you have to pay after your order. So there's basically a $1000-2000 dummy tax on these packages.

10. I've read they're talking about adding a leasing option for the Model 3. I had originally planned to buy whatever car I get, but after talking to all the other dealers of all the other options, it seems like almost everyone leases. Do you think this will be a good option?

Dealers are going to tell you whatever makes them the most money, so that's a really bad way to gauge what's the most financially sound choice for you. The major benefit you can expect to receive from leasing an EV of any kind is that you'll return it in 4 years and most likely end up starting a new lease for the newest model. If it works financially for you, that's perhaps the cheapest way to guarantee you're always driving the newest EV tech. Otherwise, you should ask a fiduciary what's the smartest choice for you. Asking a dealer is like asking a burglar what the best home security system is.

Good luck, and enjoy your model 3. Oh, and also write to your representatives to tell them that the newest proposed legislation to make it illegal for Tesla to service their customers' vehicles in Texas is bull and their jobs depend on them not making idiotic laws like that.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
10. I've read they're talking about adding a leasing option for the Model 3.
I had originally planned to buy whatever car I get, but after talking to all the other dealers of all the other options,
it seems like almost everyone leases. Do you think this will be a good option?
Lease can be useful if from your job, the IRS allows you to deduct the lease as an expense, like when you by a computer.
For other people, lease is a warranty against resale value, which can be an issue with EV obsolescence after few years.
A monthly lease can be lower than a monthly loan, but you never own the car.

Owning a car (paying cash or getting a loan) let you keep or sale it as you desire, drive as many miles a year as you want,
avoid extra insurance cost, less worry about small scratches affecting the end of lease value, and get the full Tax incentive deduction.
This is certainly the most economical option.

I just read a thread in another section where a user mentioned that their auto open worked fine, and auto close usually worked, but not if the car was put in reverse to make a minor correction in the garage. I back in to my garage space... does this mean it'll break the auto open/close logic?

That has not been my experience. I regularly pull in and out of my garage to wash the car or work in the garage and as long as I don’t go far enough down my driveway to trigger the open/close feature nothing happens. When I pull back in I manually close the door with the wall switch. Later when I leave the house the car auto closes just fine.

You asked about whether mobile service come to your location. I'm your northerly neighbor in Oklahoma and we have no service center. The closest for me is either Dallas or Kansas City. Mobile service has come to my house three times to fix warranty issues. A little trivia, Oklahoma has about 3,800 Tesla's in the state and growing. Good luck with your decision.

>. 5. From what I've read, it looks like I can expect about 1% / 3mi loss per day when not in use.
I'm trying to figure out how this will factor in when I go on vacation.
... charge on the way to the airport. The battery will be its most warm so it will charge faster,
and it obviously leaves you with enough range that you can not worry about the car being parked.

Bjørn Nyland has done several videos about parking a Model S and a Model X at the airport, and he has shared several tips.
While the Model 3 doesn't have an energy saver mode, everything else applies. Here's a video from an 8 day trip.
Some of the recommendations @2:34 are also applicable for the Model 3:

- On the menus display, make sure that you are not always connected.

- Also on the smart preconditioning, switch off air climate control.

- If you have set a time for charging at night, remove the setting time.

Otherwise, every hour, for five time the car will try to charge.

From Bjørn Nyland recommendations, I got a windshield sunshade and rear window cover:

$40 Premium Folding Sunshade for Tesla Model 3
(Maker: "Custom Folding Auto Shade")
(Item ID:183441542442)
(seller: volvopartshaus2014)

$90 Tesla.com - Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade (rear)

Last edited:
1. How much does the home charger weigh?

No need to get the HPWC for home. You can get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed which weighs ~0.2 pounds.

2. I've read you can program it to open/close your garage door based on GPS location. How reliable is this and what is the threshold? And how many doors can be programmed into it? My house has an electric gate and 2 separate garage doors. Is it also something I can open/close from the screen or once I set it, is it always automatic?

It works flawlessly based on GPS. I can't attest for more than 1 door, maybe someone else can, but I can tell you it works excellent. You can always skip as it gives you a warning. As you approach within 25 feet, it gives you the option to skip or activate on your own. Then it counts down as you get closer: 20 feet, 15 feet, 10 feet, 5 feet, open. You can also manually open and manually close by clicking the option.

3. I've also seen that you can set it to unlock / lock with your phone every time to walk up to / away from the car. Is there a setting to disable this when it knows it's at home? The convenience of not having to pull out a phone/key/card to lock and unlock it while out and about is nice, but I don't want it to be locked any time it's in my garage.
I don't know if it has a lock/unlock based on GPS. I know you can turn on/off the auto-lock.

4. I guess along the lines of #3, will it only be fully 'off' or able to go into sleep mode or whatever if it's locked? I don't want it to be just sitting burning electrons all the time, but like I said, when my car is in my garage I want it unlocked at all times.

Car goes into sleep mode when locked after a certain time frame.

5. From what I've read, it looks like I can expect about 1% / 3mi loss per day when not in use. I'm trying to figure out how this will factor in when I go on vacation. The airport is about 180 miles from my house. Assuming 220ish highway miles out of a full charge (that's about what I can expect, right?), I'd get to the airport with ~40 miles remaining. Sitting for 14 days losing 3 miles a day... well that means I come home to a completely dead battery. Adding extra time to go to a supercharger isn't particularly convenient. On the way there or on the way back, but there's no real way around it I guess.

If you're looking at the Performance, you'll be getting closer to 300 miles of range. Your airport being 180 miles from your home means you will absolutely need to stop at a Supercharger on the way back, since no Tesla (or even most ICE cars) have a capacity to run 360 miles without stopping for a recharge/refuel.

6. Looking around the forum, it seems like my $111 / month insurance quote is about on par with what others are seeing, right?

Depends on location. My region pays higher than most of the country (South Florida) but its equivalent to comparable cars (BMW M3, for example).

7. Much fuss has been made about QC issues. Am I right to assume this is continually improving and new cars being delivered keep getting better fit / finish wise? I am 3 hours from a service center, so having to go get issues fixed is quite an imposition. I'm hoping that in another few months when I'm ready to order all those initial production issues will be a thing of the past.

My vehicle was delivered with a paint blemish. It was fixed within a week. I haven't needed Service since. My wife's Model 3 hasn't been back to service since Delivery (9+ months). In a forum, you usually hear the bad, not the ones that have a great experience. The forums would be uninformative if you see a bunch of "So glad I haven't visited the service center in _ months".

8. Other than if you choose to use a supercharger, are there any monthly or yearly recurring fees that are required?

Superchargers are pay per use. No month/yearly recurring fees. Any charge is at home charging in your utility bill.

As far as other recurring charges, there's the "Premium Connectivity fee" for 4G LTE which is estimated to be ~$100 per year. This is based on Tesla's FAQ's.

9. Talk to me about autopilot. All I see are options for 'Autopilot' and 'Full Self Driving.' But I see everyone talk about 'Enhanced Autopilot.' What's the difference? And what's the point? So many people talk about how cool it is. But whenever someone posts about it doing something stupid, they're slammed with 'you should still be paying attention! keep your hands on the wheel!' So... which is it? I kinda feel like any middle ground between 'you are driving the car' and 'the machine is driving' is pointless. So help me understand... how do you use it in your daily life? Do you engage it, keep holding the wheel, maintaining awareness, and let it turn the wheel in your hands as it follows the road? Or what? I'm thinking I shouldn't spend the money on this option but I want to understand it better before making that decision.

Tesla removed "Enhanced Autopilot" as "Full-Self Driving" was mostly feature-less and now only offers "Autopilot" and "Full Self-Driving". If you have the funds, get both. I can only share what Enhanced Autopilot is which in todays day and age, would be the equivalent of purchasing Autopilot AND Full Self-Driving.

I have a ~50 mile daily commute, most of which is highway. I use Autopilot the entire way along with "Navigate on Autopilot" which takes exits for you and also merges you onto other highways if needed. If you have highway commutes, I absolutely recommend it. The vehicle practically drives for you. You don't have to pay attention on the highway; personally, I feel it drives better than a human would. However, it is recommended you remain aware and you do half to "slightly pull on the wheel" every 20-30 seconds to let the vehicle know you're still aware. The reason for being aware is - you are in a machine that could error. If it does error, that could be your life. So being conscious of your surroundings is advisable. You don't need to, but like human error exists, so does computer error. Just remain aware. In non-highway driving, the vehicle currently takes red lights. It will alert you, but it will still take it. In the coming months, that will all change.

10. I've read they're talking about adding a leasing option for the Model 3. I had originally planned to buy whatever car I get, but after talking to all the other dealers of all the other options, it seems like almost everyone leases. Do you think this will be a good option?

I doubt Leasing would be an option in the near future. Perhaps in 2-3 years but I seriously doubt Tesla would lease at least until 6 months after Model Y release (Spring/Summer 2021).

Last edited:
I would check around for insurance companies. Progressive gave me a good deal. $300 for 6 months. Over 25 years of a clean record. No claims or tickets.

Wow, that is a great rate. To be fair, I barely have a 25 year life record, much less 25 year driving record. But, noted, too many variables to try and compare insurance rates.

On current firmware (5.15) they worked fine during a decent rain, but once it lighted to barely misting it was still cranking away as if full rain for example. Ended up having to turn them "off" and just use the button the stalk for a single wipe every few minutes in that.

There's a number of threads on various tips about naming/tagging/etc depending what you're looking to do... if you don't mind it often not resuming where you left off (and not always even going back to the same source) it's....not too different from say common MP3 player interfaces of 10 years ago on a bigger screen... definitely bring a USB key with you and spend some time playing with it... it's usable certainly, could just be a lot better.

Ok, I can live with the wiper thing. For the music not going back to the same source, are you saying you can be listening to USB music, park the car for the night, then when you go to drive the next day it'll start playing radio or something other than USB? That's weird. And also reminds me to ask.. are there any other settings/modes/configurations that must be set every time you drive? Or does it remember the way you have everything set?

With my phone in my backpack, I just walk toward my car, I can open the door or the trunk.
I don't need to touch my phone, unless I want to open the frunk or to summon the car, something quite cool.
And when walking away the car looks itself automatically.
To plug the car, I press on the button on the plug and the door Tesla EV door opens.

If you keep a phone inside the car, the car will not lock, but will go in power saving.

As you walk up to the car, can you open any door? Or does it have to be the driver's door first? Also, there are several buildings where I work that allow no transmitting devices to enter, so it's common to leave phones in your car. So I won't be able to lock the car in this circumstance?

Another thing that is a double-edged sword is the software updates. Getting software updates is super fun, but since almost everything in this car is controlled by software, it means that with every release, some things will get better, some things will get worse, some bugs will get fixed, and some bugs will regress. They can add stuff or take away features you've gotten used to at the drop of a hat. In that way, you don't feel as in control of the car and it doesn't feel as *yours* as a regular old ICE car would.

Tesla customer service is not what you would expect with a car of this price range. I have never dealt with anybody that's rude, but it seems communication is not their strong suit, everything feels intensely disorganized and chaotic, and it's hard to get straight answers from anybody (because nobody knows anything, really). It can be very frustrating when you need something from them. So hopefully you won't very often.

Yeah I can definitely see how getting an update that breaks something you like is frustrating. I hate when apps on my phone do that. It definitely seems like the ownership experience is very contingent upon getting a good, reliable car with no issues. Assuming you do, there's a lot to like. But if you don't it sounds like a pretty big hassle. To be fair, none of the cars I'm interested in have dealers in my city, so if I do have an issue, it's going to be a pretty big inconvenience either way. But at least with the others I know they have parts available to fix it quickly and people with the authority to make decisions.

Again, I appreciate all your feedback.

Ok, I can live with the wiper thing. For the music not going back to the same source, are you saying you can be listening to USB music, park the car for the night, then when you go to drive the next day it'll start playing radio or something other than USB?

Well there were 2 things: 1) The car not resuming if you left the car in the middle of playing a given thing...and 2) The car not even resuming the same source, let alone the same track.... it's supposedly better in the latest firmware (though still not perfect)

Ideal world it'd always pick up exactly what/where you were when you last parked it... even MORE ideal it'd do that by source (so for example you could be 90 minutes into some 2 hour podcast on SOURCE: Tunein, switch the source to radio to listen to check the weather or something, then when you switch back it resumes where you were in the podcast. It definitely does NOT do that today though.

it's livable today certainly, but can prompt a minute of annoyance when you get in and have to spend that minute getting back to wherever you were.

And also reminds me to ask.. are there any other settings/modes/configurations that must be set every time you drive? Or does it remember the way you have everything set?

Generally it remembers settings (other than maybe source and track) though once in a while a firmware update will reset some things to defaults.

There's a number of things saved by driver profile too (seat/mirror/wheel position and a few other things)

One other thing I kinda wish it did, but doesn't do, back to audio specifically, is remembering settings by source (as I find I usually have to turn tunein content much louder versus say radio content, so if you don't remember to turn the volume way down before switching sources it's LOUD)

As you walk up to the car, can you open any door? Or does it have to be the driver's door first?

Any door.

Also, there are several buildings where I work that allow no transmitting devices to enter, so it's common to leave phones in your car. So I won't be able to lock the car in this circumstance?

You could throw the phone in airplane mode, then lock with the keycard, assuming you're allowed to bring the keycard in. (otherwise how would you unlock it anyway?)

Is there anything else you thought was weird, different, or annoying coming from a 'normal' car? Anything that took some getting used to? Anything you wish it did differently? I know the performance is great, I know most of the technology is pretty far ahead of other brands, and all the big highlights and selling points. As you can tell from this and most of my other questions, I'm looking more for the little day to day stuff that isn't talked about in most reviews where they have the car for a day or week or whatever. The stuff you learn after living with it daily for months.

And I guess on the other side of that, any seldom mentioned feature/thing it does that you find especially cool, helpful, or unique?
The biggest thing to get used to is the most obvious. Fueling.

You will need to reorient your head. No more having to duck of the highway and spend 20 minutes fueling up when you are already late for work, but you also need to remember to plug in at night (depending on your normal commute). This shouldn't be a cause for major concern as you will always have some way to work around it, but something to keep in mind. You will adjust quickly, I know I did.

You save a TON of time by not needing to fuel up each week. Some people swear refilling only takes 2 minutes but I think that's nuts. Even if a gas station is directly on your route and you can pull right in it's more than 2 minutes. But either way, your yearly time savings dwarfs the extra time you may spend on a road trip having to stop at a super charger. On trips I have forced myself to not stress about "making good time" and instead am treating my drive as part of my trip. Ok, so I have to charge for 40 minutes (BTW that will decrease with the new SCs being rolled out). That's ok, go in and have a relaxed lunch. It's ok, you are on vacation. Don't stress.

Aside from that stuff there isn't anything else. The car is simply superior to ICE vehicles in every other way. Teslas are getting slightly more mainstream now but I think you will find that nothing anywhere close in this price range will receive the same level of attention and questions. Your friends won't give a crap if you buy a 3 series BMW, but buying a Tesla will have them asking for rides.

Edit, if you have ever driven a manual transmission vehicle then the regen braking will feel very normal. It feels exactly like engine braking to me. My auto open on the garage works flawlessly 99.9% of the time. It is distance based. If you pull up and it opens, reversing back out 10 feet will not trigger the door to close. You will see a little countdown that says "auto close in 20 feet....10 feet etc.".

The car uses Bluetooth to recognize your phone. If you want to lock your phone in the car then just turn Bluetooth off.

Edit, replying within the quote made it hard to read, so fixed it.

Several people hang theirs from the ceiling. Check your local codes to see if there are any restrictions regarding where you can place a 14-50 outlet, though.

Will do.

I have mine set to open/close my garage door when I'm within 20 feet. It has been super reliable for me. But I also didn't purchase a cheap/low quality garage door opener. Lots of people skimp on them because they're expensive, but to me $300 on a quality product that will last decades is money well spent.

Sounds good. My garage door openers are basic Craftsman units that came with the house. They work, so not currently on the list of things to replace.

Like others have said, you can disable walk-away lock but it's not based on a location. Honestly, the lock in the Model 3 is just software ignoring the door handle sensor. It's not a traditional mechanical lock. With that said, if you carry your phone with you when walking around the house, the car will unlock when you approach it and pull on the door handle.

Understood. I don't always have my phone on me, hence the desire for it to stay unlocked while I'm at home.

I'll offer two suggestions here. First, change the car to display "%" and never use the miles indicator on the battery icon. Look at it like your mobile phone, basically. At 20%, you need to start looking for a charge, at 10% you're in battery save mode and searching for a place to plug in. Below 10% is a bad idea. The miles indicator isn't based on what your actual driving range will be, which makes it completely pointless.

Yup, got it. Just trying to get a feel for what my range will realistically be when driving on the highway. I have no concerns for day to day use, I work 9 miles from home. I could drive laps around my entire city on one charge. It's when I go to Dallas/Austin that I'm interested in. This is Texas, so highway driving means ~85mph for hours at a time, A/C and stereo running. I'm guessing I shouldn't expect a whole lot more that 200 miles at that rate, right?

Second, charge on the way to the airport. The battery will be its most warm so it will charge faster, and it obviously leaves you with enough range that you can not worry about the car being parked.

Makes sense.

It's both. Autopilot isn't autonomous driving. Just like in airplanes it's not autonomous flying. It's an aide. Every time you enable Auto Pilot, it reminds you to keep your hands on the wheel and to stay alert. If the car detects you aren't holding the wheel, it will beep at you and eventually stop the car.

Eh. Ok. I guess I'll need to experience it for myself and see what it's really like. Autopilot in a plane is basically autonomous flying. You take your hands off the controls, can look away to read checklists, type data into flight computers, etc. Obviously the pilot is there to intervene if it does something stupid, but while it's engaged, autopilot is flying the jet. Granted flying in the air with active and procedural deconfliction where there's no immediate danger is different than driving 4 feet from another car where half a second can be the difference between a crash or not.

You certainly don't have to, but look at it this way. Tesla gives people a free trial period of Autopilot, and the majority of those trials have converted into sales even at the increased price you have to pay after your order. So there's basically a $1000-2000 dummy tax on these packages.

I'm specifically requesting some quality time on the highway during my next test drive so I'll give autopilot a go.

Dealers are going to tell you whatever makes them the most money, so that's a really bad way to gauge what's the most financially sound choice for you. The major benefit you can expect to receive from leasing an EV of any kind is that you'll return it in 4 years and most likely end up starting a new lease for the newest model. If it works financially for you, that's perhaps the cheapest way to guarantee you're always driving the newest EV tech.

Right. I'm not saying I'm going to do whatever the dealer says is best. But some brands tend to give better rates on leases, and some make more sense to buy. From what little I've seen on lease deals for Model S/X's, people generally seem to think they aren't great deals and buying is better. I've had my current daily driver since it was new in 2004 but I don't necessarily want/need to continue that trend. The idea of being able to 'upgrade' every few years without really having to worry about resale is appealing. So long as after a couple iterations of that I'm not ending up paying more than I would have just buying and selling.

Lease can be useful if from your job, the IRS allows you to deduct the lease as an expense, like when you by a computer. For other people, lease is a warranty against resale value, which can be an issue with EV obsolescence after few years. A monthly lease can be lower than a monthly loan, but you never own the car.

Owning a car (paying cash or getting a loan) let you keep or sale it as you desire, drive as many miles a year as you want,
avoid extra insurance cost, less worry about small scratches affecting the end of lease value, and get the full Tax incentive deduction.
This is certainly the most economical option.

Yeah, I don't have any tax incentives for work or anything that would make it better for leasing.

That has not been my experience. I regularly pull in and out of my garage to wash the car or work in the garage and as long as I don’t go far enough down my driveway to trigger the open/close feature nothing happens. When I pull back in I manually close the door with the wall switch. Later when I leave the house the car auto closes just fine.

Sounds good, thanks. That's what I want to hear.

You asked about whether mobile service come to your location. I'm your northerly neighbor in Oklahoma and we have no service center. The closest for me is either Dallas or Kansas City. Mobile service has come to my house three times to fix warranty issues.

Sucks you had multiple issues but pretty cool they came out that far. Definitely makes it significantly less headache.

Some of the recommendations @2:34 are also applicable for the Model 3:

- On the menus display, make sure that you are not always connected.
- Also on the smart preconditioning, switch off air climate control.
- If you have set a time for charging at night, remove the setting time.

Otherwise, every hour, for five time the car will try to charge.

Got it, thanks!

Last edited: