Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions I Should Be Asking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, everyone.

I will be going to the Tesla store in Oakbrook, IL this weekend. I have been on the mailing list for a couple of years, but I have never committed with a deposit. I will most likely be putting one down this weekend, however.

I've been trying to read as much of this forum as life permits, but I still have a lot of questions. And that brings me to the point of the post. As someone who is completely new to electric vehicles, what questions should I be asking at this point? I have read the basics from Tesla's website, but I definitely feel uneasy about the prospect of buying a car that has never had any real world scenario testing en masse.

Specifically, I would want to learn as much as possible about the warranty and any extended warranty. Charging. Maintenance schedules. Expected wear and tear. Driving conditions. Options. How the screen functions in bright light (is it hard to see??).

What else would you ask?

Thanks

Committing to a deposit holds your spot in line for the Model S. That gives you 6-9 months to get answers to the questions you posed and the inevitable hundreds of other questions that will arise. Real world experiences with the Model S is just a few months away; there will be many posts from owners with both their positive and negative experiences for you to judge if the Model S is right for you. Also test drives should be available well before you have to commit to purchase.

Time will take care of the questions you have; most if not all will be answered when your "ready to build" e-mail comes. For me the most important question was the one I asked myself: Did I want to continue with the status quo and get another ICE or try a different approach. In my deliberation with myself, I decided it was worth trying an EV.

Ill leave the answers to your questions for the Roadster/EV owners and those more in the "know" than me! Where do you live in Illinois? I frequent the Oakbrook store and they will definitely be able to answer all your questions, great people!! I definitely think you are making a great choice.

I have some questions for you that will help.

How far do you live from the Tesla store/service location?
Do you have a garage to park in?
Will this be your only car?
What is it replacing?
How long do you usually keep cars?
How many miles do you think you will put on in a year?
Will it be your daily driver? How far is your commute?
Will you get a winter tire package?
Which battery are you considering?

I have some questions for you that will help.

How far do you live from the Tesla store/service location?
Do you have a garage to park in?
Will this be your only car?
What is it replacing?
How long do you usually keep cars?
How many miles do you think you will put on in a year?
Will it be your daily driver? How far is your commute?
Will you get a winter tire package?
Which battery are you considering?

1. I live about 15 miles from the Oak Brook Tesla Store
2. I have a garage.
3. It is replacing my 2007 Honda Accord
4. I usually keep cars about 4-5y
5. In an average year, I put on about 6500 miles.
6. It will be my daily driver, and my daily commute is 11.4 miles round trip
7. Had not planned on the winter tires, but would be getting the 19 inch tires
8. I am considering the 60 kWh, possibly 85 kWh.

Thanks

Would you be ok with taking your wife's car on road trips? You have such a short commute that even the 40 kWh pack would work but if you're thinking about the 60 kWh, that'd probably be better since you gain ability for supercharging when they come out (optional I believe on 60 kWh but standard on 85 kWh). That said, you wouldn't need supercharging in Chicago most likely. I'd get the tech package and consider winter tire set for the snow too.

They have a great group of people at the Chicago store.