Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions on Model Y 5/7 seater..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm wondering Tesla only offers 5 seaters at this moment and the 7-seater will only be available by 2021. If I purchase a 5-seater now, will I be able to upgrade it into a 7-seater for paying the difference listed on the website or it's been fixed and cannot be changed upon purchased?

And I'm planning to get my Tesla delivered in July to BC, Canada. Delivery period is around mid 2020 on website, I'm thinking if I should get a model 3 or Y and when should be the best time for online ordering? Model 3's delivery is around 8-12 weeks according to website....

Will the insurance be more expensive with auto-pilot option?

Thanks for your help!

It is highly doubtful you would be able to upgrade a 5 seater to 7 seater.

As far as timing on the Y, everything now is more of a guess than ever. US Factory is closed, with no set timeframe when it is going to open. I'm a first day orderer and have had all my information set up for a few weeks now and have no timeframe. However if you are interested in a 3 you might be able to get one right now. There seems to be plenty still available at least here locally. I put in a Vancouver zip code and see about a dozen available at Portland-SW Macadam Avenue location. But if they can't make any more they would probably be gone by July.

Your question about insurance would depend on your insurance company.

With the Model S, it was actually possible to install the 2 extra seats later. I guess for the Y, it will depend on how they do that third row. Many people thinks that they will actually do it like the S did. We'll just have to wait and see.

With the Model S, it was actually possible to install the 2 extra seats later. I guess for the Y, it will depend on how they do that third row. Many people thinks that they will actually do it like the S did. We'll just have to wait and see.

Sandy Munro just posted a video about "Potential 3rd Row Seating" and believes it is going to be rear facing like the S was. This is contrary to what was sorta shown at the unveiling and a couple of other spy photos. Maybe that is why the 7 seater is arriving so much later as they are changing the design after figuring out a forward facing design wasn't going to work well.

Sandy Munro just posted a video about "Potential 3rd Row Seating" and believes it is going to be rear facing like the S was. This is contrary to what was sorta shown at the unveiling and a couple of other spy photos. Maybe that is why the 7 seater is arriving so much later as they are changing the design after figuring out a forward facing design wasn't going to work well.

Been watching what Munro has been posting.
Have to disagree on his thinking of posthe seating position. Rear occupants head would be way too close to the hatch

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Yeah, i saw that too. Very possible, it will be a better design I think since the space is limited back there.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Been watching what Munro has been posting.
Have to disagree on his thinking of posthe seating position. Rear occupants head would be way too close to the hatch
If the rear seat uses up the bucket in the bottom of the trunk area, that would make plenty of sense. But I think it would also mean that having the third row would eat into the cargo space, unless they make it work both ways.

There is a headrest behind your head before the hatch. In rear facing would be your face straight into the glass

I guess my point is there wouldn't even be room for your head with forward facing seats. :) I'm not interested either way, but still curious how they will do it.

Attachments

• mody.jpeg
    mody.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 2,996
  • Love
Reactions: Jedi2155
In Model S they installed 5 point harnesses to control movement. Over 90% of collisions are head on, compared to being hit from behind, so that probably will enter into their decision.

Imagine that no matter what they do, the rear seats will be more vulnerable in certain circumstances. If they could engineer air bags into the rear compartment, some of that concern might be lessened.

In Model S, installing rear seats also required additional supports to be added to the rear framework.

In Model S they installed 5 point harnesses to control movement. Over 90% of collisions are head on, compared to being hit from behind, so that probably will enter into their decision.

Imagine that no matter what they do, the rear seats will be more vulnerable in certain circumstances. If they could engineer air bags into the rear compartment, some of that concern might be lessened.

In Model S, installing rear seats also required additional supports to be added to the rear framework.
Facing backwards is actually safer, in the case of a frontal collision. And those are the ones to worry about most, not only because they're more common, but because to total speed is higher.

90% of collisions are head on? Really? People hitting other people front bumper to front bumper? I think not. I think the vast majority of accidents involve a rear end collision, meaning half of those involved are getting hit in the back and half are getting hit in the front.