Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions on Model Y 5/7 seater..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Model S they installed 5 point harnesses to control movement. Over 90% of collisions are head on, compared to being hit from behind, so that probably will enter into their decision.

Imagine that no matter what they do, the rear seats will be more vulnerable in certain circumstances. If they could engineer air bags into the rear compartment, some of that concern might be lessened.

In Model S, installing rear seats also required additional supports to be added to the rear framework.

90% of collisions are head on? Really? People hitting other people front bumper to front bumper? I think not. I think the vast majority of accidents involve a rear end collision, meaning half of those involved are getting hit in the back and half are getting hit in the front.

This discussion really got me thinking. What is exactly the most common type of collision? While this doesn't exactly answer the question, it is interesting:

upload_2020-4-6_19-40-28.png

I downloaded this data from Copart, encompassing about 151K auto auctions. It doesn't describe the mechanism of the accident, only where the damage is.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve