Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions regarding SuperCharging for 5 Friends with Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
1) Is Free SuperCharge for 5 Friends that expires Sept 16 2018, is that based on your "Config" date? Or do you need to take delivery by Sept 16?

1A) If I configured a P-AWD before Sept 16 and decided to, for example, change the color after Sept (keeping a P-AWD) would you lose the Free SuperCharge for 5 Friends?

2) If you have this Free SuperCharge for 5 friends what is the deadline for giving it to a friend?

It’s based on the Order date. You can change the config as much as you want before they have a car for you and not lose Supercharging (as long as you keep the Performance level.) Take screen shots while you place your order to document free Supercharging because after your order is in progress there’s nothing on your order page that shows that.

You can’t give out any referral codes until you actually own a Tesla product so no one can use your code in time for the 9/16 Supercharging promotion expiration. There may be other promotions in the future. I think the referrals you get credit for are cumulative lifetime for each customer (though the rewards you get in the future might change.)

5CB6C184-B0F5-4986-9422-AF1DBD6A5887.jpeg
I had 3 referrals before I had my car delivered.
Maybe it was different when you got your car, but I done see how someone who doesn’t own a Tesla product gets a referral code today. There’s no such option on my account and I can’t use the app yet.

Maybe it was different when you got your car, but I done see how someone who doesn’t own a Tesla product gets a referral code today. There’s no such option on my account and I can’t use the app yet.

Hmmm, well I bought a Model S last Sept. When I purchased I created a Tesla account & as soon as that was done a referral code appeared. I took delivery in Dec, just before Xmas, and had already given out 3 referrals by that point ... in fact some of my referrals got their cars before me as they bought from inventory while I custom ordered! We don't have access to the Model 3 yet here in the UK so maybe it's different for the 3.

It sounds like the OP is misunderstanding the referral deal, or am I? You give your friends a referral code and THEY must order before Sept 16th to get free super charging, and they must order an S, X, or M3P to get it. Doesn't matter when or which one you order, right?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It sounds like the OP is misunderstanding the referral deal, or am I? You give your friends a referral code and THEY must order before Sept 16th to get free super charging, and they must order an S, X, or M3P to get it. Doesn't matter when or which one you order, right?

That was my understanding.

I buy a Tesla, I get a referral code that I can give to my friends. I can supply this verbally, as an internet link or written on a piece of paper for them to quote to a salesperson if necessary so they can buy a Tesla & get free unlimited supercharging.
A referral code is for life [Tesla ownership] not just a time period.
If my friends want a Tesla with free unlimited supercharging they have to buy a S, X or M3P using my code before Sept 16th, after which point I'm not sure what the referral program will offer.
If they order a Tesla they will get their own referral code ... and so it goes on :)
When they order has no bearing on my order or on my referral code just on what they receive as the person being referred.

Separately, if I fiddle with my order such as changing car colour etc, before the order is locked in then that also has no bearing on my referral code or my ability to supply it.

Although I'll caveat all this with the fact that I bought an S & you can't currently buy a M3 in the UK so I have no idea what a Tesla account looks like if you become a Tesla owner by buying a M3 & don't own any other Tesla cars.

Until my car was delivered I didn't have app access (got the same message as above) but I've always had a My Tesla account as that's what I ordered through and that has always looked like this below, from the day I created the account I have had a referral link. I just emailed folks the link ;)

upload_2018-9-12_17-51-2.png

You're right, I did misunderstand it.

I had it $ss backwards. My Friend that already owned a Tesla had to give me his referral BEFORE I placed my order and I had to order it through his referral link he sent me.

In order to get free charging I had to cancel my existing order and re-order the Performance through his referral page. Tesla Sales person did that for me. I currently have TWO cars on my account. Gulp. They are supposed to cancel the AWD one. But it's still their after 40 hours or so. But they said there is a ticket in the system to cancel it.

My friend had given me his referral before I ordered my AWD. But it took me to a link that said "Order your Performance Model 3" I thought of this isn't for me, I'm not ordering performance, so I never used it. I think in hindsight I could have still used it (and changed it to AWD) and then later if I switched to Performance it would have enabled Supercharging deal (maybe).

So I'm back at the end of the line (I assume, unless some trickery was done behind the scenes but I have a new RN#). But estimated dates already look much better than what I had.

P.S. Went to try to schedule another Test Drive on the performance this morning and they were booked Solid for the day. 18 Demo's today. Because of the Supercharging deal about to expire.

Reactions: CotswoldSara
View attachment 334202
I’m able to see my referral code in both my account and the Tesla app. I used to get the same message in the app but they updated it over a month ago so that I can now watch the tutorial videos and get to my loot box, which contains the code.