Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick, Easy and Cheap non-Permanent Front License Plate Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Someone may have posted this already and I have seen some eBay kits like this, but I installed the front license plate bracket on my daughters Model 3 today using toggle bolts from Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...e-Bolt-Drywall-Anchor-Screws-Included/3385476

Using front plate bracket already provided with the Model 3 and the Toggle Bolts:
2q3yyyd.jpg

Drill two 1/4" holes in the center of both indentations about 3" from the top to accommodate bolts and insert through bottom grill:
sm4o03.jpg

Note, you may need to trim the tape tabs to ensure the red tabs do not show once installed, but I left the remainder of the tape cover in place.

Tighten and ensure Toggle Bolts are seated well behind the grill. Note do not over tighten, only needs to be snug:
2rrno9i.jpg

Only cost $3 and looks great and can be easily uninstalled if I want.

Great post! Ya, I'm one of the suckers who ordered the ebay kit. When I opened up the package, I realized it would be very simple to do it exactly the way you did it and save some money.

This is a great solution for those of you who want to temporarily add a front license plate for:

1. If parking in SF (or other cities where parking meter maids aggressively ticket cars without front plates.
2. To pass inspection to fix a fix-it ticket.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
It's not totally clear from your pics but I assume the back of the license plate holder is in contact with (squeezing against) the upper and lower parts of the bumper? In another thread, someone suggested using some weather stripping as a cushion.

It's not totally clear from your pics but I assume the back of the license plate holder is in contact with (squeezing against) the upper and lower parts of the bumper? In another thread, someone suggested using some weather stripping as a cushion.

It is pressing against the upper and lower bumper. On the upper part the adhesive and plastic cover tape contact the car. Only the lower you could put some weather stripping in, good suggestion I might add that.

I ordered the much more expensive “bandit” front plate... But I think I will stay with the bandit as it doesn’t block the grill.

Kinda wish we didn’t have to have front plates... I wonder hiw much the added drag of a front plate reduces my range/efficiency...

It is pressing against the upper and lower bumper. On the upper part the adhesive and plastic cover tape contact the car. Only the lower you could put some weather stripping in, good suggestion I might add that.
Could also use something like the felt bumpers used on furniture. I did that with my last car and they held from the time I mounted it through the time I sold it, about 8 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic
The link provided is for 3" X 1/4" toggle bolts, which are far too short, and not the same as those pictured.

I purchased the 6" version and its too long, measuring it seems like 4.5 inch seems to be a good size, heading to lowes tomorrow to see if they have anything close, or I'll just hacksaw them, lol

Sorry I used the 6" bolts and it fit fine. Being slightly longer allows it to be easily positioned. You could cut them down, but they did not hit anything being slightly longer. I also have paint protection film on the front end of the car so I have not removed and added any padding to the stock license plat holder.

Sorry I used the 6" bolts and it fit fine. Being slightly longer allows it to be easily positioned. You could cut them down, but they did not hit anything being slightly longer. I also have paint protection film on the front end of the car so I have not removed and added any padding to the stock license plat holder.
The 6 in for me touch the vents when fully screwed in, so I'm afraid the vents wont open as they use a rotating mechanism.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
The 6 in for me touch the vents when fully screwed in, so I'm afraid the vents wont open as they use a rotating mechanism.

Can definitely see what you mean, I have had it installed for about a month and there is no indication that the vent was impeded (scratches on the vent from the back of the bolt), but I uninstalled it for now just in case and will plan to cut the bolt back about 1" and reinstall.

Thanks for pointing that out.