Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Notes on Y, Post-Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some quick notes....these are random thoughts so i'm typing as the come. Sorry, they are in no logical order....
  • Delivery from Houston North comes without Temp Tags due to tax office delays and covid. Basically taking delivery and taking the risk of getting pulled over. Delivery center said cops are aware and should be lenient. Haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood).
  • I watched several videos about how the Y is larger than the 3. Those videos just don't prepare you for just how much larger the Y is. It is significant, in a good way. The extra storage, extra leg room, they used the extra space well.
  • Two of my rear seats back panels were popping out. The clips that hold them in were broken. Tesla service is getting them swapped out in a couple days. They said there was a newer revision of the seats that just swap in.
  • I did have an area between the drivers side front and rear doors with light paint damage. Looks like someone tried to close the front door while something was still in the way. It is towards the bottom of the door. Luckily no dent, just paint and service will resolve.
  • The wire for the pedestrian speaker was hanging out my front bumper. They currently are shipping prewired but with no speaker. The wire was just not properly popped into it's holder. They resolved this immediately.
  • The model Y front seats seem skinnier than the model 3. I noticed this as soon as i sat in it for the first time. The seats do hold you in more, but i'm convinced these seats are not just model 3 seats on risers.
  • My biggest annoyance of the Model Y is the AC Compressor. It is SO much louder in cabin than the Model 3. I don't know if mine is defective but i'll find out tomorrow when my wife gets hers. It's still quieter than an ICE, but the idle sound difference with AC on between a Model 3 and Y is VERY significant.
  • I have a Stealth P. I've watched a few videos of people taking delivery of stealth P's and not having an P badge or the CF Spoiler. Spoke to Tesla and this was done on purpose as they build all vehicles, performance or dual motor, exactly the same to simplify initial production. This is why AWD only people are seeing performance VINS. On FB some of the newer VINS 3,000+ that are stealth are coming prebadged and with the spoiler installed. This will be resolved in the next few weeks.
  • Haven't floored it yet.... I think i've wasted extra money on getting the P....
  • I have MSM Stealth P on Gemini's, my wife takes delivery of her PW AWD on Inductions tomorrow. Houston Service is swapping our wheels later this week so i'll have a stealth P on Inductions.
  • Main reasons for getting Stealth.... Ride Quality, didn't want lowered suspension or dealing with 21's with Houston roads. Range was another big factor. Yes I could've just sold the uberturbine wheels but the suspension would still be lowered and thus possibly a rougher ride. Didn't want to deal with the selling wheels and I think the Inductions are a happy medium. Only thing I really wanted from the PUP were the red brakes....
  • Factory tint looks great. I've read it's 24%, but looks darker. Will have to wait for summer to see if it's actually effective @ heat rejection. Might be tough to get a tint for the front windows that matches. Not sure if factory tint is a film or not, but it goes to the very edge of every piece of glass that is tinted.
  • My Model 3 was an early 14k vin. It had tons of wind noise... tried my best through tesla and aftermarket to dampen it but it was just bad. The Model Y is much much better. No wind noise at all and overall night and day compared to the model 3 when it comes to road noise.
  • The car overall just seems like it's built better. They seem to have learned alot from the model 3. It feels solid and fit and finish has improved. Yes i have some QC issues as stated above, but what car doesn't. Tesla is addressing all the issues.
  • It's a great vehicle.

Interesting point regarding that both P and Dual Motor are built the same, meaning it's probably software locked rather than different hardware. If I knew that, probably would have ordered regular for now and unlocked the performance later. Don't want to change order at this point.

Can anyone else confirm that aspect? I know the 3's had the same VIN value for performance and regular dual motor but still had different hardware. At least from the research I've done.

Interesting point regarding that both P and Dual Motor are built the same, meaning it's probably software locked rather than different hardware. If I knew that, probably would have ordered regular for now and unlocked the performance later. Don't want to change order at this point.

Can anyone else confirm that aspect? I know the 3's had the same VIN value for performance and regular dual motor but still had different hardware. At least from the research I've done.

From my understanding it's just these initial Dual Motor ones that are being built the exact same as the Performance. Just helps streamline production early on.

I may be wrong on this but this was the same with some early Model 3's. Most current Model 3 AWD's are being VIN'd with non performance VIN's.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
From my understanding it's just these initial Dual Motor ones that are being built the exact same as the Performance. Just helps streamline production early on.

I may be wrong on this but this was the same with some early Model 3's. Most current Model 3 AWD's are being VIN'd with non performance VIN's.

As an AWD owner, vin in the 700's, I find this very interesting....

I too am supposed to be taking delivery from the North Houston team. I have a few questions:
  1. Was yours a home delivery? Curious if the interior is sanitized and what’s safe to use on “vegan leather”. I would think Clorox wipes are too harsh but not sure.

2. You mentioned initial AWD models are built exactly the same as performance models but will be fixed soon. What does this mean? Are they built differently or just the VINs adjusted? I ordered AWD non-performance with induction wheels but my VIN indicates a performance model.

3. How long do you have to report any pre delivery defects? Ideally you look over the car and report those before the delivery person leaves. But what if you want to let the car sit a bit before getting inside?

Reactions: Electric Steve
The model Y front seats seem skinnier than the model 3. I noticed this as soon as i sat in it for the first time. The seats do hold you in more, but i'm convinced these seats are not just model 3 seats on risers.
If your Model 3 has first generation seats, then that's not surprising. The second generation seats provide a much narrower/snugger feel.

For 2. After much more reading, it is very plausible that most of the hardware in the two models is the same, as it was in the Model 3 Performance and LR. There is some speculation if there are some different parts but the motors are the same. It seems to be a software lock with a potential slight difference in the inverter.

That said, they offered various upgrades for each version, but it doesn't seem like there are any cases of someone buying the non-performance version being able to buy the full performance software after the fact. They released upgrades to close the gap for purchase, but not identical. Could be to retain the value of paying more upfront. I never had the 3 so can't say for 100% that this is the case, just from what I've gathered from looking around.

3. I think it's 100 miles from delivery, not sure about time. I would probably just go through it right away. Alignment issues are one thing, but chips and curb rash might be harder to deal with the more time passes.

My biggest annoyance of the Model Y is the AC Compressor. It is SO much louder in cabin than the Model 3. I don't know if mine is defective but i'll find out tomorrow when my wife gets hers. It's still quieter than an ICE, but the idle sound difference with AC on between a Model 3 and Y is VERY significant.
Could be the sound from the heat pump in the Model Y (not present in Model 3).

I too am supposed to be taking delivery from the North Houston team. I have a few questions:
  1. Was yours a home delivery? Curious if the interior is sanitized and what’s safe to use on “vegan leather”. I would think Clorox wipes are too harsh but not sure.

2. You mentioned initial AWD models are built exactly the same as performance models but will be fixed soon. What does this mean? Are they built differently or just the VINs adjusted? I ordered AWD non-performance with induction wheels but my VIN indicates a performance model.

3. How long do you have to report any pre delivery defects? Ideally you look over the car and report those before the delivery person leaves. But what if you want to let the car sit a bit before getting inside?

1. I picked it up at North Houston. They kept their distance and always wore gloves when they were touching the car. My wife's is home delivery.

2. All right now are being built with binned performance motors to ease production. I'm assuming accessories are put on further down the production line.

3. Before signing, they take pictures of all defects you point out and it automatically creates a service ticket. Even after the fact, you can still report defects since most items are warranty. I think exterior defects are most important to get before signing.

If your Model 3 has first generation seats, then that's not surprising. The second generation seats provide a much narrower/snugger feel.

I had a hybrid, Front were 2nd gen seats, Rears were first gen.

Could be the sound from the heat pump in the Model Y (not present in Model 3).

That's what I thought too.... we will see tomorrow.

Appreciate the write up! Just took delivery today as well on a Blue LR AWD 20" Inductions No FSD. My wife and I were wondering about the compressor noise as it seemed unexpectedly loud (this is our first Tesla - so nothing to judge against). It seems to keep running for ~30 sec when exiting the vehicle as well. I also noticed the wires hanging (picture attached) but since we weren't home when they did the drop off, I'll need to follow up tomorrow to figure out a fix.

Overall, we are really impressed with the car and the experience. The delivery was seamless and the car is in great shape Didn't notice any of the interior issues (back seats fold correctly, dome lighting ok, etc.) and the panels all look good. However, we are experiencing an issue where the trunk doesn't close/latch when we use the button on the liftgate. if we close from phones or main screen, its all good. So a bit of a mystery there!

With the tedium of the shelter in place, felt really nice getting out on the road and enjoying this beaut!

IMG_20200329_161907.jpg

Some quick notes....these are random thoughts so i'm typing as the come. Sorry, they are in no logical order....
  • Delivery from Houston North comes without Temp Tags due to tax office delays and covid. Basically taking delivery and taking the risk of getting pulled over. Delivery center said cops are aware and should be lenient. Haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood).
  • I watched several videos about how the Y is larger than the 3. Those videos just don't prepare you for just how much larger the Y is. It is significant, in a good way. The extra storage, extra leg room, they used the extra space well.
  • Two of my rear seats back panels were popping out. The clips that hold them in were broken. Tesla service is getting them swapped out in a couple days. They said there was a newer revision of the seats that just swap in.
  • I did have an area between the drivers side front and rear doors with light paint damage. Looks like someone tried to close the front door while something was still in the way. It is towards the bottom of the door. Luckily no dent, just paint and service will resolve.
  • The wire for the pedestrian speaker was hanging out my front bumper. They currently are shipping prewired but with no speaker. The wire was just not properly popped into it's holder. They resolved this immediately.
  • The model Y front seats seem skinnier than the model 3. I noticed this as soon as i sat in it for the first time. The seats do hold you in more, but i'm convinced these seats are not just model 3 seats on risers.
  • My biggest annoyance of the Model Y is the AC Compressor. It is SO much louder in cabin than the Model 3. I don't know if mine is defective but i'll find out tomorrow when my wife gets hers. It's still quieter than an ICE, but the idle sound difference with AC on between a Model 3 and Y is VERY significant.
  • I have a Stealth P. I've watched a few videos of people taking delivery of stealth P's and not having an P badge or the CF Spoiler. Spoke to Tesla and this was done on purpose as they build all vehicles, performance or dual motor, exactly the same to simplify initial production. This is why AWD only people are seeing performance VINS. On FB some of the newer VINS 3,000+ that are stealth are coming prebadged and with the spoiler installed. This will be resolved in the next few weeks.
  • Haven't floored it yet.... I think i've wasted extra money on getting the P....
  • I have MSM Stealth P on Gemini's, my wife takes delivery of her PW AWD on Inductions tomorrow. Houston Service is swapping our wheels later this week so i'll have a stealth P on Inductions.
  • Main reasons for getting Stealth.... Ride Quality, didn't want lowered suspension or dealing with 21's with Houston roads. Range was another big factor. Yes I could've just sold the uberturbine wheels but the suspension would still be lowered and thus possibly a rougher ride. Didn't want to deal with the selling wheels and I think the Inductions are a happy medium. Only thing I really wanted from the PUP were the red brakes....
  • Factory tint looks great. I've read it's 24%, but looks darker. Will have to wait for summer to see if it's actually effective @ heat rejection. Might be tough to get a tint for the front windows that matches. Not sure if factory tint is a film or not, but it goes to the very edge of every piece of glass that is tinted.
  • My Model 3 was an early 14k vin. It had tons of wind noise... tried my best through tesla and aftermarket to dampen it but it was just bad. The Model Y is much much better. No wind noise at all and overall night and day compared to the model 3 when it comes to road noise.
  • The car overall just seems like it's built better. They seem to have learned alot from the model 3. It feels solid and fit and finish has improved. Yes i have some QC issues as stated above, but what car doesn't. Tesla is addressing all the issues.
  • It's a great vehicle.

Appreciate the write up! Just took delivery today as well on a Blue LR AWD 20" Inductions No FSD. My wife and I were wondering about the compressor noise as it seemed unexpectedly loud (this is our first Tesla - so nothing to judge against). It seems to keep running for ~30 sec when exiting the vehicle as well. I also noticed the wires hanging (picture attached) but since we weren't home when they did the drop off, I'll need to follow up tomorrow to figure out a fix.

Overall, we are really impressed with the car and the experience. The delivery was seamless and the car is in great shape Didn't notice any of the interior issues (back seats fold correctly, dome lighting ok, etc.) and the panels all look good. However, we are experiencing an issue where the trunk doesn't close/latch when we use the button on the liftgate. if we close from phones or main screen, its all good. So a bit of a mystery there!

With the tedium of the shelter in place, felt really nice getting out on the road and enjoying this beaut!

View attachment 527392

Is that wire near the front passenger wheel? If so that is the pedestrian speaker wire that is currently capped. Doesn't do anything so you can just tuck it in until your next service appointment.

Well....took delivery of the wifes car...... fit and finish was not good.
  • Scratched trim on drivers door. It looks like this happened at the factory when installing the drivers side mirror. Trim needs to be replaced.
  • Rear doors misaligned. The top of the doors sticks out a good amount. Will take pictures... it is slightly present on mine but not nearly as bad as my wifes car.
  • Trunk close button does not work.
  • Rear seat clip broken (same as mine)
  • If you open the drivers door the console trim doesn't line up and you can see the inside of the console exposed. I'm not sure what else to call it but the console. Essentially the entire housing that holds the AC vents.
  • If you open the hatch, the trim on the right side is popped out and can't be popped back in.
  • The rear fender flare is loose. I think a clip is broken.
Almost didn't take delivery... probably shouldn't have honestly....

With all that said.... I did confirm that my car's AC compressor sound is unique to mine. Her's sounds like my Model 3.. silent. Here is a video of mine.

IMG_1482.MOV

Thanks for the input on the Y. One question I wanted to ask any Y owners was on rear visibility. Is it noticeably worse than the model 3, which for me was the worst rear visibility I’ve had on a car (I’ve adjusted but still pretty limited). I know you can throw on the rear cam but if mapping something I’d like to know if I should pursue trading up and wondered. Thanks

• Scratched trim on drivers door. It looks like this happened at the factory when installing the drivers side mirror. Trim needs to be replaced.
  • Rear doors misaligned. The top of the doors sticks out a good amount. Will take pictures... it is slightly present on mine but not nearly as bad as my wifes car.
  • If you open the drivers door the console trim doesn't line up and you can see the inside of the console exposed. I'm not sure what else to call it but the console. Essentially the entire housing that holds the AC vents.
  • If you open the hatch, the trim on the right side is popped out and can't be popped back in.

With all that said.... I did confirm that my car's AC compressor sound is unique to mine. Her's sounds like my Model 3.. silent. Here is a video of mine.

IMG_1482.MOV
Time to update your signature line! Congrats on the new ride(s)! :)

IMG_1482.MOV

Open, perhap naive, question: How difficult and/or expensive is it to get the panel alignment fixed and will Tesla do it as part of the warranty?

Thanks for the input on the Y. One question I wanted to ask any Y owners was on rear visibility. Is it noticeably worse than the model 3, which for me was the worst rear visibility I’ve had on a car (I’ve adjusted but still pretty limited). I know you can throw on the rear cam but if mapping something I’d like to know if I should pursue trading up and wondered. Thanks

I actually find the Model Y rear viability better. It's a smaller window to look out of but for some reason it's just a better view IMO.

Time to update your signature line! Congrats on the new ride(s)! :)

Lol working on that as we speak

Open, perhap naive, question: How difficult and/or expensive is it to get the panel alignment fixed and will Tesla do it as part of the warranty?

Tesla is doing it as part of the warranty. If they can't fix it to our liking then we are returning her car. Most important thing when taking delivery is to take your time and don't feel rushed. I could tell the delivery folks were getting impatient but her car had quite the list and I didn't want to miss anything. Whatever you catch during delivery, follow up asap with service and get it in before the 7 days is up. I've always read about the QC issues, no clue how this one passed.

Would love to see pictures when you get a chance. This will give me a good idea of what to look for. My home delivery from the North Houston team got pushed out a bit due to some issue getting temporary tags due to COVID DMV closures.

Was it easy to get a service appointment scheduled before your return window? I can totally see the service center being slammed because of deliveries or twiddling their thumbs due to COVID.

Would love to see pictures when you get a chance. This will give me a good idea of what to look for. My home delivery from the North Houston team got pushed out a bit due to some issue getting temporary tags due to COVID DMV closures.

Was it easy to get a service appointment scheduled before your return window? I can totally see the service center being slammed because of deliveries or twiddling their thumbs due to COVID.

Working on pictures... just waiting on good weather to get them cleaned. They were not detailed when I got them which is pretty sad. Then again maybe it will save me from their swirl marks. You can still take delivery from North Houston even though there are no temp tags. They will e-mail them to you as soon as they get them. Just print them, cut up an old amazon box, and seal it with packing tape.

It was easy to get scheduled.... but they just rescheduled it for 10 days out due to waiting for parts. I'm going to push them to address the items that do not require parts now and ask for an extension on the return window.