Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick question about scratch repair, color correction, and Opticoat Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on getting my car Plastidipped soon, but before I do that, I have three deep scratches I'm going to have a local (and trusted) body shop repair using the Tesla touch-up paint, and sanding/buffing the areas, and (maybe?) applying/blending some clear coat on top of the affected areas. I trust this guy and he knows what he's doing, so I'm not looking for feedback on this specific step.. read on...

Before I get the car dipped, I also want to do a color correction from the same local guy who did the Opticoat-Pro a little over two years ago.

I was never really happy with the OpticoatPro results, so after two years, is it mostly worn off by now? Can the detailer (who applied it) remove it during the color correction step?

Finally, which should I have done first -- the scratch repairs, or the color correction?

thanks.

Color correction is polishing, which from the sound of it the Dude skimped on or skipped before.

This guy's pretty proud of his toy but the methods are very good.

Depending on the surface condition they should start with a coarser polishing compound, which would remove any remnants of the Opticoat, then move to a finer compound for final work.

I don't know that I'd trust Dude again. But definitely scratch repair first, as color correction removes oxides, contaminants, and evens out the surface presentation.

Last edited:
Color correction is polishing, which from the sound of it the Dude skimped on or skipped before.
I don't know that I'd trust Dude again.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, nothing I wrote asserted the Opticoat guy did a bad job... just that I was not happy with the results. The OCP finish was always a little bit "tacky" to the touch, and Opticoat Pro didn't really live up to the expectations everyone talks about. And I got his reference from this forum -- he had done dozens of Model Ss at that point (2+ years ago) and everyone raved about his work.

But definitely scratch repair first, as color correction removes oxides, contaminants, and evens out the surface presentation.

Great, thanks, that helps alot.