Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Quick question about used Model S and FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see some of the used Model S vehicles have “Full Self-Driving Capability” listed as their autopilot option. Does this mean that the car actually has FSD enabled, or is simply *capable* of FSD and you would need to shell out the $7k to have the FSD functionality?

example: 2016 Model S | Tesla

thanks!

You need to double check vehicle spec build sheet and ensure option is listed on your invoice if you purchase, and have tesla confirm item in writing before you pay any money. Keep screen shots of spec from Tesla Web pages / listing.

Even if it shown on the car, Tesla can remove it, so cover all your bases.

Thanks for the warnings, but I would be interested too in confirmation that Full Self-Driving Capability means that the paid for option is included (or should be) rather than just that the car has AP2 (or later) hardware? I get that at the moment it means little to nothing but if my assumption is wrong it may means I may cancel my order

For the record FSD does not exist and probably won't for many years.

Level 5 autonomy and TRUE SELF DRIVING is not here, and probably never will be with current hardware suite. That’s nowhere near their question, however, as this poster wants to know if his used Tesla will have the FSD package, as defined by Tesla.

I don’t have an answer for you, but Tesla is being very vague here. My interpretation is “capable” means it has AP 2.0 or better but you’ll have to pay 7k if you want FSD (NoA, Smart Summon, autopark, etc). Some other listings will show “Full Self Driving” and omit the “capable” portion. Let us know what you find out, unless someone else here knows.

• Funny
Reactions: Destiny1701
Level 5 autonomy and TRUE SELF DRIVING is not here, and probably never will be with current hardware suite. That’s nowhere near their question, however, as this poster wants to know if his used Tesla will have the FSD package, as defined by Tesla.

I don’t have an answer for you, but Tesla is being very vague here. My interpretation is “capable” means it has AP 2.0 or better but you’ll have to pay 7k if you want FSD (NoA, Smart Summon, autopark, etc). Some other listings will show “Full Self Driving” and omit the “capable” portion. Let us know what you find out, unless someone else here knows.

thanks - this is my assumption as well. I see more and more cars on ev-cpo listed with this as more cars are becoming available manufactured in late 2016. It would be nice to get clarity on exactly what is provided.

I fully understand the current state of autonomous vehicles. I should have stated that in my original post so this thread doesn’t get off track (as many of these seem to do). What I am interested in, is if an additional 7k is necessary to get the features currently labeled as “FSD” by Tesla or if those are already included in the price. My hunch is that an additional $7k is required, but hoped that someone with a recent purchase of a “FSD capable” late 2016 vehicle could confirm.

I recently purchased from Tesla (UK, but same website as your link, just for UK inventory. I had exactly the same concern as you. And in my case FSD capable was used in the description of a car that had FSD included. However, that may not be the whole story, as the car build sheet also specified Full Self Driving.

So in my searching for a vehicle, I took FSD Capable to mean just that and no more, but at least that it was worth digging deeper to check if each individual car had the FSD option actually included.

Sorry to double post, but just wanted to add the screenshot of the difference on their site...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-09 10.10.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-09 10.10.47.png
    417 KB · Views: 231