Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet 18" tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my M3P estimated date of delivery now at mid to late June, I need to decide and order wheels and tires for street (even though I don't believe that EDD range, but want to be ready just in case). I will be taking off and selling the stock 20" wheels and tires.

This is for street driving only, as I will get a dedicated autocross/track setup in the future. I will be going to 18" wheels. I have done a bunch of reading here (and on TireRack), but the more I read the more confused I get.

My priorities for street tires:

1. All-season (must)
2. Low road noise
3. Tie - efficiency and handling
4. Tire life (I don't care how long they last, in terms of treadwear)

For reference, I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ on my GTI. They handle great, but are WAY too noisy for me.

Recommendations anyone?

With my M3P estimated date of delivery now at mid to late June, I need to decide and order wheels and tires for street (even though I don't believe that EDD range, but want to be ready just in case). I will be taking off and selling the stock 20" wheels and tires.

This is for street driving only, as I will get a dedicated autocross/track setup in the future. I will be going to 18" wheels. I have done a bunch of reading here (and on TireRack), but the more I read the more confused I get.

My priorities for street tires:

1. All-season (must)
2. Low road noise
3. Tie - efficiency and handling
4. Tire life (I don't care how long they last, in terms of treadwear)

For reference, I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ on my GTI. They handle great, but are WAY too noisy for me.

Recommendations anyone?
The stock 18" tires are of high quality and provide more traction than the Michelin equivalent, they were designed specifically for Tesla. You will be hard pressed to find a better tire for a 3.

The stock 18" tires are of high quality and provide more traction than the Michelin equivalent, they were designed specifically for Tesla. You will be hard pressed to find a better tire for a 3.
Most Model 3 in recent months with 18" wheels have stock tires that are Michelins, specifically Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 98W (T1 Tesla spec). However, there have been some recent reports of new cars with 18" wheels coming with Hankook Kinergy GT H426 tires.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Tesla-spec (foam lined) MXM4 are very efficient, quiet, and smooth riding in my experience, with reasonable tread life (better than a performance tire). But dry grip, wet grip, and road feel are all terrible...they drive like sh** from a performance perspective, to be frank. Even my wife wasn't happy with their performance.

Since the OP listed efficiency and handling as tied for importance, I would not recommend the MXM4. It's a very narrowly focused tire, very good at what it's aimed at, but it's not a well-rounded tire like the OP seems to be seeking.

(Unfortunately I don't have a firsthand recommendation for a tire matching the OP's priorities. I've mostly used summer and winter tires in the past 10+ years, and the few all-seasons we've tried in recent times, like the MXM4, don't quite match that priority list. The Conti all-seasons on our Model S right now are pretty good, except they're a little on the noisy side for a non-performance tire.)

They are crap. Choices were not great on 18”. I switched to 19” and got the Pirelli’s P7 +. They are very quiet. And as efficient as 18” with covers on. Longer tread life. Wish I could get those tires on my S. They were pretty new when I got them and reviews are now consistent with what I found.

18” Michelin’s are like riding on bricks. Not the most efficient considering they are bricks. And don’t last that long considering they are bricks. Nor the best at wet braking. Usually you get something in exchange of something else. It’s not terrible at anything, except maybe noise. Oh they are horrible in an inch of light fluffy stuff too. On and expensive.

They are crap. Choices were not great on 18”. I switched to 19” and got the Pirelli’s P7 +. They are very quiet. And as efficient as 18” with covers on. Longer tread life. Wish I could get those tires on my S. They were pretty new when I got them and reviews are now consistent with what I found.

18” Michelin’s are like riding on bricks. Not the most efficient considering they are bricks. And don’t last that long considering they are bricks. Nor the best at wet braking. Usually you get something in exchange of something else. It’s not terrible at anything, except maybe noise. Oh they are horrible in an inch of light fluffy stuff too. On and expensive.
Can you elaborate on "they are crap"? They get excellent reviews on Tire Rack.