TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quoting posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Kevin Harney, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Same thread. Posted by Doug 10-17-2008.

Quoting Elon.

Venture Capitalist Steve Jervetson has seen the Model S design:
    Quote:
    The Model S is absolutely gorgeous by the way, and it has more people and luggage space than any sedan... Enabled by having batteries and motors all low down below the wheel line. And with a cool trunk option, it can carry 5 adults and 2 kids. Many Apple analogies come to mind regarding the HCI...

(HCI = human computer interface)

2. Kevin Harney

#2 Kevin Harney, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
    Doug,

There are no quoting instructions so it is just a guess and I have not been able to figure it out. Call me an idiot but I just don't know how and of all the times I have taken to say so no one has sent any instructions and I don't really care enough to put the effort into it.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Kevin, it's just the [q] button that you can see above the text box. It puts

4. Kevin Harney

5. Kevin Harney

I tried to quote the whole sentence. Did the brackets in the quote throw it off ?

6. Kevin Harney

OH it was the

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#7 doug, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    Sorry, I wasn't calling anyone an idiot and did not intend to make that implication. :smile: (Lazy on the other hand... :tongue:)

You can quote posts by using the button labeled, ahem, "QUOTE." You can also see instuctions in the BBcode list: Tesla Motors Club Forum - BB Code List. Also you can preview your posts before submitting and can even edit them after you've posted.

8. Kevin Harney

So let's see if an old dog can learn new tricks .....

well sort of ... I did not get the picture ... do I have to copy that separately ?!?!? I had it highlighted ...

9. Kevin Harney

Doug I had tried the QUOTE buttom several times and what I ended up with was a

10. graham

graham Active Member

As you are discovering, there are multiple different ways to quote.

In the window where you enter the message text, there is a [ Q ] button which will allow you to paste text in between the quote tags.

If you are reading a post and you would like to reply to it, and hit the [ QUOTE ] button the quote box in your text will say something like: "Originally posted by doug" or whatever as a caption to the box.

Getting fancier:
    If you want to quote multiple posts in one reply, next to the [ quote ] button at the bottom of each post there is the little [ "+ ] button. You can click that to select each message you wish to quote, and then hit the [ QUOTE ] button -- this will bring up your message compose window with all of the posts you wished to quote in their own separate quote boxes. You can then edit any of them to your liking.

And (as you have noticed I am sure) there is nothing magic about any of these quote buttons. It just sticks the raw text of "[ QUOTE ]" and "[ /QUOTE ]" around whatever text you wanted. You can type the QUOTE in yourself if you would like and avoid the quote buttons if they get confusing.

The "Preview Post" button is my favorite friend when I am trying to decide if the quote (or image, or URL or whatever I am trying to put in my post) works correctly.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

First time using multiple quotes:

It's actually kinda clunky.:frown:

12. graham

graham Active Member

Agreed. But the result is nice in that it has the "Originally posted by..." caption on each. When you are quoting more than one person, it is less confusing to read when you have each original author listed.

But the interface is clunky. It took me a while to figure out what that button was for and how to use it.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

My first 5 tries I kept trying to parse the paragraphs in your last post. Turns out you can't break a single post that way. It's a manual process.

14. Kevin Harney

Multiple quotes like this

15. Kevin Harney

So how did you make the quote include the picture ?

16. Kevin Harney

#16 Kevin Harney, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009