Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar and Parking Sensors after facelift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did the OEM facelift conversion on my 2015 P85D. It looks great, but the radar and parking sensors are not working correctly. I read in previous threads that sensors 2 and 5 (below the headlights) need to be oriented with the wires going down to make the bumper fit. I took off the sensor brackets and realigned them with the wires down. Now the car shows that it's anywhere from 18 to 24 inches away from contact, and based on the red warning arc it seems to be coming from those 2 sensors.

The radar initially didn't work so I cut the new grill around the radar. It worked for a few days and now has gone offline again. My next plan is to take the bumper off again and realign the radar so that it's flush with the facelift bumper (versus being sunk in an inch or so).

My question is the parking sensors. Should I realign them to their original direction? Does orientation matter with parking sensors? Will the bumper fit with a side to side orientation? Thank you to anyone that can help me out.

Just finished last week-end the refresh. No need to turn the sensors, only extended the harness for the 2 circled ones. As for the radar, no issues with the setup below

Attachments

• IMG_5931.jpeg
    IMG_5931.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_5937.jpeg
    IMG_5937.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 107
I just did the OEM facelift conversion on my 2015 P85D. It looks great, but the radar and parking sensors are not working correctly. I read in previous threads that sensors 2 and 5 (below the headlights) need to be oriented with the wires going down to make the bumper fit. I took off the sensor brackets and realigned them with the wires down. Now the car shows that it's anywhere from 18 to 24 inches away from contact, and based on the red warning arc it seems to be coming from those 2 sensors.

The radar initially didn't work so I cut the new grill around the radar. It worked for a few days and now has gone offline again. My next plan is to take the bumper off again and realign the radar so that it's flush with the facelift bumper (versus being sunk in an inch or so).

My question is the parking sensors. Should I realign them to their original direction? Does orientation matter with parking sensors? Will the bumper fit with a side to side orientation? Thank you to anyone that can help me out.

AP1 radar before facelift is mounted verry crappy. (Plastic mount on a rubber schrout which changes position when you remove the front bumper, even when pushing a little to hard on the radar with the leveling tool will change position when trying to read)

Could be you just need to align the radar vertically to get rid of the warning. You can check that with a very small leveling tool.

My radar bracket was broken so I replaced it and needed to calibrate vertical and horizontal, after leveling for me the warning cleared after driving like 20 miles.

Just finished last week-end the refresh. No need to turn the sensors, only extended the harness for the 2 circled ones. As for the radar, no issues with the setup below
That's exactly how I did mine and I had to replace the radar due to crash damage.
Aligned and ran the recalibrate on Toolbox and it's been good for a year.

Follow up to this. Parking sensors are working fine, but radar will not work. I've calibrated a few times as per the instructions, I've unplugged it and plugged it back it, I've done every power reset that I know, I've even done a full factory reset, still nothing. 5-10 seconds after I put my foot on the brake to power up I get the "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable-Features may be restored on next drive" message. Any ideas? The only thing left that I can think of is a service appointment...

Follow up to this. Parking sensors are working fine, but radar will not work. I've calibrated a few times as per the instructions, I've unplugged it and plugged it back it, I've done every power reset that I know, I've even done a full factory reset, still nothing. 5-10 seconds after I put my foot on the brake to power up I get the "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable-Features may be restored on next drive" message. Any ideas? The only thing left that I can think of is a service appointment...
I couldn't get mine to seem to get vertical, had my local mechanic do it and they got it to where they thought it should be.
Still didn't work. Until a couple days and about 100 miles later. Then while I was still driving I realized that now the display was showing things again...

I'd think with toolbox it would be quick but if letting the car get back on it's own it can definitely take some time...

Final update, it works!! Did one more calibration and really spent a lot of time eyeballing the horizontal calibration, comparing it to any reference point I could find. 66 miles later it suddenly started working! One tip for others that find this thread is to go into service mode and look at current alerts. Mine showed RadarCalibrationIssue... which helped me have patience with calibrating versus chasing down other possible issues such as bad radar, bad wiring, etc.

Reactions: Gtech and livesmith
Which grill is that? the radar is secured by bolts at the top and bottom, without the plastic duct from the old fascia, there's only the bottom two bolts, is this how you've mounted it?

Also, the old ducting secures the radiator in place, if it isn't reused the radiator can move around. What is being done to secure the radiator for the conversion?

That is ageneric ebay honeycomb grill.
The radiators wer enot touched during the conversion. Have even replaced the crash bar as it was rusted and have not moved the radiators. they are on their own support. The radar is also not touched
Only thing I have moved is the homelink, have zip tied it in the back to not cut from the upper support.

That is ageneric ebay honeycomb grill.
The radiators wer enot touched during the conversion. Have even replaced the crash bar as it was rusted and have not moved the radiators. they are on their own support. The radar is also not touched
Only thing I have moved is the homelink, have zip tied it in the back to not cut from the upper support.
So you left the air duct in place and did not remove it. Good to know.