Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar disconnect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had the plaid in for service. Now the home link doesn't work. After reviewing the service record, it says Tesla disconnected the radar sensor in the front of the car, which requires removal of the front bumper.

I am pretty sure they may have disconnected the home link instead. Ever since that service visit it hasn't worked.

I removed the front tub and the wiring harness is taped off on the driver's side, and the radar is toward the passenger side, according to the service information.

I set the vehicle into service mode and tested homelink there, but the gateway is unable to read the module...

Anyone experience this?

Welcome to TMC!

Maybe they had to disconnect both when they removed the bumper but forgot to reconnect Homelink. In any case, I'd take it back to the service center and have them fix the Homelink issue.

Other than the Homelink issue, I assume you're thoroughly enjoying your Plaid?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm almost positive they disconnected the wrong thing. They didn't even notify me they were going to perform this work before they started, and didn't even fix the initial problem it was in service for... It can be frustrating. As a former tech, even moreso.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome in case this same thing happens to someone else. Right now I'm debating on whether to perform the fix myself, since scheduling an appointment will set me back another 2 to 3 weeks.

Upvote 0
I am taking my MS refresh 2021 for paint peeling but I notice they are going to perform two additional warranty work.

Do you recommend not doing this? Because I hate to mess up my car it working flawlessly

Only thing I notice when I reverse full turn in reverse slightly judders but when turning forward with full turn nothing

Attachments

• IMG_8356.jpeg
    IMG_8356.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0
I am taking my MS refresh 2021 for paint peeling but I notice they are going to perform two additional warranty work.

Do you recommend not doing this? Because I hate to mess up my car it working flawlessly

Only thing I notice when I reverse full turn in reverse slightly judders but when turning forward with full turn nothing
I think you eventually have to disconnect the radar, or according to some folks poking around the software, you’ll stop getting software updates if the radar=true. Apparently there’s a technical hurdle to overcome that doesn’t work unless the radar is disabled physically, not just in software.

Reactions: saj070
Upvote 0
Update: took it back to SC no need for appointment they said 15 min actually took 1 hour because they needed a wire to reconnect homelink. I do not know what they used or what connection they made but as soon as I got home reprogram everything works perfectly so if you go to disable radar double check if homelink can go into programmming mode

Upvote 0
My Plaid is actually in service at this moment to resolve my center console lighting mix up (3rd time in for this) AND they added remove radar sensor. I just pinged my SA and gently requested that they nudge the tech to make sure that he remembers to plug it back in.
I hope I don't come off like some a-hole for asking, but Im kinda tired of bringing the car in to have them screw something else up.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Evee
Upvote 0
My Plaid is actually in service at this moment to resolve my center console lighting mix up (3rd time in for this) AND they added remove radar sensor. I just pinged my SA and gently requested that they nudge the tech to make sure that he remembers to plug it back in.
I hope I don't come off like some a-hole for asking, but Im kinda tired of bringing the car in to have them screw something else up.
To follow up here: My radar was successfully disconnected and my homelink continues to work! Unfortunately though, my console is still not right. The lower light now only turns on when the main door is started to close. It is going to have to go back for the 4th time for this now. Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 6.25.38 AM.jpg

Upvote 0
I took the car back in and they said the homelink works as designed. WOW. The function for homelink doesn't even show in the settings anymore. What a joke. All the missing clips from the bumper are still missing, so I doubt they even checked. So now I have another service scheduled as a mobile service in 2 weeks. This is what I was trying to avoid. Each time they haven't been able to resolve the issues, or they've caused more issues. I could fix it myself, but that beside the point. But for them to tell me it's working as intended is really annoying.

Upvote 1
I took the car back in and they said the homelink works as designed. WOW. The function for homelink doesn't even show in the settings anymore. What a joke. All the missing clips from the bumper are still missing, so I doubt they even checked. So now I have another service scheduled as a mobile service in 2 weeks. This is what I was trying to avoid. Each time they haven't been able to resolve the issues, or they've caused more issues. I could fix it myself, but that beside the point. But for them to tell me it's working as intended is really annoying.
Wow you really having problem with SC
My SC is awesome so helpful go beyond my expectations and always fix everything even something not required if they see anything they will take care of it

This is highland Park SC in IL
Nothing but the best service i have had great experience

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0

Re clips....here is what I learned on the MS.

Buy all the parts in advance.

Disassemble panels and clean all areas where clips are attached.

Press firmly the 3M foam tape for 60 sec.

Do not install panels or load clips in any way for 12-24 hrs.

Avoid service if at all possible. Mobile as a last resort. Make sure you watch everything they do and count their tools before they leave to avoid FOD.

Lastly, set your expectations as low as possible. Plan for at least one broken part, or missing part.

Reactions: Evee
Upvote 0