Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts as which one to buy? Also location of mounting etc. ? It would seem a good place to be mounted is inside the small storage area below the large screen. Thoughts?
Do you really think law enforcement uses radar units that are Made by Mattel?? The shift to laser units happened many years ago. They point the laser gun at a specific car and Bingo, they have you.

You can buy and install a radar detector if it makes you feel safer, but if your detector starts singing, LE already knows your speed.

You'd almost be better off using Waze on your phone and relying on other drivers to report LE presence.

A Radar Detector only solution is useless unless you also add a laser defense system. When hit with Laser a radar detector is just a ticket notifier.

Here is the AL Priority Laser System with full front laser jamming and Net Radar radar antenna below my license plate.

Tesla-Final-Front.jpg

Reactions: VT_EE
Do you really think law enforcement uses radar units that are Made by Mattel?? The shift to laser units happened many years ago. They point the laser gun at a specific car and Bingo, they have you.

You can buy and install a radar detector if it makes you feel safer, but if your detector starts singing, LE already knows your speed.

Do you not understand how LIDAR or RADAR works?

Laser/LIDAR is nearly instantaneous, and without any protections, you're right -- if your LASER detector goes off, you're most likely being clocked with essentially zero reaction time. But most advanced laser detector systems are actually laser shifters, that take the laser gun beam, scramble it, and sends it back to the gun to confuse the readings and obscure your actual speed. They typically do this for one to two seconds and then stop, giving you just enough time to lower your speed near or close to the limit. By the time the LEO gets an accurate reading, you are safe. These systems are very effective at avoiding a speeding ticket with laser guns. They have saved me at least 10 times from getting a speeding ticket over the last 5 years or so.

Radar on the other hand, is a hugely noisy system and most good radar detectors can pick up radar scatter sometimes from miles away.

Around here, I'd say it's about 50/50 between LIDAR and RADAR speed enforcement.

Waze is a good adjunct with laser/radar detection, but the 50% of the time the data is stale, or not up to date yet. So it helps, for sure, but I surely wouldn't rely on it as my single level of speeding enforcement protection.

Oh, and one final note. The most powerful and reliable method for avoiding speeding tickets is situational awareness. That, by far, as saved me from more tickets than I can count.

Where would you go to have a laser jammer/shifter installed, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself? Is this typically offered by high end stereo shops? Roughly, what should one budget for a such system?
Check out rdforum.org - look for recommendations for your local area. The price of the installation depends on how many antennas and laser heads you want to install, and how well you want it integrated (from sticky tape on the dash to custom designed panels with factory looking buttons and a in-mirror display for example).