Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio (FM) volume changes to low while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the threads and cannot seem to find a similar scenario, so here goes:

Randomly, the FM radio volume drops and I have to manually crank it back up. I know some vehicles lower the volume when you slow down and bring the volume back up when you accelerate, but this is while at a steady speed.

The BT/USB does not have this issue.

I've checked the FM "signal meter" next to the station and usually have 2-3 bars at least. Sometimes the HD icon is on and sometimes not, depending on station.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I have the exact same issues with the FM radio. It randomly increases and decreases volume. It doesn't appear to matter the station signal strength. I got an alert a couple of days ago that said: “An unexpected condition has been detected with the Power Conversion System on your Model 3. A replacement part has been pre-shipped to your preferred Tesla Service Center. Please use your Tesla Mobile App or your Tesla account to schedule a service visit appointment now.”

I wonder if this is somehow related. I will be taking it for service on Monday. We'll see what happens.

I don’t think I’ve listened to FM long enough yet to notice.

But you are probably bouncing between FM (analog) and HD FM (digital). It could be the station or a bug that they (Tesla) don’t have the levels matched correctly.

Does it happen with more than one station?
Might be hard to find 2 stations that are on the edge of bouncing between analog and digital.

I forget if on this radio if you can turn off HD. If you can try toggling it on an HD station and see if volume changes.

BTW part of the reason I don’t use FM is every local station I listen to is available via TuneIn app (available in the car) which works way better than FM or HD FM for me. 90% of the FM stations are now streamable these days.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issues with the FM radio. It randomly increases and decreases volume. It doesn't appear to matter the station signal strength. I got an alert a couple of days ago that said: “An unexpected condition has been detected with the Power Conversion System on your Model 3. A replacement part has been pre-shipped to your preferred Tesla Service Center. Please use your Tesla Mobile App or your Tesla account to schedule a service visit appointment now.”

I wonder if this is somehow related. I will be taking it for service on Monday. We'll see what happens.

Doubt it.

Thanks all for the feedback. I will try toggling the HD to see if that is an issue. And yes, it happens on multiple stations, but I am not sure that all the stations that I have listened to have both HD and analog. I will check on the way home tonight. Thanks all.

Do our cars have speed sensitive volume control, ie the volume will increase as the speed increases to compensate for road noise?

If so, is it controble, and where is this function located?

It is my understanding it does (only based on reading forums) and cannot be shut off.
I usually turn those things off if there is the option, because your ears "auto adjust" based on background noise.
Now you have two systems "auto adjusting". I think if Tesla does have it, it's fairly mild though.