Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain-x or similar for windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I just got my car back from ppf and ceramic coating yesterday and it got me thinking about the windows.

There are a lot of windows on a model 3. Is anyone doing anything to make them stay as clean as the paint? I have used Rain-x on past cars but curious if there is something preferred in the Tesla communities. How about the exterior mirrors?

I had my windows ceramic coated, and found it works better than rainx. But here's a great product that I'm using to top up my hydrophobic coating every couple of weeks. Seriously worth it. I washed my wifes bolt a few weeks back and did the quick and dirty application (spray on wet car, then hit it with a pressure washer) and it was crazy how well it worked at bringing the gloss up and 3 weeks later her car is pretty much as clean as mine which is ceramic coated.....

P&S BeadMaker Paint Protectant (128oz)

Its actually on sale now, well worth the price....pics of my wife's bolt after cleaning below....

upload_2019-8-30_11-39-9.png

upload_2019-8-30_11-39-57.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78 and CdnElec
Been doing this on all my cars windscreens and works great.

1. Clean outside windscreen with Invisible Glass
2. Use 0000 Steel Wool and clean/scrub entire windscreen. Use compressed air to blow off any used steel wool bits.
3. Apply 2 coats of RainX
4. Enjoy as you don't even need to use wipers in the rain!!

Cheap and easy to do. Last for several months.

• Informative
Reactions: CdnElec and 03DSG
Hi all, I just got my car back from ppf and ceramic coating yesterday and it got me thinking about the windows.

There are a lot of windows on a model 3. Is anyone doing anything to make them stay as clean as the paint? I have used Rain-x on past cars but curious if there is something preferred in the Tesla communities. How about the exterior mirrors?

I’ve been using Rain-X original (small spout squeeze bottle) on all my exterior glass for 14 months now. Including the roof. Zero issues. Works great with the wipers. No skipping or noise at all. I reapply about every 6 months on the windshield but the rest of of the exterior glass lasts well over a year. Makes it super easy to clean them as well. I wash the car with a Ph neutral soap and only clean the outside glass with Invisible Glass.
I don’t use it or anything else on the exterior mirrors.

• Informative
Reactions: CdnElec
Don’t use rain-x on a Model S. Wipers skip and shudder.
After that experience I’m afraid to try it on my 3. After watching heavy rain run off the roof glass on the 3 into the trunk I do not want to apply it there either.
Have used it on all my other cars and airplanes. Love it.

• Informative
Reactions: CdnElec