Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ramps for loading heavy things into trunk of Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently bought a large portable generator. At the store they lifted it in to the back of my Model Y. When I got it home I struggled to get it out and basically slid it out the back. It was in the box so no big deal. In the future I might want to take that generator with me, or other large items. It would be nice to have a couple of ramp boards to roll the generator up onto and into the hatch, and vice versa.

Such a product wouldn't have to be super expensive like the $450 aluminum parts I see on Amazon that will load 6,000 pounds. Probably all I'd need would be some kind of adapter that would fit the rear of the car and attach some 2x10 lumber pieces for the ramps.

Anything like this exist? Thoughts?

No idea how heavy those items are, but as a FYI...

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Specifically those specs quoted below but there is other important info there too. You might need to put down an additional sheet of plywood or similar in the rear trunk area if exceeding those, to spread out the weight? No idea, but there must be some reason as to why those specifc limits are mentioned.
CAUTION
Never load more than 55 lbs (25 kg) in the front trunk. Doing so can cause damage.

CAUTION
Never load more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear load floor (above the lower trunk compartment) or more than 285 lbs (130 kg) in the lower trunk compartment. Doing so can cause damage.

I do not know of any specific ready made solution here, and I've never tried to load any single item that exceeded those quoted limits above. Lots of smaller items that might cumulatively amount to that weight limit, but no single heavy/awkward item.

As for a ramp or similar, it would probably help if your MY had a hitch (you never mentioned that above), that would open up more alternatives for how to support any kind of loading assist or ramp and reduce the risk of damage to your bumper and car while loading/unload items, or having your ramps slide off.

If you are handy with building your own solution and do not have a hitch, one potential area to look into might be some sort of extending pole or cross member to go from driver's side pocket to the passenger's side pocket in the rear as a way to secure any ramp to the car and not have it slide in or out. I am talking about those storage pockets/wells in the rear on each side, each one is big enough for 3-4 two liter bottles of pop. Then attach whatever to that pole or cross member? Might be starting point to making your own ramp.

Curious to see what others have done here or recommend, for future reference for myself. Perhaps those with larger dogs that cannot get in/out without some assistance have a special trick or mechanism, to help them load/unload.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Last edited:
Never load more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear load floor
130 lbs? That's nothing. Well that seems really lame anyway. I'm no expert on such matters.

The generator I just bought weighs about 150 lbs. Was thinking about returning it for a bigger model at 250 lbs. A few months ago I brought home two of these from Sam's Club

Don't know how much they weigh in their boxes, but they seemed pretty damned heavy.