Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran off the road while trying to find the horn. Aftermarket horn button options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fine with the yoke, I am absolutely done with the touch horn button. I was ran off the road at 45mph by someone merging into me, entire time desperately trying to swerve to avoid them while hunting for the horn.

I made a service request and the response was basically that they can't add the airbag style horn to my 2021 S.

Are there aftermarket solutions?

I'm fine with the yoke, I am absolutely done with the touch horn button. I was ran off the road at 45mph by someone merging into me, entire time desperately trying to swerve to avoid them while hunting for the horn.

I made a service request and the response was basically that they can't add the airbag style horn to my 2021 S.

Are there aftermarket solutions?

no need to push the button - you can push all the buttons with your palm and this will also activate the horn

Reactions: jdw and Willy3988
Time to turn back the clock and use the good old 1680152388551.png ;)

I was thinking S3XY button too.

Link
IMO, lack of center horn (not the yoke), is the biggest issue of the refreshed S.

I have S3XY buttons. But if it's like any other functions, there's a potential pause, especially when you use it for the first time in the car for that drive. Not reliable enough.

The best "semi" solution I came up w/ was putting an epoxy button over the horn button. It's better but still not perfect, as when the yoke is not in 12 o'clock, it's still a pain to find it.

I was hoping the round steering would have center horn, but no luck.

Driving in SoCal, I keep my right fist clenched, envisioning giving the five finger death punch to the idiots around me. When the occasion arrives, I aim for the middle of the wheel as instinct would have it, then deftly roll to the side and smack the edge of the airbag cover with the side of my hand actuating the horn as Elon intended.

This person got a good 5 second blast...

I have the S3XY buttons and made one for the horn, put it at the bottom of the yoke face, I find it easier to locate no matter how the yoke is turned. BUT, the huge issue with using S3XY for the horn is that there is a 2-3 second delay. So, when I use the S3XY horn button, the honk is well after it's needed and no longer effective, other than making others wonder why I'm honking. My 2023 MS has a movable center on the yoke, so it seems it is ready for whatever software update they intent to do... one day... I love my MS, it's my 3rd (2017, 2019 and now 2023) but I am annoyed & dismayed that this critical safety issue software update hasn't been accelerated...

I have the S3XY buttons and made one for the horn, put it at the bottom of the yoke face, I find it easier to locate no matter how the yoke is turned. BUT, the huge issue with using S3XY for the horn is that there is a 2-3 second delay. So, when I use the S3XY horn button, the honk is well after it's needed and no longer effective, other than making others wonder why I'm honking. My 2023 MS has a movable center on the yoke, so it seems it is ready for whatever software update they intent to do... one day... I love my MS, it's my 3rd (2017, 2019 and now 2023) but I am annoyed & dismayed that this critical safety issue software update hasn't been accelerated...
I wouldn’t count on getting a real and normal functioning horn on your yoke wheel. The movable center might just be a loose part. 😃 The new air bags that come with the new rounded wheels are not horn capable so I don’t think we’ll see that possibility with a software update. I’d love to be proven wrong but the Tesla installer guy says otherwise.

I wouldn’t count on getting a real and normal functioning horn on your yoke wheel. The movable center might just be a loose part. 😃 The new air bags that come with the new rounded wheels are not horn capable so I don’t think we’ll see that possibility with a software update. I’d love to be proven wrong but the Tesla installer guy says otherwise.
I hear what you're saying, but the moveable part feels just like the horn on my Audi SQ5... not a loose part... But, I hear you! Still...I'm skeptical of everyone and everything! :)