Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Roadster Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A4mYfXFCQAAr0BG.jpg

Twitter / vitaemobility: E-experience @Abb_benelux! ...

Dang, I wish I could have taken a photo. Saw a red and black Roadster Sport with it's ragtop on this afternoon around Gurnee, IL. I was heading into Waukegan when I spotted the Roadster coming off Ruth Wilcox Ave, turning west onto Route 120 toward Grayslake. I turned around and headed back to see if I could catch it at a light. Sure enough, it was one car length ahead at O'Plane Road. Odd thing was the driver seemed to ease on the accelerator and never exceeded 45 MPH in a 55 zone. Then the driver pulled over at Hanlon Road as if they were going to turn left. I passed and circled back at River Road, but they had pulled back onto 120 and were now in the right lane driving cautiously again. Made me think this was a test drive or they were lost.

Strange that I should spot two different Roadsters less than a month apart from each other. A friend of mine had also reported seeing a red Roaster up around Gurnee several months back, and I wonder if this was the same one.

Double Vision - Stopped by off of Stevens Creek AT&T on Friday to purchase a data plan and sim for my new OVMS module and came across the same exact Roadster as mine, 1.5 Radiant Red with the gunmetal rims. Its number #400 where mine is #268. The interior was different, gray seats, plus it had the CF package inside. The owner came out since she never seen a match like her car and had to take a photo op. She's also awaiting delivery of her Model-S as well :)

536294_4685282298919_755657767_n.jpg
155128_4685282858933_224072479_n.jpg

Photos hastily taken on the M25 London orbital motorway, 15th Oct 2012.

This might seem insignificant to folks in the USA, but there are only a dozen or two RHD Tesla's in the entire UK, so passing one whilst driving another is a very rare occurrence over here ! Its also the first time I've ever seen another in the wild in the UK.

I didn’t recognise the car, registration or owner though, and as far as I know he is not active on the forum.

M25encounter.jpg

M25encounter2.jpg

What am I misunderstanding?
Aren't most/all of the Tesla's in the UK RHD, and aren't there many more than a couple dozen Tesla's in the UK?

I can't be certain of the exact split between LHD / RHD, but last time I discussed it with anyone at Tesla UK, I think they said there's about 75 UK registered Roadsters from 2008 onwards.

I've got a folder on my PC full of photos / webshots of various UK cars, and loosely speaking about 2/3 rds show LHD cars with 2008/9/10 year plates on them.

I think RHD cars only became available in mid 2010 or thereabouts, for the UK, Hong Kong, Japan and Oz markets.

Hey, check out those racing seats in the Roadster to the right, the one wiht he BB TS536 plate. They look like the full race harness seats, look pretty nice. Wish there was a close up pic of that. As for that big European plate, I'd definitely swap it for a smaller one like the one on the left Roadster to add more air-flow through the radiator.

in a parking garage adjacent to the federal building in SF (my rental car is parked next to the roadster... of course the only time i see a roadster in this parking structure -- and am able to park next to it -- my own roadster is at tesla being serviced!)

[for some reason i am unable to upload files... did something change in terms of file size limits or is something broken? any ETA on fixing?]

Last edited:
Yesterday, I parked at Santana Row. When I came back, the test drive Model S car was also there, and there was a small crowd of about a dozen people, but surprisingly enough, they weren't gathered around the Model S, but around my Roadster. I had a little bit of Tesla time there, but when I mentioned that Model S was the car being sold, not Roadsters, one of them said: "Yeah, we've all seen and sat in the car in the showroom, but this is cooler."

I know, no pictures so it didn't happen. But, it did.