Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range and the used S market questions..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking at a Tesla for a long time now but recent job change has me driving a lot more, so it could make good sense to look at a used S.

Driving details: NC/SC/Virgina mostly interstate driving. A few days a week I'll be going ~ 160mi roundtrip. SC's available but prefer not to stop.

Options all around $10k of each other:

1. 2016 75D: nicest with upgrades all around but will it be enough charged to 90% even in the cold to do 160mi stress free? My preference to have updated nosecone and AP2 but rather have a non-stop day. <30k mi and 4 year warranty (a must).

2. 2015 85D/90D: can get low miles <30k with 4 year warranty. Looks like this will do the 160mi no sweat at 90% charge in the cold. Older tech but ok with AP1 etc... but I worry this value will drop like a rock on any refresh.

3. Model3: Really not considering since a few kids and travel with a few sets of golf clubs.

Thoughts? Thanks!

D.

I have a 2016 75S and a 2018 LR RWD 3. You might want to reconsider the 3 in your price range. Less golf bags but no range concerns for your lengthy commute. No doubt I can get more stuff in my hatchback but range of my S (originally about 249, now 235, under optimal conditions) wouldn’t cut it for me if I had your commute.

Although it may not be a big deal for you, the ability of the 3 to use the super fast V3 Superchargers would be nice for your lengthy commutes. Of course that assumes V3 Superchargers come to a location on your route any year soon.

Last edited:
Mountains or flat areas?

Range is king. We just picked up a LR3 - also have a 2015 70D

Resale probably won't matter much since you are looking at 50k miles a year. You won't sell the car... And the warranty will be gone fast.

I would get the 3....

Best thing about a used MS can be the previous owner. The guy took amazing care of the car. Not a single rock chip, until after I bought it.

Did a x country, LA to Chicago and back, including over the Rockies in snow. No issues, SC all the way, averaged 60 MPH including stops.

For the OP, even with a 30% knockdown, and assuming 244 Rated Miles when purchased, I do not think you will have a problem with the MS 85 on a 160 mile commute.

Just to clarify, i get my rated range from Teslafi as part of the battery degradation report. Installed app in Nov, in colder temps. Since then, high of 270, low of 266. Before I installed app, calculated 270-272 on my trip.

I put on 8k miles in the last 6 months, mainly on the trip. 50% SC, but I now store the car at 56% SOC per Elon/JB recommendations and charge at 28A on the gen2 connector.

Storing at this low SOC hurts the range calcs slightly, but I can confirm the BMS will eventually recalibrate with a charge to 70% or less.

For the OP, only a few problems so far:

Missing trim clips, mainly Frunk liner. I got parts from SC, installed myself
Rear reverse light cover loose at ends. Will try to get this fixed under Warranty at 4 Yr service in June.
Steering bolt recall, missing charge port door gasket, fixed by Mobile Service under Warranty
Worn rear tires replaced (Car was a demo for 1500 miles, 3 months, I can imagine the launches it saw)
Awaiting Passenger air bag replacement

Also of interest:

308 Wh/Mi since purchase and dropping.
0-60 4.0 sec flat per App.

Thanks for all the replies. Anyone with a 75D comment on the routine ability to do 160mi RT in moderate cold at 90%? I've checked most the ev trip planners and it seems to be cutting it close. 85D/90D appear to be safe. Model 3 is still too small, but I think it would be around 25K miles per year so a low mileage 85/90 might make it under warranty 3+ years.