Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety - You got nothing on me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talking with an engineer who works at Tesla, there is some very small range available using just the 12v battery through the dc-dc converter. So good to know for those folks who push it right to the edge, you might get your car alive and moving to a charger again just by putting a new 12v battery in it with a full charge.

• Disagree
Reactions: SigNC and Big Earl
Really?? It would be a VERY small range, like 1/4-1/2 mile at best just doing the back of the napkin math.

Talking with an engineer who works at Tesla, there is some very small range available using just the 12v battery through the dc-dc converter. So good to know for those folks who push it right to the edge, you might get your car alive and moving to a charger again just by putting a new 12v battery in it with a full charge.

There's no way for the 12 volt battery to power the propulsion systems. The amp draw on the 12 volt battery would be through the roof.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
During the Q3 push he told me it was all hands on deck, and that they had pallets of 12v batteries and jumper boxes. Since there were so many dead cars needing a charge that was the solution to get the cars from where they were parked to the superchargers.

While I agree the 12v battery wasnt directly powering the propulsion system, it could have put a slight charge in the HV battery, or just put enough power to wake up the car from "Anti-brick" mode. I am not totally sure, but believe him as he had no reason to lie.

During the Q3 push he told me it was all hands on deck, and that they had pallets of 12v batteries and jumper boxes. Since there were so many dead cars needing a charge that was the solution to get the cars from where they were parked to the superchargers.

While I agree the 12v battery wasnt directly powering the propulsion system, it could have put a slight charge in the HV battery, or just put enough power to wake up the car from "Anti-brick" mode. I am not totally sure, but believe him as he had no reason to lie.

There would be no charge to the HV battery. The 12V does give power to the display and door locks, etc, so if you have a dead 12v battery you cannot get in the vehicle or put it into drive. If you HV battery is dead, then you aren't moving no matter what.

Got my car in May, and have taken a few long road trips. But I've never gotten the car below apx 75 miles remaining charge. I have a NEMA 14-50 in my garage and charge it to 88% (272 miles) most nights. If I got down to like 5 miles or below I think I would probably flip out. Never ran out of gas in my old vehicles (may have coasted to the pump once or twice, but) don't want to run out of juice now either.

No. If that was Charles, slap him silly. He's yanking your chain. Maybe you will get extra miles if you are going down hill from a volcano with 7 reindeer helping to pull it :eek::)

• Funny
Reactions: Shygar