Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a new MY owner (and having range anxiety myself) I have read this thread thoroughly and it's full of useful information (thanks!).

I have searched for information on what actually happens if I DO run out of charge so I thought that this might be a good place to ask since with anxiety it can be helpful to know happens in the worst case. Please redirect me if there's another thread with the information.

My questions are.. 1) Does the car drive beyond 0 miles? and, if so, how far have people gone? 2) Does the car warn you that it's about to stop? 3) Does the power just stop? or slowly fade away (ie. will I be able to safely get to the side of a highway?).

TIA
You don't want to find yourself in this situation.

Don't get in the habit of counting on the last 5% of SOC.
More to not letting your car ever get in this situation.

I was visiting friends who live north east of Orlando, who I can reach without supercharging, and was planning to charge from their dryer, which I have done before at their house. They live about a 30 minute drive from the closest SuC. I thought I had my Tesla cables with me, in fact I had my Lectron extension cord, and some adapter cables, but I did not have my Tesla Mobile Connector as it was actually in use charging our new M3, Night Rider, from a NEMA 6-50. I walked right by it in the garage as I was leaving in Red Ryder!

Well, you can imagine the sinking feeling of doom I felt when I opened the Frunk to get the TMC out. I had arrived with 8% SOC. I was lucky, got to the SuC with 3%. I did drive there very gently.

Normally I have no problem arriving at SuC with less than 10%, and do not have range anxiety. But you do not want to arrive at your DESTINATION with less than 10% unless you know you can charge there or there is a SuC within reasonable distance.

NEMA 6-50 has been replaced with a second Tesla Wall Connector for the M3 and the TMC is ALWAYS in the Frunk now. I had read other posts advising to install Tesla Wall Connector so you do not forget the TMC when going on a trip, and thought to myself: "I would never make such a stupid mistake, I would never forget it". Right!

This was a stupid newbie mistake and I was very lucky that it did not turn in to a big hassle.

When road tripping, I charge at each SuC so I will arrive at the next SuC with 15-20% buffer just to be on the safe side.

When arriving at destinations be sure you are aware of the closest SuC unless you can charge at the destination, and don't forget your TMC and any extension cords or adapters that you will need!

I was visiting friends who live north east of Orlando, who I can reach without supercharging, and was planning to charge from their dryer, which I have done before at their house. They live about a 30 minute drive from the closest SuC. I thought I had my Tesla cables with me, in fact I had my Lectron extension cord, and some adapter cables, but I did not have my Tesla Mobile Connector as it was actually in use charging our new M3, Night Rider, from a NEMA 6-50. I walked right by it in the garage as I was leaving in Red Ryder!

Well, you can imagine the sinking feeling of doom I felt when I opened the Frunk to get the TMC out. I had arrived with 8% SOC. I was lucky, got to the SuC with 3%. I did drive there very gently.

Normally I have no problem arriving at SuC with less than 10%, and do not have range anxiety. But you do not want to arrive at your DESTINATION with less than 10% unless you know you can charge there or there is a SuC within reasonable distance.

NEMA 6-50 has been replaced with a second Tesla Wall Connector for the M3 and the TMC is ALWAYS in the Frunk now. I had read other posts advising to install Tesla Wall Connector so you do not forget the TMC when going on a trip, and thought to myself: "I would never make such a stupid mistake, I would never forget it". Right!

This was a stupid newbie mistake and I was very lucky that it did not turn in to a big hassle.

When road tripping, I charge at each SuC so I will arrive at the next SuC with 15-20% buffer just to be on the safe side.

When arriving at destinations be sure you are aware of the closest SuC unless you can charge at the destination, and don't forget your TMC and any extension cords or adapters that you will need!
It's worth noting that even if a Supercharger isn't close by, regular AC charging may be available within range. Always be aware of options.

It's worth noting that even if a Supercharger isn't close by, regular AC charging may be available within range. Always be aware of options.
This. Though I've never had to use them I keep various adapters, the mobile connector, and a 50' NEMA 14-50 extension cord in my frunk at all times along with blankets. It's nice to have the frunk area to stow emergency type items.

Great update.

Wondering if you opened up PlugShare or similar to see if there was close by L2 charging that you could have used in a pinch or not… some areas of the country are “charging deserts with SC oases” though.

Reactions: DrGriz
Great update.

Wondering if you opened up PlugShare or similar to see if there was close by L2 charging that you could have used in a pinch or not… some areas of the country are “charging deserts with SC oases” though.
No, did not do that. I did not want to take the time to L2 charge as I was visiting my friends there for just one evening, leaving for a road trip to the north the next morning. I was pretty confident I could reach the SuC, not really worried. The car predicted I would arrive with 3% and I did.

Still a hassle, the Mobile Connector now lives in the Frunk!

Reactions: boulder.dude