TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Range between 20% and 80%

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by M109Rider, Apr 20, 2018.

1. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

Hello,
    I tried searching, but couldn’t find the answer.

Question: How many KM’s / Miles, will the ( Model 3 long range two wheel drive) typically get, between a 20% to 80% charge.

I’ve seen videos of it getting 500km’s from a full charge to empty.

I’m curious how what range it typically gets sticking between 20% and 80% though.

Thanks

2. Insight75

Insight75 Member

60% of the total right? Or am I missing some part of your question?

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  3. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Not sure of your question .... If 100% is 310 miles, then every 10% is 31 miles....Range at 20% would be 62 miles and range at 80% would be 248 miles?

• Informative x 1
  4. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Active Member

310*0.6=186

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

Thanks for the replies.

I should have stated that I could do the math to get a range, assuming the rate of consumption was constant from 0% to 100%.

I asked, because I wasn’t sure if the rate of consumption changed based on the percentage the battery was at.
    I know the car charges slower as it reaches 100%, and I’ve seen some videos where the battery percentage falls faster at the end of the charge.
    So I figured if anyone regularly ran between 20% and 80% the range may be different from what the math would dictate.

I’m not sure though, since I don’t have a model 3 yet to test for myself.

Thanks

6. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Active Member

Charge rate is very different from storage capacity. As the battery charges it can accept less current, but the last 10% of charge is the same number of watt-hours as all other blocks of 10% SOC.

Therefore capacity of a given SOC range is just the percentage of total capacity.

7. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

Thanks again.

186 miles / 300 KM’s it is then.
    That’s perfect for my daily usage.

Just holding out for the AWD model now ...
    :)

8. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I am quite impressed with the Model 3 range....
    Here's a chart of various SOC vs ending range after my daily commute. Depending on your geography/weather and driving style you can evaluate different max SOC settings. Since I live in Southern California even with a 110 mile (!) commute and aggressive driving style, I am totally comfortable choosing to max charge to only 70% nominally!

Screenshot_20180420-104505.jpg