Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range during -16 weather

Jul 5, 2018
The North
Just thought I'd share my experience today driving (and parking) in -16 weather. I started the morning with a full charge of 268 miles and then commuted 28 miles to work. I parked in a ramp for 8 hours and then drove back home. When i got home i was down to 143 miles. So roughly 60 miles driven and a range loss of 125 miles. I should note the car was warmed before driving both times but I had regen off and chill mode on. Just thought I'd share! Tomorrow it's supposed to get to -30+. I'll report back my experience!

Dre78

Dec 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I suspect a lot of energy is used to heat the cabin.
I agree. Please drive with your heater off and report back the findings. ;)

Just kidding. I went ahead and did non-scientific research for you. Drove this morning around the city to drop kids off at school/daycare. Not apocalypse weather yet; that's tomorrow as you stated... or I guess later today (I really need to sleep). 10F/-12C. Blasting the heater to keep occupants warm meant an efficiency of 25% (2.15 Miles Driven; 8.74 Rated Miles Used; 896 Wh/Mile). On the way to pick them up I left the heater off to get 542 Wh/Mile. So, time to invest in thicker jackets and blankets for the kids!! :D

Good luck tomorrow! The kids and I are staying home. mostly because school/daycare are closed. But I did think about heading out for more "research".

Reactions: TankoftheNorth

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC