Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range during -16 weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I'd share my experience today driving (and parking) in -16 weather. I started the morning with a full charge of 268 miles and then commuted 28 miles to work. I parked in a ramp for 8 hours and then drove back home. When i got home i was down to 143 miles. So roughly 60 miles driven and a range loss of 125 miles. I should note the car was warmed before driving both times but I had regen off and chill mode on. Just thought I'd share! Tomorrow it's supposed to get to -30+. I'll report back my experience!

I suspect a lot of energy is used to heat the cabin.
I agree. Please drive with your heater off and report back the findings. ;)

Just kidding. I went ahead and did non-scientific research for you. Drove this morning around the city to drop kids off at school/daycare. Not apocalypse weather yet; that's tomorrow as you stated... or I guess later today (I really need to sleep). 10F/-12C. Blasting the heater to keep occupants warm meant an efficiency of 25% (2.15 Miles Driven; 8.74 Rated Miles Used; 896 Wh/Mile). On the way to pick them up I left the heater off to get 542 Wh/Mile. So, time to invest in thicker jackets and blankets for the kids!! :D

Good luck tomorrow! The kids and I are staying home. mostly because school/daycare are closed. But I did think about heading out for more "research".

Reactions: TankoftheNorth