Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Efficiency Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my Y for almost a month now. LWD on 20" induction wheels. Got 600 miles on it. A couple days ago I downloaded the Tezlab and Stats app. LOVE all the data it provides.

Here's my stupid questions that I'm hoping some can help answer.

My "efficiency" rating is in the 65%-70%. From my understanding, it's basically the miles decrease in the odometer divide by rated miles. So I drove 6 actual miles, but my rated miles was 10 miles, so my efficiency is 60%. Is that accurate? I read somewhere that it's some formula like kwh x miles x weight of car or something like that? I looked on my dashboard in the energy section and it showed a 270kw line, so I assume that's the 100% efficiency level?

Anyways, I'm a bit confused on 1. how some people can get over 100% efficiency (I've seen some that gets 120% ) and 2. why my efficiency is so low and how I can improve it. Yes, I know there's a lot of factors involved, but I keep my AC at 72 degrees on auto, I don't floor it acceleration pedal, my regen brake is set to "standard", and I drive mostly local streets.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but any insights from the wizards out there would be helpful! Thanks!!

Try longer trips. Short trips aren't efficient in any vehicle.

A ridiculous example--lets say your car is parked in your drive way.
A) Turn on your car.
B) Drive 5 feet.
C) Turn off your car.
D) Turn on your car.
E) Drive back 5 feet to it's original position.
F) Turn off your car.

Repeat A to F hundreds of times and you'll have traveled very little distance and expended a lot of fuel (gas, electrons) which will give you really awful efficiency.

Your Y is an amazing car so I hope you try to enjoy it and don't worry about numbers some app is giving you.

So I've had my Y for almost a month now. LWD on 20" induction wheels. Got 600 miles on it. A couple days ago I downloaded the Tezlab and Stats app. LOVE all the data it provides.

My "efficiency" rating is in the 65%-70%. From my understanding, it's basically the miles decrease in the odometer divide by rated miles. So I drove 6 actual miles, but my rated miles was 10 miles, so my efficiency is 60%. Is that accurate? I read somewhere that it's some formula like kwh x miles x weight of car or something like that? I looked on my dashboard in the energy section and it showed a 270kw line, so I assume that's the 100% efficiency level?

Anyways, I'm a bit confused on 1. how some people can get over 100% efficiency (I've seen some that gets 120% ) and 2. why my efficiency is so low and how I can improve it. Yes, I know there's a lot of factors involved, but I keep my AC at 72 degrees on auto, I don't floor it acceleration pedal, my regen brake is set to "standard", and I drive mostly local streets.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but any insights from the wizards out there would be helpful! Thanks!!

I don't think 270kw line is "100%" efficiency line. It's the line that gets you to 315 mile range...or approximately.

I don't think 270kw line is "100%" efficiency line. It's the line that gets you to 315 mile range...or approximately.

Maybe I'm calculating it wrong, but the MY has a 75kw battery, so if I do 75000 / 270, i get 278 miles. To achieve 315 miles, your efficiency has to be around 240wh/mile. Hence why I'm confused why Tesla uses the 270 figure.