Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range increased during idle (not plugged in)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw something weird just now. I arrived back home with 75% battery when I parked. A short time later, it jumped up to 78%. I exported all my idles from Tessie and didn’t find any other times it happened.

Anyone else seen this before or any ideas?

Attachments

• 3E05B4FE-3031-4227-BBF9-7EF181C9B113.png
    3E05B4FE-3031-4227-BBF9-7EF181C9B113.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 150
It is possible that your Tesla's battery may have gained a few percentage points due to a phenomenon known as "phantom drain." Phantom drain refers to a small amount of power that is slowly drawn from the battery even when the car is not in use. This can be caused by various systems in the car that are always on, such as the radio, clock, or alarm system. Phantom drain is typically very small, and most people do not notice it. However, if you have been parked for an extended period of time, it is possible that the phantom drain could cause your battery to lose a few percentage points.

It is also possible that the increase in battery charge that you observed was simply a measurement error. The battery level display on your Tesla is an estimate based on various factors such as battery temperature and state of charge. It is not an entirely accurate measurement, and it is possible that the display could show a slightly different reading at different times.

Overall, a small increase or decrease in battery level is normal, and it is not cause for concern. If you are concerned about your Tesla battery performance, you can check the "Energy" tab in the Tesla app, which provides detailed information about your car's energy usage and charging history.

Cheers,
Joseph
From Precision Auto Styling

Upvote 0
Saw something weird just now. I arrived back home with 75% battery when I parked. A short time later, it jumped up to 78%. I exported all my idles from Tessie and didn’t find any other times it happened.

Anyone else seen this before or any ideas?

It's not a big deal. It happens a lot with me. After a drive, the car often adjusts the state of charge up or down a few percent. I often see a 3% increase, but sometimes it will decrease 2%.

This occurs frequently after a charge session. I'll charge to 60% and the BMS will recalculate to 57% not long afterward.

It's all an estimate. Let's just say the car often "re-estimates".

Upvote 0
t
It's not a big deal. It happens a lot with me. After a drive, the car often adjusts the state of charge up or down a few percent. I often see a 3% increase, but sometimes it will decrease 2%.

This occurs frequently after a charge session. I'll charge to 60% and the BMS will recalculate to 57% not long afterward.

It's all an estimate. Let's just say the car often "re-estimates".
That is so so true. I have been noticing that since I picked up on Thursday. I am trying to gauge how much loss charging on a 110volt, level 2 and fast charging is so fast!

Upvote 0