Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range indicators?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just really got to start using my new MS, and was wondering which one of the range indicators is more likely to be accurate. ie range on small display behind steering wheel shows 118 miles however range on sat nav shows 91 miles to my destination, arriving with just 2% charge remaining.
The question is have I really got 118 miles left or 91+2%, say 95 miles? Which is most probably right? Will I get to my destination?!!

95 is most likely more accurate based on 'average' travel speeds on your route
118 is the 'rated' miles which correlates to something like 295 Whr/mile
depending on speed/temperature/wind,. It is very possible to match the rated range or do better...I typically do not in the area where I live...hilly ~55-65F year round & I typically drive a bit too fast
I recommend keeping ~6% or so predicted at destination that way you can speed up a tad near the end when you are sure you have enough range or if there is an unforseen detour or some crazy wind you will be ok. You can always slow down if you wont make it but driving too slow may be unsafe

Last edited:
Reactions: Tevvy