Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BerTX have you made that drive yet and if so can you give a report on the difficulty? My wife and I are moving to Austin mid June and that's the one stretch that I'm most concerned about. Hard to find any users reporting experience doing that drive. Of course I'll be going the opposite direction, coming from El Paso, but any info you can give would be a big help.
No, I chickened out and went a different route. The trip from Texas to Washington state has several "safe" routes, and I took one of those.

If I were were to do the trip, I'd decide in Ozona after checking the weather. If there was not a headwind, I'd plan to drive 55-60 and go directly to Van Horn . There is not much traffic on that road. I would not recommend drafting a truck, speaking as someone waiting to have their windshield replaced...

If the range looked very bad in Fort Stockton, I'd likely stop there at the RV park for a bit.

If there was a headwind, I'd rout via Midland. And still drive slowly.

If you are travelling west-east, then not nearly as much worry. It is downhill, and the prevailing wind is from the west. Just keep an eye on your range and slow down if needed. Remember that your speed makes a fairly insignificant difference in drive time over a single leg of your journey.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515