Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range of Model X Plaid refresh 2022+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally speaking the EPA range for a tesla is very reasonable for the average person under one, albeit HUGE, catch. A) Temperature is such that AC nor Heating needs to run. B) If they do need to run; you don’t stop but rather continue driving non-stop at reasonable speeds with a large portion below 55/60mph. The biggest drain for most folks is stopping and parking. Car then sits and cools/heats in the environment loosing all the energy put in to adjust the climate. Repeat for each leg of your trip. If you eliminate that you quickly see the rated range become possible If not beatable.
it is already well know that out of all the electric cars out there tesla has the most over estimated range. There are many poeple and you tubers that have done 70mph highway range tesla on all electric cars and most if not all other cars come close or exceed there advertise range with the exception of tesla. Tesla's still have great industry leading range but the advertised range should be about 5-10% less.

it is already well know that out of all the electric cars out there tesla has the most over estimated range. There are many poeple and you tubers that have done 70mph highway range tesla on all electric cars and most if not all other cars come close or exceed there advertise range with the exception of tesla. Tesla's still have great industry leading range but the advertised range should be about 5-10% less.
That has not been my experience. The Estimated range (a number based on my actual driving and energy consumption) almost always exceeds the Rated range and even the Ideal range. Now as it get colder, that will not hold true. But so far in the 15 months I've had this vehicle, I've actually been able to exceed the EPA range under good conditions. It really has been quite impressive. My 2015 S and 2018 X were nowhere near as good as my 2022. Cold weather will kill it though.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
That has not been my experience. The Estimated range (a number based on my actual driving and energy consumption) almost always exceeds the Rated range and even the Ideal range. Now as it get colder, that will not hold true. But so far in the 15 months I've had this vehicle, I've actually been able to exceed the EPA range under good conditions. It really has been quite impressive. My 2015 S and 2018 X were nowhere near as good as my 2022. Cold weather will kill it though.
So, then what is the difference maker between the ‘18 and ‘22 X?

So, then what is the difference maker between the ‘18 and ‘22 X?
Biggest difference is the 2022 permanent magnet motors are much more efficient, and far more powerful (670 HP). They can regeneratively brake all the way down to zero. Other systems such as the heat pump, consume much smaller amounts of energy for heating. The curb weight of the 2018 is 5421, while my 2022 (5 passenger) is only 5185. Bottom line is they made the car lighter, motors more powerful, and other subsystems, like heating, much better and more efficient. Topped it off with batteries that charge crazy fast.

Is the EPA test not uniform for all cars?

How is it that one car brand can be consistently under EPA while another brand is easy to go over EPA range, given the same driver and same conditions?
I believe there are a couple of different test procedures that can be used for the EPA rating in the US.

Is the EPA test not uniform for all cars?

How is it that one car brand can be consistently under EPA while another brand is easy to go over EPA range, given the same driver and same conditions?
The catch is that the EPA rating is the maximum they can list; but they can voluntarily down rate to less. Ford for one I know did that to be more ”honest”? The truth is the EPA’s testing is not ideal for EV’s and needs to be changed to a 4 number system with expected wh/mile or mile/kWh for city/highway/highway_cold_highway_hot.

Hello folks,

I am on the fence of buying a Model X LR versus Model x Plaid.

What type of range are you seeing on Model X Plaid refresh (2022+)?

Thank you!
My Model X Plaid, 20in rims can make it over 275 mi (from Reno to Santa Cruz) and still have 15-20% remaining. The other way, from Santa Cruz to Reno I can make it without stopping with about 5% remaining. And, I do speed 80+mph (sometimes 100+ :)). The route is US HWY 88. I would think I could make it easily to 300+mi if I kept the speed down to posted. My car has about 17,500mi now.

250 is actually very easy to obtain, even running 80 mph. If I drive 250 miles, I will have 15-20% remaining. Poor weather can reduce that some, but still 250 should not be a problem.

Hello DCGOO. We live in a province with slower speed limits (mountains etc). We rarely exceed 110 kph and a lot of the time are around that 100 kmh zone. (So 60 to 70 mph or slower). Would you care to speculate what kind of range you would expect with those conditions?

Thanks in advance.

Hello DCGOO. We live in a province with slower speed limits (mountains etc). We rarely exceed 110 kph and a lot of the time are around that 100 kmh zone. (So 60 to 70 mph or slower). Would you care to speculate what kind of range you would expect with those conditions?
Thanks in advance.
At 100 to 110 kmh, I would expect about the same. Perhaps slightly better. But winter, results are less predictable.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers