Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range of Model X Plaid refresh 2022+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a new 2023 MX LR 7 seater about 2 months ago. I went with the LR because of the seating. I previously had a 2019 MX with the 6 seat configuration. It was okay but when I needed the extra storage space the middle seats not able to fold flat was an issue. Also the lack of something between the 2nd row pedestal seats make them uncomfortable for the passengers.

Good luck on your purchase.

Hello folks,
I am on the fence of buying a Model X LR versus Model x Plaid.
What type of range are you seeing on Model X Plaid refresh (2022+)?
Thank you!
I do not have a plaid. The long range is rated for 348, while the Plaid is rated for 333, with 20 inch wheels. That means roughly a 4% reduction for being a Plaid. If you add in the 22-inch wheels, that represents another 4%.

I thought briefly about getting a Plaid, but I did not like the idea of being forced into the six seat interior. Plus the interior only comes finished with Carbon Fiber, which I despise. Your 250 practical target is probably optimistic. That is roughly what I get on my LR.

Reactions: boney12
Reading through all this, then, in what world and driving setup can one achieve the 348 miles of range advertised by Tesla for a new non-plaid X?
I should be able to exceed 348 in moderate temps with no wind. The problem is, that range assumes you take it down to completely dead. This is only possible in a lab type setting where you can run it until it actually dies, then charge it. But I do often see "Estimated" range exceed "rated range," even exceeding "ideal" range. With LRR tires and a good alignment it is easily obtainable. But not at 80 mph on a windy day.

I should be able to exceed 348 in moderate temps with no wind. The problem is, that range assumes you take it down to completely dead. This is only possible in a lab type setting where you can run it until it actually dies, then charge it. But I do often see "Estimated" range exceed "rated range," even exceeding "ideal" range. With LRR tires and a good alignment it is easily obtainable. But not at 80 mph on a windy day.
Okay, maybe not drive it to empty.

But, starting from full charge, could you drive say 250 miles and will the meter say your remaining range is 98 miles? Or, how close to it in everyday normal driving?

I doubt the EPA test is done in a lab. I’m sure they’re also driving the car on regular roads, etc. So, how are they (and Tesla) saying the range is 348 miles?

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Okay, maybe not drive it to empty.

But, starting from full charge, could you drive say 250 miles and will the meter say your remaining range is 98 miles? Or, how close to it in everyday normal driving?
I don't know. My fuel gauge displays battery SoC in %. Miles in that field made no sense to me, mainly because it is a made up number. If I drive 250 miles, I would expect it to show around 20% remaining, unless conditions were less than ideal.
I doubt the EPA test is done in a lab. I’m sure they’re also driving the car on regular roads, etc. So, how are they (and Tesla) saying the range is 348 miles?
Oh, I am sure mileage is tested in a lab, under carefully controlled conditions, dictated by EPA requirements. Likely why folks think the number is optimistic. In reality, at least for my car, it is very reasonable.

You can monitor energy consumption in the trip odometer (I really miss the energy graph the legacy models had). Typically around town driving I get 240-260 Wh/mile (2022 refresh). Highway at 80 mph, usually 320 Wh/mile, but any wind can greatly affect the highway number.

While the 348 miles range is about what I normally get, with various driving around home, it drops off if I am doing 80 mph on the freeway.
You need to be doing a combination of below 60 mph driving and considerable use of regeneration around town. Regeneration is the reason that EVs get such good mileage. (same with hybrids). Stop and go is where the regeneration really pays off. Highway cruising...not so much.
An even better benefit than the range, is the much faster charging speeds than in previous years. Hooking up to a 250 amp Supercharge, the electrons flow like crazy. In just 15 minutes I get enough charge to continue my trip.
Everyone want the most range they can get, but for me, fast on road charging is a much better benefit than more range.
Side benefit is that taking short breaks along the trip allows you to arrive much fresher. Not so worn out.

Reactions: DCGOO
Reading through all this, then, in what world and driving setup can one achieve the 348 miles of range advertised by Tesla for a new non-plaid X?
windows up no climate control, crusing at 60mph and under with some stop and go traffic. No elevation change. Out side temp at 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit. No other passengers or any luggage. going from 100% state of charge to about 10+ miles pass 0%. Once you hit 0% you have about 3 kwh of battery left. If you do all this you can hit the eps rated millage.

i have a plaid with the 20 inch wheel rated at 333miles range and for me my real world driving range is about 220-250 miles on full charge. my definition of real world is starting a road trip at 100% state of charge cruzing with a loaded car at 80+mph with climate control on and stooping to charge at around 5%. Typically i get 360ish wh per miles on road trips. but if you baby it and do all the things i stated you can average under 300wh per mile.

realistically this car has plenty of range for any road trips. super chargers are everywhere at when you stop to a 250kw supercharge with under 10% charge it really charged faster than my family can take a rest room break.

Last edited:
Reactions: BayAreaCelt
Generally speaking the EPA range for a tesla is very reasonable for the average person under one, albeit HUGE, catch. A) Temperature is such that AC nor Heating needs to run. B) If they do need to run; you don’t stop but rather continue driving non-stop at reasonable speeds with a large portion below 55/60mph. The biggest drain for most folks is stopping and parking. Car then sits and cools/heats in the environment loosing all the energy put in to adjust the climate. Repeat for each leg of your trip. If you eliminate that you quickly see the rated range become possible If not beatable.