Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on Highway for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my X, the range loss really depends on the circumstances. The worst case is a series of short trips in subzero weather with long waiting gaps with no charging in between - having to repeatedly warm the cabin and pack really kills efficiency for the first twenty or thirty miles of each trip/segment, and can consume two or three times the normal energy.

Conversely, a long winter drive starting with the pack and cabin warm has very little impact - in my experience at freeway speed in freezing weather it's less than 10% more energy.

For most people, it'll be somewhere in between but presumably more towards the freeway case if they are using enough of the battery for the total range available to matter.

Good to know that for a supposed freeway (little traffic) driving of 60-70 miles one way, the drop isn't going to be as high as 40% as long as the following measures are performed:
  • pre-heating while plugged in
  • turn heated seats up before heating cabin with HVAC
  • Range something turned ON (less regen)
  • driving around 70 MPH or less
  • properly or slightly overinflated tires

Just really missing the heated steering wheel found in the S and X but Tesla might offer it in the future along with TACC as a standalone.

Cool! My experience with ICE cruise control in hills is that they get off... by a lot!

ICE cruise control is usually bang on the speed you set. The only exeption to this are automatic cars. Because the engine isnt directly connected to the wheels there is bound to be some lag in adjusting the engine speed vs the speed of the vehicle. This is much less pronaunced at high speeds with a locked toruqe converter

ICE cruise control is usually bang on the speed you set. The only exeption to this are automatic cars. Because the engine isnt directly connected to the wheels there is bound to be some lag in adjusting the engine speed vs the speed of the vehicle. This is much less pronaunced at high speeds with a locked toruqe converter
In my experience, ICE cruise control is only stable when driving on a level road. Any hills, and it will deviate a bit, partly due to lag, and I believe partly due to an intentional numbing-down of the system to gain a bit of fuel economy. Cruise accuracy is markedly worse when in "Eco" mode, getting behind or in excess of the set speed by 5 or 6 mph when initiating a climb, or cresting a hill.

My Tesla, on the other hand, is spot on stable, regardless of terrain.

Why is nobody testing this and reporting to us? If I had my Model 3 today I'd take vacation from work and do a few thousand miles of testing.
I think most people would but as it is right now 99% of the cars are in employee hands not regular owners.
It won't be long at all before the blogs start coming out. It happened as soon as the Model S got into regular customers hands.

Reactions: JeffnReno