Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need someone to explain this to me like a child. Over Memorial Day we went from MA to Maine to open our lake home. When going home I had over 280 miles of range avail. for a 170ish mile return trip, and yet I was told to stop some 40 miles from home to charge, is it really accounting for over 110 miles using A/C and going 65mph on average?

Wind, rain, temperature, elevation change are the biggies. Also, the range estimator is fairly pessimistic. Did you record your range before/after charging to see if you could have made it without charging?

A/C doesn't hurt that much - especially up there. That isn't A/C....
65 mph on average gives really close to rated range.
Not to be snarky (ok maybe a little) but 600+ posts and you don't understand your car's range?
Year of car matters. Tires matter a LOT! And elevation (pretty flat up there - and Boston certainly low), wind speed - sure.
Either way, the supercharger recommended algorithm is absurdly pessimistic.

A/C doesn't hurt that much - especially up there. That isn't A/C....
65 mph on average gives really close to rated range.
Not to be snarky (ok maybe a little) but 600+ posts and you don't understand your car's range?
Year of car matters. Tires matter a LOT! And elevation (pretty flat up there - and Boston certainly low), wind speed - sure.
Either way, the supercharger recommended algorithm is absurdly pessimistic.
I only have about 20 posts since buying it in Nov. and this was the first trip I've taken out of state with it. Up until then it was the first time I had ever even had under 100 miles of range left.

I don't bother letting the car tell me when I need to charge. I found it didn't do that great of a job. I preplan with ABRP and let it figure out where I need to stop and for how long. Then I just navigate to those chargers and leave when the in car navigation says I'll arrive with about 10-15%.

What tires and wheels are you running?

The computer doesn't know if you have charging available at your destination. Perhaps it was reserving enough energy to get you to the closest Supercharger after you reach your destination.
Maybe in your experiences.
My car on a 200 mile trip tells me to charge in the first 25 miles for 15 minutes and leaves me at my destination with 10% assuming I have a charger there. Mostly I never have a place to charge.
I've disabled plan routing, i can do a better job of chosing where I stop, and showing up with 10-20% to a supercharger instead of showing up with 80%+
I've mostly solved my destination charging issue by just selecting the nearest supercharger to my destination, so I don't show up dead.
That's some quantum *sugar*, showing up dead?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Maybe in your experiences.
My car on a 200 mile trip tells me to charge in the first 25 miles for 15 minutes and leaves me at my destination with 10% assuming I have a charger there. Mostly I never have a place to charge.
I've disabled plan routing, i can do a better job of chosing where I stop, and showing up with 10-20% to a supercharger instead of showing up with 80%+
I've mostly solved my destination charging issue by just selecting the nearest supercharger to my destination, so I don't show up dead.
That's some quantum *sugar*, showing up dead?
I have several destinations I route to without any Supercharger less than 1 hour away, so I do not follow either when the car suggests I stop on a trip. Just like an ICE car, I usually charge somewhere on my route with no less than 50 miles range left, and fill up to give me whatever range I need remaining after arriving at the "dry" destination.

I need someone to explain this to me like a child. Over Memorial Day we went from MA to Maine to open our lake home. When going home I had over 280 miles of range avail. for a 170ish mile return trip, and yet I was told to stop some 40 miles from home to charge, is it really accounting for over 110 miles using A/C and going 65mph on average?
First thing, NEVER trust the number on the front page.

Look at the energy graph, that will give you relatively good estimates.

Maine seems to still be cool, so you can take 10%-20% off for the cooler weather. Rain and wind can also reduce your range.
At 65 mph, you should be somewhere around the EPA average
So that takes you from about 250 miles minus 170 to about 80 miles.

So, yes it seems unusual that you got prompted to charge. How many miles was the car showing when it asked? What was the battery percentage indicated for your destination?

This is where the energy page would have come in extremely informative, because it now lists all the individual energy users and how much each was using and recommendations for increasing range.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I don't bother letting the car tell me when I need to charge. I found it didn't do that great of a job. I preplan with ABRP and let it figure out where I need to stop and for how long. Then I just navigate to those chargers and leave when the in car navigation says I'll arrive with about 10-15%.

What tires and wheels are you running?
Stock 19s, not sure what tire brand they came with tbh.

The computer doesn't know if you have charging available at your destination. Perhaps it was reserving enough energy to get you to the closest Supercharger after you reach your destination.
Tbh I bought a home Tesla charger but haven't had it installed by an electrician yet as I've been working remote pretty much, so using my mobile charger to a 110v which has been fine, and if need be using a SC near my house otherwise. If you install the home charger does the app knows this and take it into consideration when routing to "Home"?

Tbh I bought a home Tesla charger but haven't had it installed by an electrician yet as I've been working remote pretty much, so using my mobile charger to a 110v which has been fine, and if need be using a SC near my house otherwise. If you install the home charger does the app knows this and take it into consideration when routing to "Home"?
It doesn't (AFAIK). It just was calculating that you weren't going to make it to your destination with enough buffer.

BUT, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!

NEVER NEVER NEVER follow a navigation system blindly.

You may live to regret it.

It doesn't (AFAIK). It just was calculating that you weren't going to make it to your destination with enough buffer.

BUT, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!

NEVER NEVER NEVER follow a navigation system blindly.

You may live to regret it.
😁