Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raptor Engine - General Development Discussion and News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raptor (rocket engine family) - Wikipedia

In January 2016, the US Air Force awarded a US$33.6 million development contract to SpaceX to develop a prototype version of its methane-fueled reusable Raptor engine for use on the upper stage of the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launch vehicles, which required double-matching funding by SpaceX of at least US$67.3 million. Work under the contract is expected to be completed in 2018, with engine performance testing to be done at NASA's John C. Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.

SpaceX aims to follow a banner year with an even faster 2018 launch cadence - SpaceNews.com

Block 5 engines will reach 190,000 pound-force (lbf) of thrust at sea level, up from the current Merlin 1D’s 176,000 lbf at sea level. A Block 5 engine that experienced a test mishap Nov. 4 didn’t explode, she said, but did result in a fire. She said SpaceX is still working on the investigation.

SpaceX has hinted at the possibility of Raptor engines debuting on the Falcon 9, but Shotwell said that is now less likely as the company freezes the Falcon 9 design.
--------

Wikipedia tells Raptor test engine had 1 MN thrust. Slightly more than Merlin 5. I don't think this is a coincidence.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Not much real news has come out about Raptor. We know they either have or about to have the official production sized Raptor at McGregor for testing. According to everything we know, SpaceX has tested the hell out of the smaller sized testing version. I expect those tests determined the design needed for the production version. We got our first news on Raptor in a while from an Elon tweet. So here is an entire article built around that tweet:
SpaceX: Elon Musk Reveals How Mars-Bound Raptor Engine Tests are Going | Inverse

Tweet:
Twitter

Elon just loves throwing wrenches in expectations lately.
48426545_2343038489252629_1475395508980678656_n.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Reactions: e-FTW
Newest Raptor engine news. First official Raptor engine ready for testing.
SpaceX CEO Elon Musk reveals photos of Starship's first completed Raptor engine
Elon: Initially making one 200 metric ton thrust engine common across ship & booster to reach the moon as fast as possible. Next versions will split to vacuum-optimized (380+ sec Isp) & sea-level thrust optimized (~250 ton).

Does anyone know what all needs to be changed besides the bell, to accommodate the different bell size?
My thought on seeing Elon's tweet was how much add'l engineering time and effort would it take to split to the two variants now?
If they did the sea level version now for hopper, they'd have a year or more before needing the vacuum optimized engine.

Not until I learn how Starship gets away from SuperHeavy if it RUDs at MaxQ. And see it tested when SpaceX is sure enough of that hardware to risk a Starship in a live test!
I’m sure SpaceX has a plan for that eventuality with Starship. But I don’t expect them to sacrifice a Super Heavy booster to test it. Too costly. Unless they can find an organization, like the US government, to pay for that test.

As I understand it, NASA is paying for SpaceX to test the scenario you describe, it will be the Crew Dragon in-flight abort mission which is currently NET May 2019.

Reactions: Bobfitz1