Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rated mileage over time (current mileage vs rated range vs actual wh/mile)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect my battery is degraded too much over time. I bought my AWD in 9/2018. After driving for 8200 miles, the rated range is 260miles @ 90%. over the life of car, the screen shows it consumed 237 wh/mile (I used my trip A info on screen, which i never reset). With that, does it mean my battery can hold 68.5kwh @ 100%? I thought the battery pack should hold 75kwh. that would mean 9% loss.

When bringing this up at a service center, they said my battery was not defected. It's just that my driving consumed more than rated. I tried to explain, but he just repeated what he already said. Does anyone have similar experience?

Anyway, here are my numbers:

Model: 3 LR AWD
Mileage: 8250
Wh/mile: 237
Rated Range @ 90%: 260

With that, does it mean my battery can hold 68.5kwh @ 100%?

No.

Rated Range @ 90%: 260

So this extrapolates to 289 rated miles at 100%. Which means you have a minimum 66.5kWh (230Wh/rmi * 289rmi) available at a full charge (as measured by the meter in the car anyway), but note - this is just a number dependent on the in-car meter calibration, and may not reflect actual energy available. (With this metric a brand new battery would have 71.3kWh available - but again, that is just a number derived from the in-car meter and not a reflection of actual energy available - you’d have to use an accurate calibrated meter to determine the “real” energy available.)

That’s low, but it’s likely due to software changes at Tesla (no guarantees though). Your build I think is almost in the window of cars that had incorrectly connected battery connection wires though (don’t remember exact issue). You could look up that notice from Tesla and have them double check whether your VIN was affected.

Overall there are a lot of threads on this, and I would try some of the strategies there, and also not worry about this unless it continues to degrade.

Rather than talking to someone, I would contact Tesla through the website and have them diagnose your battery remotely if you are really concerned - but mostly I would not worry about it yet.