Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle from somewhere in front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a rattle while driving at around 65mph. It sounds much like a rattlesnake - but it is constant and around 5 rattles a second :) I thought it might be the Bilstein's but it only appears at 65mph or above and never a lower speeds.
This seems really difficult to diagnose so I thought I would ask: has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks.

It sounds like something is vibrating from the airflow at 65 MPH. Look around the fans and A/C condenser for something loose. There are a lot of plastic shrouds and covers under the hood that can crack. Look at the front grill and the shrouds behind it as well. Everything is attached with plastic retainers that get brittle with age. If you see an empty hole, the retainer is probably missing.

I had a rattle inside my car. The right defroster vent was too close to the firewall and was rattling only when I was on a bumpy road. They had to take the dash off and put some foam between the defroster and the firewall to make it go away. I occasionally still hear a rattle but it is 99% better than before.

I had an interesting rattle about 6 months ago from the front of the car. There was a metal bracket that supports the front-bottom skid plate and also the curved front lower plastic piece that's under the grille. It'd finally cracked and broken after many years of bottoming out. It wasn't immediately obvious there was a problem, but I found that I could push up on the skid plate in the center and it had about an inch or so of slop. At highway speeds, it would start to "flutter" and make a distinctive sound at a few Hz ... but it was only really audible if I was driving next to a barrier or something that echoed the sound back at me. You can see the part about a foot back from the tow-point through the front grille. If that's the problem, it is an easy ~30 minute do-it-yourself fix and the bracket (a simple piece of bent aluminum) was ~$40 from Tesla.
//dan.

But, at least the Roadster has a killer stereo, so you can drown out all of those rattles, squeaks, and creaks...

...oh, wait...
Oh, the stereo was the first thing I replaced when I bought my Roadster. I think that process (which included swapping out dash parts for the double din) introduced some new rattles, but at least now the stereo can definitely overpower the rattles.