Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle/Squeak - Near Side rear door window sealant - Suggestions how to sort it out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
So finally managed to identify what looks like the final rattle in the car (it has been plagued with these since ~10k miles)

Rear door rubber seal produces the rattle when driving on uneven surfaces. I have identified this after installing self-adhesive felt on all the rear seat touching surfaces and noticed that the annoying sound persists unless I roll down the window (a bit). This is due to body/door shifting while on uneven surfaces...

The same sound starts to re-appear on the driver's door as well, but this one somehow is sorted by rubber treatment products..

I have tried 2:
- Wurth's Rubber Fit
- Gummi Pfelge Stift

Applied both from the outside (where it touches window) and in-between all bends (where rubber would touch another side of the rubber). If I get ANY improvement - it is for very short time. and then it is back again.

Any suggestion how to sort it out? I am losing all my nerves on this one...

200w.gif

Any suggestions? Please...?

Last edited:
Put on some music? Life seems too short to lose your 💩over rattles when driving on uneven surfaces 🤪

Even the most tight BMWs I’ve had start to get them on uneven surfaces after while. And don’t even talk to me about MINIs 😂

Reactions: Durzel
Put on some music? Life seems too short to lose your 💩over rattles when driving on uneven surfaces 🤪

Even the most tight BMWs I’ve had start to get them on uneven surfaces after while. And don’t even talk to me about MINIs 😂
Why should I put on some music iif when I drive I love to listen to podcasts etc.

Car for 50k gbp should be producing this. thing is that with BMW or similar when I had it - it was easily fixable with gummi pfelges.. but not this case.

Is your door perfectly flush with the rear wing? If it is sticking out a little bit you can adjust the door striker to bring in the door which would press against the seals better.

My MY has developed an annoying and randomly occurring rattle on the ceiling trim above the driver door. If I push the trim up with my hand it stops, which suggests to me something is loose and causing the noise. Obviously when I had a mobile service visit to check this out alongside a more concerning rear seatbelt issue, when we went for a drive the rattle decided to hide, typical.

However as it’s right next to my right ear when it starts it’s impossible to ignore and turning up the music doesn’t change that one bit.

My MY has developed an annoying and randomly occurring rattle on the ceiling trim above the driver door. If I push the trim up with my hand it stops, which suggests to me something is loose and causing the noise. Obviously when I had a mobile service visit to check this out alongside a more concerning rear seatbelt issue, when we went for a drive the rattle decided to hide, typical.

However as it’s right next to my right ear when it starts it’s impossible to ignore and turning up the music doesn’t change that one bit.
Exactly the same squeak/rattle on my 2022 MY on the ceiling trim just behind my right ear. I haven’t quite got to the stage of pulling the car apart yet but I’m not far off it.

well, update.
I have expanded search of the bugger and identify it either door either rear bolster. but I am getting closed :D

I can apply gummi pfelge or wurth rubber fit almost daily. it helps... for like 15 minutes. or does not help at all.

regarding rattle at the driver - I had annoying one at driver sear belt adjuster... tesla sorted that one but it is developing at the passenger side now.

i am losing my nerves with such horrible internal quality... this is just not justifiable.

well, update.
I have expanded search of the bugger and identify it either door either rear bolster. but I am getting closed :D

I can apply gummi pfelge or wurth rubber fit almost daily. it helps... for like 15 minutes. or does not help at all.

regarding rattle at the driver - I had annoying one at driver sear belt adjuster... tesla sorted that one but it is developing at the passenger side now.

i am losing my nerves with such horrible internal quality... this is just not justifiable.
I took both driver and pax seat belt adjusters apart and felt lined them myself. It's like whack-a-mole fixing rattles in Tesla's.

Exactly the same squeak/rattle on my 2022 MY on the ceiling trim just behind my right ear. I haven’t quite got to the stage of pulling the car apart yet but I’m not far off it.

It's a real "ear worm" for me now. Annoying as hell.

Nest time you drive try pushing the trim upwards with your hand and see if that stops it. Does for me but I don't want to drive one-handed constantly, even with Autopilot :)

I have a host of minor creaks coming from the rear - I’m guessing from the rear boot casings. If it was just one it would be manageable but it's coming from multiple places so all adds up to a cacophony of creaks back there! I took it in for a service under warranty and the service people said they could hear it too but couldn't locate. So I need to take it in again but this time they need to spend a whole day with the car so they'll give me a loaner (I wish they would've done that on the first time and me not having to take it in twice but hey ho).

Like others have said, I listen to music pretty loud most of the time so it doesn't always matter. But sometimes I switch it off and that's when I think "whoa is there orchestra of creaky mice in the back of my car!?". Will keep you posted on what the outcome is from the SC.