Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven regen poor in cooler weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Raven MX performance and now the weather is getting cooler I’ve noticed regen is incredibly weak. Almost non existent with temps around 50oF. My previous MX regen was way stronger and I wouldn’t get the dashed yellow lines until temps into the 30s. Anyone seen the same issue?

Reactions: davezforce
Yes, I see the lines limiting regen to 50 kW when the battery has soaked in temperatures around 50 °F. This is something Tesla can easily adjust in firmware so it is indeed possible that in previous revisions it was set less conservatively but it has always been thus since I've had this car (since Dec 2018).

I have a 2019 Raven MX performance and now the weather is getting cooler I’ve noticed regen is incredibly weak. Almost non existent with temps around 50oF. My previous MX regen was way stronger and I wouldn’t get the dashed yellow lines until temps into the 30s. Anyone seen the same issue?

I think your recollection may be confused. My 2016 X started limiting regen when cold soaked in 55F weather, just like my Raven does.

I do believe the peak regen on the Ravens is higher than it was on older cars, so if the pack temp is limiting regen it may feel like more of a change.

Reactions: mswlogo
I think your recollection may be confused. My 2016 X started limiting regen when cold soaked in 55F weather, just like my Raven does.

I do believe the peak regen on the Ravens is higher than it was on older cars, so if the pack temp is limiting regen it may feel like more of a change.
Probably this is the answer. More change, more noticeable. And the first change in the seasons, the more you notice it also.

Best way to cope with this is to charge every night and put your charging on a schedule so that it will finish charging within an hour of your normal departure time. Whilst charging the car will heat is batteries and then when you leave in the morning you'll likely have full regen which means your driving will also be more efficient. Currently you need to estimate how much charge you'll need and set the time according to your charging set up - I set mine to only charge for 2 hours in the morning before I leave. In the future version that's about to be released we've been promised the ability to set charging to finish at our departure time which will make it perfect.

The regen on the Raven X seems more abrupt than on the Model 3.

My car in an attached garage so it's cooler in summer than outdoors and warmer in winter.

I had some limited Regen on the Model 3 (AWD) even in July (60's and 70's over night). But it was only a few dots.
But even when it hit 30's and 40's overnight it typically would be 30% limited and not all that noticeable.
Those dots would take a good amount of driving to get rid off too.

On the X, if it's 55F overnight I might see no limitation. If it's 45-50F overnight it might jump to 50% regen limited, and very noticeable.

No biggy, just a bit different.