Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re-enable supercharging service request on salvage title.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your conclusion, based on ... ?

So far as I can tell, Tesla is saying the car is road worthy after it passes inspection. They are not saying it is DCFC worthy.
They check the HV system at the inspection (including battery and chargers) and the car always does an internal check before it starts to charge, it’s not going to supercharge a Damaged battery salvage title or not. I see cars at the auctions with salvage titles for basic panel damage, even hail damage, nothing to do with the battery at all, so the idea that all salvage cars are total Junk and dangerous is just a naive opinion. Doesn’t help the cars value and some other things for sure though. What are you basing your conclusion on?

They check the HV system at the inspection
Under load of say ... 250 kW ?

As I understand things, Tesla will turn off DCFC of any salvage car that comes to it for inspection. No choice is offered, but a car that passes inspection will then be eligible for updates and service.

Draw your own conclusions, but do not presume that an inspection implies safe DCFC.

How hard would it be for Tesla to do an inspection to ensure supercharging is safe? NOT HARD AT ALL. They choose not to allow supercharging for no other reason than that it is Tesla's preference. If they wanted to allow salvage titles to supercharge it would be really easy for them to do.

SO we have to ask, why dont they allow it? THey could enable it, make money on the inspection, and then make money on the supercharging.... So If they dont want to make that money, then why not? I can't see around any other reason than to sell new cars, highest margin, yeah they could make money on inspections and supercharging. But that is chump change when you could sell them a used car with high margins or sell them a new car.

And it works, I dont want to ever own a branded Tesla ever again. I am all about owning a Tesla, Ive been reaching out to the used car sales team, and they suck! Having a hard time getting a call back on a couple different 2016.5 75d's. going for the low 40's. Ive got that into my salvage title car right now.

I digress,
Tesla wants me in a new or used car and doesnt find enough value in my business as a branded title owner.

I presume you say that as an EE with an in-depth knowledge of Tesla cars ?
Do you question it as an EE with in depth knowledge of Tesla cars?

and if so, why?

for the lay person, like myself, it appears that Tesla is more than capable of certifying a vehicle to be capable of supercharging. Especially for a car that has Not had damage past the paneling.
If they can’t verify that a car is capable of supercharging then I think that they have some problems at a very basic level in their service department.

While I'm not a fan of the policy, it does make sense to me from Tesla's perspective. It only takes one mistake in an inspection to miss something, and imagine all the bad press of "Tesla bursts into flames at supercharging station", if they missed something in any one of these refurbishing salvage inspections. DC fast charging is the highest stress the batteries experience, by far, as well as the aspect most unambiguously reflecting negatively on Tesla if it does go wrong (they can't argue that it was a noncompliant 3rd party charger, or that the driver was driving erratically or inattentively, or anything like that like they could with most other potential Tesla mishaps.)

It makes sense to argue that if it's superficial damage that doesn't affect the battery or wiring then they should allow it, but, again, I suspect the blanket policy (applying to all salvage cars, no exceptions) does make sense in an effort to eliminate any potential judgement calls (and thus potential judgment errors) on the part of the service technicians.

Regarding the discussion of qualifications, I don't claim to be an expert in Tesla's electrical systems, but I have worked with electronics for over a decade, and taken some classes involving dealing with these sorts of high voltage/high current systems.

Reactions: SageBrush
@APotatoGod You could use the same argument to cripple any ICE car, and yet, nobody does it. They want to address some issues (not related to safety), but they are cresting many more. As a salvage owner, Tesla would make way more money from me if they were more permissive (would update to MCU2, would pay for DC charge, etc).

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
I did get ahold of Ingineer, but you are right

Tesla will charge 500$ to be back on their network but there is no more supercharging, EVER!
What I dont get is, my car is capable of supercharging, I pass the HV inspection at Tesla that says its all good, and they wont allow me to even pay for supercharging! what a drag!
Sledom
how did get ahold of Ingineer i like to see if i can help repairing salvage tesla

I don’t think it is related to supercharging itself but to bad press if anything happens to a tesla. A salvaged ionic or etron bursting into flames at a supercharger is not what they fear will give them bad press. Any ice car bursting into flames will make the local newspaper, if at all. A tesla bursting into flames due to charging will go all over the world. Its just what the brand attracts, both good and bad news, due to its hype. Its like how teslas are referred to as “a tesla” and any other brand as “a car”.