Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reached out to tesla for known wiper issue...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20221220-114227_Tesla.jpg

Tried scheduling a service appointment for my two week old MYLR 2022 and got this response, will update on the reply when received...

View attachment 887148
Tried scheduling a service appointment for my two week old MYLR 2022 and got this response, will update on the reply when received...

There is no reply for them to send you regarding what you asked. There is no hardware they can swap in, and there is nothing (absolutely nothing) that any local service center can do about this.

All you are doing is branding yourself "a problem" with your local service center. If you want to do that, go ahead but its not going to change anything with the auto wipers, but could change how you are responded to if you have any other issue.

Note that I dont work for tesla, nor am I a tesla insider... but I have either performed or managed people who perform customer service roles my entire working career, and I am in my mid 50s. If you think there is no such thing as branding a customer a problem, thats incorrect. If you think yelling / complaining to people who have no ability to fix your problem is also going to do anything other than perhaps make you feel better, and make them resent you, you are also incorrect.

Look, the auto wipers suck, I get it. sometimes they are better sometimes they are worse, but submitting a service request for your local service center, railing at them about "remove this beta software" etc, is not doing anything but making them "remember" you for all the wrong reasons.

Thanks, I've worked in hospitality customer service myself and disagree with your assessment of me yelling at them. I am simply looking for a solution and they can get back to me on what is and isn't possible. Not sure why or when tesla turned into a soup nazi type situation probably because of people like you 😂 There's a major issue here on a luxury car that I and everyone else has all the right in the world to make noise about. If it rankles someone in customer service or puts me on the naughty list so be it!

Thanks, I've worked in hospitality customer service myself and disagree with your assessment of me yelling at them. I am simply looking for a solution and they can get back to me on what is and isn't possible. Not sure why or when tesla turned into a soup nazi type situation probably because of people like you 😂 There's a major issue here on a luxury car that I and everyone else has all the right in the world to make noise about. If it rankles someone in customer service or puts me on the naughty list so be it!

There is nothing (repeat nothing) that your service center can do, and if you worked in hospitality and got the message you sent ("Fix it, Saftey Hazard!" "Useless" for something you had ZERO ability to change, or escalate, then you know you would either just ignore them, or write some sort of meaningless "I will pass this on to the people who can do something" quote while knowing that there was nothing for you to escalate.

There are Plenty of things that your service center might be able to help you with, or that are worth making noise with them about. This isnt one of them, since no matter what amount of noise you make, there is nothing for them to do. They are not going to be able to swap in a rain sensor, or anything like that, and there is no other hardware thing they can do. They can only wait for engineering to push something out.

You do you, though, if it makes you feel better. Im just saying the only update you could possibly get is " We will escalate this up the chain for you". "sorry you are having an issue with it".

Their first (and only) answer provided exactly that, what is and isn't possible. Essentially, nothing is possible at the moment. Your additional comments were unnecessary and will not get you any additional help. As @jjrandorin says, at best they could answer "we will escalate, sorry".
It sounds like the service center is one of the few places the OP can contact Tesla, so if they escalate it then ideally Tesla can implement changes due to feedback, such as allowing users to opt into beta features in a piecemeal fashion. Or, other than tweeting at Musk, where else can the OP provide feedback and criticism? Because feedback and criticism is the only way someone can learn they need to change something due to customer dissatisfaction.

Again we can disagree on this, yes the person who I am talking to can't fix this, but it can certainly be escalated and with enough people escalating it there will be a fix sooner rather then later. Your advice that we should put up with something that renders so many features useless and obediently sit around for tesla to fix it is probably more pointless.

Tesla apologists and public defenders save your key strokes lol...

Again we can disagree on this, yes the person who I am talking to can't fix this, but it can certainly be escalated and with enough people escalating it there will be a fix sooner rather then later. Your advice that we should put up with something that renders so many features useless and obediently sit around for tesla to fix it is probably more pointless.

Tesla apologists and public defenders save your key strokes lol...
I am neither a Tesla apologist or a public defender, whatever that means, but I am a realist. You have two options here. Deal with it until a fix comes out and improves the wiper functionality, if it comes out. or You can sell your vehicle and buy something that you feel is more fitting to your personal wants. Only you can decide how much it bothers you, but literally ranting about it to everyone you can think of will do no good. Solve your own problems.

Hey man you do you and I'll do me. I love my tesla for the most part. If it was a bigger deal I'd deal with it appropriately. Apologies if my "rant" upset you. Smfh...

The purpose of my post was to share what tesla can or can't do right now. Not everyone is an expert (allegedly) like you and the other guy slamming my post...

I love my Tesla's too for the most part. Are they perfect NO, but still better than most of the vehicles I've driven in the past few years. I also have a problem with my Model Y that Tesla can not currently fix. Is it a deal breaker again NO, so I will wait to see if a fix comes out at a later time, especially since I've got plenty of years left on the warranty. You'll get a much better reaction from everyone including the Service Center. If you tone down the indignation, you can assert the need without being mean.

Reactions: HelloJP
Thanks for the life lesson, I'll take it into consideration. I personally believe this issue warrants "indignation" and shouldn't be an issue that makes it to market.

Speaking now as a product manager. If a feature I released or my team released with such a major flaw, there'd probably be heads rolling. Again thanks for your unwarranted point of view on my reactions and modus operandi in this manner!

The problem is that your complaints will NOT be addressed, they will NOT be moved "up the chain" to a higher level of customer service, and they will NOT make a bit of difference other than getting your branded as a problem. The only solution (sad to say) in our modern society is to take you bitches, moans, groans, and complaints to social media, or to a government safety agency.

Is the faulty auto wiper software a potential safety issue? Then report it to the NHTSB.

Is the faulty auto wiper software just anoying on a 70K plus car? Get your butt on twitter, Facebook, and make a YouTube video about it.

Keith

PS: The problem is easily solved by installing the S3XY buttons so you can turn the wipers off while using Auto Pilot.

I'm totally with @mabbas on this.
I've got in touch with support through the app no later than yesterday for the exact same issue. Autopilot and Autosteer, a core Tesla functionnality, made completely unusable 5, 6 months per year where I live, just because Tesla can't get auto wipers to work as they should? I'm sorry but this is plainly unacceptable.

I didn't even know it was a known issue on the Model Y, which makes it even worse.
It's been a few months now, and still no fix in the horizon? For a car at that price tag, yes, this is definitely worth complaining rather than just sit and wait for a firmware update that will maybe eventually address the issue.

I insisted and got a appointment at the closest SC next Thursday. Maybe I'll go there for nothing, but this will maybe send a signal among others to Tesla to take issues like these seriously.
Elon repeatedly said services in SC needed to step up, I'll have a chance to report improvements if I see any (well, that was before the Twitter madness)

PS: and no, I will not spend $300 CAD for "sexy buttons" to fix something that should be working. All other car manufacturers have had auto wipers working properly for years.

While it may be a hassle, if Autosteer and Autopilot are core functions for you, pressing the button on the left stalk and turning the wipers off after you have engaged Autosteer and Autopilot allows them to continue working without the annoyance of the wipers. Also, S3XY Buttons are well worth the cost as the many other features and functionality are really, really good (and it removes the problem of the beta windshield wipers).

@samori01 I wouldn't classify them as "core functions for me" , but it certainly was an alluring feature that is better on tesla's than on most vehicles on the road, no? I'm not sure I understand your solution. I'm pretty sure the off button is disabled in AS/AP mode even if the left stalk button is pressed. The only work around I can see if you can call it that is disengaging AS/AP and then turning off the wipers as the button is available again. Still researching the s3xy buttons...

Reactions: zoomer0056
@samori01 I wouldn't classify them as "core functions for me" , but it certainly was an alluring feature that is better on tesla's than on most vehicles on the road, no? I'm not sure I understand your solution. I'm pretty sure the off button is disabled in AS/AP mode even if the left stalk button is pressed. The only work around I can see if you can call it that is disengaging AS/AP and then turning off the wipers as the button is available again. Still researching the s3xy buttons...
The off button isn't disabled. If you turn it off, when you turn on AS/AP then it cuts the auto wipers back on (saying something like it is needed for AS/AP). However, all you then have to do is cut the wipers off again, similar to the automatic high beam. What the S3XY buttons do is automate this for you, so when you set a button to turn AS/AP on, it cuts the wipers off for you, so that you don't have to do it manually, so one touch and it is all done. But the buttons merely (conveniently) turn the multiple steps into a button push.

Reactions: mabbas