Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that they are offered soon also! I don't need or even want them, but many have waited along time thinking they would have them! I was a bit surprised at the small back storage space, but was lucky that it would work for my needs.

Jason, I can't wait to test drive it. I hope I was wrong with my points...
Itsnot, true, but there was actually not a word about the autopilot for a looong time now...And in fact he did not mention if the X can even be upgraded to Ap...unless I missed it.

Interesting, counter productive passive aggressive fan boy replies from the other guys ;O)

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

Btw, my last post was supposed to be after itsnot...'s post...

- - - Updated - - -

ok, just to get this straight: This is my own subjective opinion. I don't judge someone buying the X. I just don't get this car and the issues I outlined. Would love the hear some other viewpoints about these issues. Don't get offended, it's nothing personal ;O))

Jason, I can't wait to test drive it. I hope I was wrong with my points...
Itsnot, true, but there was actually not a word about the autopilot for a looong time now...And in fact he did not mention if the X can even be upgraded to Ap...unless I missed it.

Interesting, counter productive passive aggressive fan boy replies from the other guys ;O)

Well, I get not talking about AutoPIlot because they'd be saying "We're still testing it and it didn't help that our lead programmer got poached by Apple."

Just imagine that Elon Musk had said "I think you know about the S, so it's like that but with some differences. Here are the differences..."

But he really needs a prompt, or to share the stage. The occasional ad libs are fine, but at times it seems his wheels are spinning and that detracted a bit from what was, in terms of presenting the unique X features, pretty good.

Last edited:
I was at the event. It was obviously poorly organized and late. I didn't enjoy that, seemed less organized than the D event. Loved that Elon spoke. I was pleased with the topics and his presentation of them. Would have liked MORE Info!:smile: LOVED the product! I liked the look much more than expected! Test ride was great, but short and a long wait. I was in the second row and windows rolled down normally and seat belt did not cut into this short person neck. Anxiously awaiting my chance to configure and purchase!

Did you try rolling the windows down all the way or 2/3? I read on one of the threads the rear windows only roll down 2/3rd.

Lol seashepherd you seem mad.

Not sure why though, all this information wasn't really new.

Enjoy your P90D!

I love the look of the X as well as the new windscreen, doors, frunk, etc. (pretty much disagree with your post completely).

But again to each their own. There's a reason I have 2 X reservations. [emoji4]

No one called you names like 'troll', even though you came here to diss something to a bunch of people you know are purchasing. What's with the need to name call? Friendly forum, all opinions are welcome - but I personally dislike lashing out with 'passive aggressive fan boy' responses. Seems counter-productive, no?

To each their own, I guess.

Btw, my last post was supposed to be after itsnot...'s post...

- - - Updated - - -

ok, just to get this straight: This is my own subjective opinion. I don't judge someone buying the X. I just don't get this car and the issues I outlined. Would love the hear some other viewpoints about these issues. Don't get offended, it's nothing personal ;O))

Maybe not the SUV for you, think about sticking with the 6M if you love iDrive, high center of gravity, low gas mileage, the same interior as a 3 series, no on demand internet radio, no third row, massive greenhouse polluter, oh, and slow off the line.

Based on the following facts:

1. Elon specifically said a while back that MX's autopilot hardware is a step beyond what is currently shipping
2. No camera changes were present on delivered cars on Tuesday
3. MX web site rendering has what looks like at least a bi-optic camera in the photo; at minimum it is different hardware than was seen in the delivered vehicles
4. Photos exist of test mules with tri-optic camera:

tFdxcKJ.jpg

Here's my hypothesis of where we are on autopilot:

1. Next version of autopilot hardware uses a bi-optic or tri-optic camera
2. New camera is not yet integrated in MS; Tesla did not want to announce it with MX, thereby convincing people wait on MS purchases
3. Tesla did not want to hold up the MX launch over this, instead will retrofit them later for early deliveries

I think there's a reasonable chance that the new camera will be retrofittable to all autopilot vehicles, the key assumption being that the older wiring harness is capable of connecting to it.

Last edited:
No one called you names like 'troll', even though you came here to diss something to a bunch of people you know are purchasing. What's with the need to name call? Friendly forum, all opinions are welcome - but I personally dislike lashing out with 'passive aggressive fan boy' responses. Seems counter-productive, no?

To each their own, I guess.

Agreed Bonnie but some people just like to name call. It's makes them feel special and gives them a purpose in life. Sad really.

Thee is no competition for people who care about driving an EV. For us not driving an ICE is far more important than details about a door handle, seat, etc.
True. I wish another car manufacturer would offer a competitive EV. I don't care for limited choices.
Personally I don't care if I drive EV or ICE. I also understand and can appreciate that it is practically religion to some.
For you, there are viable alternatives. You can let folding seats and door be deal-breakers.
Not nearly enough information was given last night about the X for me to configure my Signature reservation so today I went to my local Tesla store and cancelled that reservation. Now, that's not quite as dramatic as it sounds because I still have a remaining reservation for a production X. Whether or not I purchase an X or cancel that reservation will depend on a number of factors that still have to be demonstrated to me.
To be candid, I'm glad that I do not have a signature reservation. I still have plans to purchase when my number is called but I'm glad that I have more time to decide.

Tough engineering and manufacturing decisions need to be made every day. I have no doubt that folding seats will eventually be offered.
Thank you for posting this. The folding seat issue is not a big deal for me but I did envision a completely flat space that could be used for comfortable sleeping.

Lol seashepherd you seem mad.

Not sure why though, all this information wasn't really new.

Enjoy your P90D!

I love the look of the X as well as the new windscreen, doors, frunk, etc. (pretty much disagree with your post completely).

But again to each their own. There's a reason I have 2 X reservations. [emoji4]
3 model s's
2 model X's

I think you own more teslas than Elon Musk!

As for OP, I disagree completely. The bio hazard button is pretty cool, and who doesn't love the benefit that feature provides, regardless of the "nerdy" name.
Tesla has done the crash tests and the large windshield must have done perfectly fine otherwise they would not have included that, safety seems to be Teslas number one priority
Nit everyone will like the way it looks, and that's fine.

See... the thing is, in the past there have been lots of people, brand new posters, who have ulterior motives and nefarious agendas (e.g.: working for Big Oil, or NADA, or whoever). So when a vehement post such as yours comes along with your first post, one might wonder. Insulting Musk the way you did shows you have no understanding whatsoever who he is or how he comes across on stage or in interviews. He is definitely a driving force for positive change for Earth and he deserves to have YOU cut him some slack. After all, you have no history here. Maybe build some positive history in writing, or ask respectful questions, before vitriolic trashing. Just a suggestion... or even, just my opinion, of course.

Steven Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People) suggested a good habit, before spouting off, is "Seek to understand, THEN to be understood". I don't mean to be condescending. The Model X isn't for me either. But I fully subscribe to Tesla's mission, and I believe they are allowed to make their own business decisions in order to change the world. That means being different. That means some people (maybe, lots of people) just won't get it.

Ok, off the soapbox. I look forward to your future, calmer posts. The first one, well, it really p****d me off.

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Btw, I'm a reservation holder and want very much to love the X. But I'd like to think I'm not yet a fanboy that's blind to reality.

Elon's presentation skills
Isn't it common knowledge that he's not a great speaker? But he's kind of endearing to me in that it seems like he gives presentations to the world in the same manner he'd present it to you personally in his living room.

Model X styling
This is purely subjective. I think it looks quite good and I have a hard time seeing someone loving the S and hating the X

Biohazard
This is a feature that I think nobody had any clue of. So one's initial impression upon seeing something like that is hard to trust. It's something you need to think about for a while. I agree the biohazard marketing angle is either fun or lame depending on your sense of humor. But, for reals, most people commute in rush hour, and studies have shown that people who live within certain distances of freeways have proven increased health complications. Don't you think it's kinda cool that in the X you can effectively eliminate ALL that crap you'd otherwise be breathing twice a day every week day during your commute? So I thought this was cool.

Interior fit and finish
I did the rest ride and I tried to brave the mob around Elon's car. It was just way too dark and quick on the test ride and too crowded around Elon's car to make a judgement personally. I figure it's on par with the model S, right?

2nd Row not foldable
Yeah, it's tough to say. I agree intuitively I'd rather they folded. I'd like to know the number of inches of attainable cargo depth. If it's big enough to fit any box you can get from Ikea then that would be a pretty good benchmark. You're never gonna get a sheet of drywall in there due to the width. It's not as cavernous as a minivan with seats remove. Okay. That's just it. But that would be an impossible thing to accomplish the interior space of a minivan in the exterior form factor of an SUV. Bottom line, I kinda agree with you but really hope it's ultimately not a deal breaker for me. It's way less common for me to carry surf boards and 2x4s. I'm usually doing a trip with the family and just need volume as opposed to long cargo space.

Falcon doors
Well if you can't get in the front door of the X cuz the next car is too close, you won't be able to get in the minivan either in the same situation. I think your complaint is silly in that you're saying yeah the FDs are better, but the whole package is worse cuz all 4 doors aren't FDs.
Also, you're the driver, so you're an adult, and it's your car and you love it. So you know you'll be really careful not to ding the next car in a tight squeeze. The FDs are for being able to rush all your kids into the back who don't care at all and would slam the next car if they could. Yes the demo was a bit disingenuous in that with a minivan, your just walk around the front, or walk past the door before opening it. But then again, with unruly kids, the more ways you can get the kids in the better. And cut them some slack it's a demo after all.
I'm 6'2" and noticed I had about 3-4" of air above my head under the open FD. So, in a low garage, it would still have a few inches before I even had to duck. Most people would have a fair bit more headroom. And...if you're tall you're already used to ducking here and there for things. I feel like you're overreacting there.
As for door speed/reliability...you may have a point. Are they slower than minivan power doors? Everyone I know with a minivan loves the power doors and has them opening well before they've walked up to the vehicle. So there's really zero wait there. And once you're all in, by the time you buckle up and get ready to go the doors are closed.

Windshield
The engineer who did our test drive said there will be pop in sunshades to block the pano of you want. It does seem clumsy, but at least it's an option. He also said there's like 4 layers of tint and it's super good at blocking the sun. It's TBD but for a bit of money you just pop in the shade and leave it forever and you're no worse than if you had a solid steel roof.

Tow range
Agreed. Let's take the airstream and camp in the Costco parking lot!
Lol. But I'll say, let's say you have a boat and you live near a lake. You could imagine it being useful just for short trips to launch the boat for the day. It's at least an ability which the model S doesn't have so don't hate the X cuz it can't tow far. No EV today can tow far. If you expected it to be able to tow far then that's kind of your problem, not the X's. If you need to tow far you need an ICE

Spare tire
Lots of cars only have run flats. I personally am old school and like a full size spare. But you almost never get that anywhere these days

Heads up display, pedestrian safety etc
I can't really comment. Maybe it does have some of those things. My life hasn't been changed yet by heads up display so I'm not enlightened to what I'm missing

I don't really know what you're looking for in a vehicle. If you had a X6, then it would seem the X is more for you than the S. With AWD the S loses a lot of frunk. And I have to believe that the X has a lot more cargo space than the S. Oh yeah, one more thing I did ask the engineer on the test ride why no folding 2nd seats. He said, the seats do move and tilt forward really far like quite close up behind the first seats. I think his point was that it's not that much worse than if the seats did fold. And each of the 3 seats are independent so you can push one up really far while the other 2 are occupied

Not sure if any of that changes your mind :)