Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie, your first reply was a non productive passive aggressive reply...
Superloud, thanks for your reply and taking the time. This is exactly what I was asking for, the opinion of one who likes all these features. I can't wait for the test ride.
I don't write this stuff because I hate the car, but for fuel for discussion. Again, this is not a personal attack on anyone, so chill.

Lol seashepherd you seem mad.

Not sure why though, all this information wasn't really new.

Enjoy your P90D!

I love the look of the X as well as the new windscreen, doors, frunk, etc. (pretty much disagree with your post completely).

But again to each their own. There's a reason I have 2 X reservations. [emoji4]

So...five Tesla cars? Giving you five thumbs it's the only thing it came in my mind!:biggrin:

I will never be able to purchase a Model S our a X (the one I really need), but people who are so wealthy that they can choose almost any car they want and make the jump to Tesla cars instead of an other BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Audi make my day! Congrats!
For my modest part, I'm already saving for a Model 3 cross-over, even I will not be able to purchase it before an other five years at least.
About the X, yes it's true it could be better, like every thing else in life, but Tesla it's not a century long brand with a lot of money in bank to invest as much as they would want to do, but although that, they have no need to cheat regulations or customers to feed their greed appetite for even more profits like others luxury poisonous brands have.:cursing:

Seashepherd,

I actually think you bring up some valid points, such as parking between tight spots like that. The thought hadn't much crossed my mind but I also think the presentation was not to suggest doing this, but more so to demonstrate the flexibility the dual hinged f-doors offer. I didn't know they had as much flexibility and was impressed by their ability to open so close so it was an effective display, for me at least.

Regarding design and fit/finish/quality, I think the jury is still out for those of us who haven't been inside one. It's fair to say Tesla seems to have less a plush feel when compared to other vehicles of the same price but it's also important to consider the price tag set for so many more reasons other than the luxury. The rear seats look pretty sweet in my opinion, almost like individual bucket seats, adding a sportier passenger experience.

Tesla is a relatively young company with a lot going on. Seeing some disorganization isn't unexpected by me and it almost adds a bit of 'small business' feel to things (for better or worse). To me, things like this have their own bit of charm (then again I say the same about Italian machines, which tend to break, ahem, 'charm').

TMC is an amazing resource and seems like a close-knit community, though some posts do seem a little fanboyish. But hey, this is a car forum after all, the same thing happens over at Bimmerpost :] Personally, I love Tesla's releases and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation last night. Somehow, if everything had gone smoothly and if Musk were a smooth talking salesman, it wouldn't have felt as 'special' to me. I think the Model X is a great car, but definitely not the car for me.

Sooo, are you buying a Model X P90D or a Model S P90D?

I'm guessing a Model S... But I find it funny to read your post like you are a bipolar fanboy. "I hate it in every way - take my money damnit!"

I don't consider myself a fanboy - I was one of the first and most vocal to criticise the lack of a folding 2nd row. But have you been living in a hole for the last 5 years? There were no big surprises at the launch, only some new details like the HEPA filter, new nose design and auto-opening/closing front doors. Aside from the non-folding second row seats (and subjectively - appearance), the Model X shown yesterday is superior to the prototype shown in 2012 in every way.

I'm disappointed about the non-folding 2nd row, but the 6 seat configuration might still work for me. And the nose might need getting used to, but it's not that terrible. The worst you can say about it is that it is bland - but this is offset by the falcon wing doors. (No one will be looking at the nose.) A front plate should also help break up the front a bit more.

Regarding the launch, I didn't in any way think Musk embarrased himself. It didn't occur to me until I read criticism on this forum. He is himself, he got everything they planned to present across just fine.

Regarding the autopilot, the Model X will certainly have it, and probably at the same time the Model S gets it. Personally, I don't care the slightest bit about autopilot, but it's my understanding some people do. If you want to see how autopilot works, rewatch the "D" announcement.

I care more about the biohazard mode. This at least provides some utility to me, although I wouldn't pay more than maybe $500-1000 if it was an option. I will enjoy not being bothered by exhaust in particularly tunnels. And if I have to drive through a forest fire, it might save my life. I also have a pollen allergy, so if I'm in the car, there's probably no issue if I've forgotten my antihistamines.

Regarding the falcon-wing doors. They don't solve world problems, sure. But in some ways they are better than all other doors, in other ways they are not. I don't see them as a major selling point, but I don't see them as a problem either. They're fine. And you ask what happens if you hang on to them as they open - 99% surely they will stop.

Regarding hauling. I wouldn't buy the Model X if it couldn't haul, just as I've considered the Model S, but just haven't been able to buy it because it can't haul. I would expect something like a 40-60% range hit when towing 5000 lb. Maybe 25% if towing a low, light trailer. This is fine. You'll still for the most part be able to get between suprchargers.

- - - Updated - - -

OP..I still cannot get past the fact you drive a bmw m6 and your handle is seashepard.:wink:
I can't get past the fact that the handle is Seashepherd full stop. But I do *not* want to derail this thread. Instead I'll add this link.

That's a false distinction; it's not an either/or situation. We were discussing presentation style, not the relative merits of the companies' product linesBut that argument itself is beside the point anyway. The presentations could have been rehearsed and been more polished with little additional effort. And if Musk is too busy to rehearse his presentations, that speaks to either discomfort or disdain of the process.
We don't know that. Maybe Tesla was working 24/7 to get the car ready within Q3 to please the investors, and everything else became secondary. Or maybe the release was completely decoupled from the product as you suggest. I was just offering my reflection that I can have oversight with a bad presentation given said prerequisites about vision and passion for the product, and if I have to choose between form and substance, I choose the latter. It doesn't mean I think form is unimportant.
but if you wanted to go down that route, I'd suggest that the iPhone has been far more transformative of modern culture than Tesla has to date.
I totally agree and that is why I deliberatedly did not use the iPhone in my example.

Last edited:
The fact that the 2nd row don't fold is indeed a real deal breaker; I still cannot believe that they are releasing the X like that. What is even more weird is that they made 3 seats you can move forward and backward individually, but as far as I can tell from the photos and descriptions, the seats are sort of monobloc and you cannot even recline the backs (I guess that if you could recline the backs, then they would also easily fold...). So you have a supposedly big car, with 3 individual 2nd row seats but these passengers cannot even adjust their seats to recline / lie down... that pretty much defeats the purpose of having such seats!

One of the beauties of owning a Model S is that there is much more usable space than in any other sedan and even a number SUVs. Now Tesla releases a "bigger" car, and while there is a little more usable height, these non-foldable 2nd row seats actually give you less space to play with ... I must have said it before, but this is ridiculous :)

The fact that the 2nd row don't fold is indeed a real deal breaker; I still cannot believe that they are releasing the X like that. What is even more weird is that they made 3 seats you can move forward and backward individually, but as far as I can tell from the photos and descriptions, the seats are sort of monobloc and you cannot even recline the backs (I guess that if you could recline the backs, then they would also easily fold...). So you have a supposedly big car, with 3 individual 2nd row seats but these passengers cannot even adjust their seats to recline / lie down... that pretty much defeats the purpose of having such seats!
Are you sure? The seats do tilt, and on the side of the seat there`s small button formed as the seat itself.
I think the seats will be able to tilt, unlike the Model S seats. Even though full fold isn`t possible.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons for each individual. For me, I plan(ned) to buy the vehicle in spite of them because I care about the electric drivetrain and CO2 emissions. We have a MS and I'd like to replace the functionality of the van with another electric vehicle. If I could do so, but would have to live with falcon wing doors, I'd do it. However, things like non-folding second row seats also start to weigh in, and eventually you get enough facts to make a decision.

Life is not black and white. It's not falcon wing doors or not, period. It's about compromising here and there, and deciding how much compromise is OK. With the MS, AlMc said it best - there was no compromise, so the decision was simple. With the MX, for some of us, it's not as simple. I take issue with anyone suggesting it should be.

What is the largest inconvenience ? Global Warming, or non-folding second row seats ?

- - - Updated - - -

We are all entitled to our opinions. Don't cross the line criticizing other people's opinions!

That reminds me of this very intelligent article :

The Coddling of the American Mind

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus - The Atlantic

Are you sure? The seats do tilt, and on the side of the seat there`s small button formed as the seat itself.
I think the seats will be able to tilt, unlike the Model S seats. Even though full fold isn`t possible.

Yes, I notice the small button as well, maybe it is to tilt and move forward/back the whole seat, but when you look at the different photos of these seats (especially from the side), they really look like they are "forged" in one piece and that the angle of the back cannot be adjusted (like what you can do with front seats).

Some of you might not be happy with the final product, but Tesla has been completely honest about and faithful in trying to make the production vehicles as good or better than the prototypes. To suggest otherwise is complete nonsense.

If the non-folding 2nd row seat is a deal killer for you, then kill the deal. But it was always just a concept of good storage space in the vehicle, which is hard to argue against given the frunk and under seat storage, not to mention the accessory hitches and towing capability. Go ahead and recommend folding seats to Tesla and let them know it's important to you, and maybe they will come up with another 2nd row seating option in the future.

As another forum member said, is it okay if Tesla swap in ICE powertrain because the electric motor was just a concept?

If Tesla never get AutoPilot to work, is it alright because theoretically it could be done with the hardware you purchased and Tesla never promised a firm deadline on enabling the feature?

Tesla screwed up on the 2nd row seats, plain and simple. This is what I was expecting and this is what they shown before. Shall I assume that any feature that they promise and any rendering that they show are complete BS until the final product is delivered?

2ndrow.png

It is worth pointing out that the mono-post mount adds valuable foot space to the 3rd row occupant and under seat storage space will be quite useful. But having non-folding seats more than negates that.

As another forum member said, is it okay if Tesla swap in ICE powertrain because the electric motor was just a concept?

If Tesla never get AutoPilot to work, is it alright because theoretically it could be done with the hardware you purchased and Tesla never promised a firm deadline on enabling the feature?

Tesla screwed up on the 2nd row seats, plain and simple. This is what I was expecting and this is what they shown before. Shall I assume that any feature that they promise and any rendering that they show are complete BS until the final product is delivered?

View attachment 96249

How many times a year do you need to fold those second row seats ?
How many days every year do you live on a planet getting dangerously warmer ?

If I had the money to buy a Model X I would, folding second row seats or not. For some the thought of actually putting in a sheet of plywood once in the lifetime of owning the car is enough to not want to buy it even though 99.999% of the time they're carrying passengers.

It's quite obvious here that Tesla decided after the prototypes were shown that the production Model X was designed to carry people in style, not cargo.

I'm not denigrating those who have a legit need to put something huge into the back of the car but perhaps Model X isn't the right car for them? A Ford F-150 is cheaper and can carry quite a bit of stuff in the bed.

Didn't Tesla say they'd like to do a pickup truck eventually?

How many times a year do you need to fold those second row seats ?
How many days every year do you live on a planet getting dangerously warmer ?

What is the largest inconvenience ? Global Warming, or non-folding second row seats ?

This is a false dichotomy. :rolleyes:

The i3 and Leaf can have folded rear seats and save the planet at the same time.

Oh limited range you said? Well, how many times do you drive more than 100km a day in a year?

Some feature are desirable even if you don't use it everyday.

This is a false dichotomy. :rolleyes:

The i3 and Leaf can have folded rear seats and save the planet at the same time.

Oh limited range you said? Well, how many times do you drive more than 100km a day in a year?

Some feature are desirable even if you don't use it everyday.

Customers should seriously start to renounce some of their desires and put the Earth first. What will you say to your grandchildren when they blame you for the heat waves, drought, and possibly famine and wars for water ? That you cared about folding second row seats more than about their future ?

Customers should seriously start to renounce some of their desires and put the Earth first. What will you say to your grandchildren when they blame you for the heat waves, drought, and possibly famine and wars for water ? That you cared about folding second row seats more than about their future ?

I am not very good with sarcasm, just wanna make sure you are being sarcastic right?

Because you cannot possibly be equating wanting folding 2nd-row seats in a SUV, a feature if not promised certainly implied by Tesla by the way, with destroying Mother Earth.

EDIT: OMG, I love this forum.

I suggest that if you care so deeply about the planet and going electric, then you should take the tram.

I'm happy to hear that range isn't such a concern for some of the people here as they take their private jet for longer distances. Saving the planet, no doubt.

I suggest that if you care so deeply about the planet and going electric, then you should take the tram.

I'm happy to hear that range isn't such a concern for some of the people here as they take their private jet for longer distances. Saving the planet, no doubt.

I do not drive a car. Never did. It is not like Global Warming was discovered this morning. Scientists have been warning humanity for decades. Scientists have also explained that people who do not possess a high IQ, who do not think conceptually, have more difficulty grasping the severity of a crisis unfolding very slowly. Most brains are wired to take into account immediate danger only, since it is what helped our ancestors survive for millions of years.

Do you base every life decision on absolutes and consider apocalyptic events? Sorry, but they way you argue is just as off-putting as hardcore feminists or vegans. It's not that the idea is wrong or we deny global warming, but at some points all the protection the environment under all circumstances just goes too far for most people who just want to live their daily lives.

Every decision you make is going to have an effect on the planet and I bet you also make dozens than have a negative effect. I guess you don't eat meat, right? And you eat fish either or what are you going to tell your grandkids when we overfished the oceans?