Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People cross shop against cars in the same category and price segment. The MSRP for an MB E Series and BMW 5 Series is ~$50K, no one in the market for a $50K car is going to cross shop it against a car that costs at least 50% more.
That's not true when it comes to EVs. Surveys have shown that many Model S buyers came from much less expensive cars. I know many Model S owners, myself included, who never bought a car previously for even half of what their Model S cost. If Model S didn't exist, I wouldn't have considered paying in the $80,000's for an ICE car. "Cross-shopping" similar price range between EV and ICE just isn't common among people who care about EVs. Maybe it's true for the "performance-chasers" who bought a P85D and probably don't care that it's a EV or not, but it's not true for the typical Tesla buyer.

That's not true when it comes to EVs. Surveys have shown that many Model S buyers came from much less expensive cars. I know many Model S owners, myself included, who never bought a car previously for even half of what their Model S cost. If Model S didn't exist, I wouldn't have considered paying in the $80,000's for an ICE car. "Cross-shopping" similar price range between EV and ICE just isn't common among people who care about EVs. Maybe it's true for the "performance-chasers" who bought a P85D and probably don't care that it's a EV or not, but it's not true for the typical Tesla buyer.
I'm just going to go ahead and fully support your statement, on the grounds that it applies to me exactly (NOT the P85D part).

There was a recent study done and IIRC, they said that people considering a BEV are willing to spend 60% more for a BEV vs. a comparable non-BEV vehicle in the same class.

I realize that, my last car cost half as much as my MS. But we are atypical folks that are using electric/hybrid drivetrain as the primary buying criteria, but a typical ICE shopper who is looking at a 5 Series or E Class is not going to cross shop it against another car that is 50% more expensive.

Unsure if this is best thread, though do we have any feedback on the seats reclining? Note, not asking folding question, rather do they recline the back only, or recline the whole seat (maintaining angle of seat base) on the pedestal, eg opposite to angle used for egress?

thanks, Mike

I realize that, my last car cost half as much as my MS. But we are atypical folks that are using electric/hybrid drivetrain as the primary buying criteria, but a typical ICE shopper who is looking at a 5 Series or E Class is not going to cross shop it against another car that is 50% more expensive.
I think that's probably true, and part of that has been the thing that Tesla has been fighting from the beginning: typical ICE shoppers don't have a clue about all the advantages electric drive brings. THAT'S the challenge - changing those brains to even *consider* an EV.

I like Elon in his interviews, and indeed he comes across as genuine. That being said, during the X reveal he did not seem to care much about his audience. It is disrespectful to 1) be 50 minutes late without an explanation, or any hint of "I am sorry, my cat got stuck in a tree" when finally showing up, and 2) it would not harm him to rehearse his speech once or twice, so he does not appear to be stumbling so often. He is a clever man, could easily do a better job at it.

My thoughts as well.

Atypical compared to the the broader buying public. We (Tesla owners) paid a premium for an electric drivetrain for some reason (greenness, performance, technology, Elon groupie, etc), while we are a passionate bunch, we still represent <1% of the car buying population. For the typical buyer who has a more utilitarian view of cars or simply has a firm budget they have to work within, the conversation will be different.

Last edited:
Atypical compared to the the broader buying public. We (Tesla owners) paid a premium for an electric drivetrain for some reason (greenness, performance, technology, Elon groupie, etc), while we are a passionate bunch, we still represent >1% of the car buying population. For the typical buyer who has a more utilitarian view of cars or simply has a firm budget they have to work within, the conversation will be different.

I think you mean "<1% of the car buying population."

typical ICE shoppers don't have a clue about all the advantages electric drive brings. THAT'S the challenge - changing those brains to even *consider* an EV.
All it takes is putting those brains' butts in Tesla seats. When I was Uber'ing, I saw light bulbs switching on above those brains, and heard either "!! I've heard/read all about these, but this is my first time... do you mind if I ask..." or "! What IS this car? Who makes it??"

The mo' rides, the less the challenge...[emoji3]

After reading a lot pages of this thread I saw a lot of people who was not impressed by the fact of front doors opens automatically, the falcon doors system and choice, the motorize second raw of seats and the absence of autopilot for now. Most of the critics some be that a lot of these things took a lot of engineering time and money to do, could augment issues in the car and make it more expansive. So I, and a lot of people I'm sure, would be wondering why Elon Musk took the decision to do this car in an such complicate way. Lot of people would think that Elon did that because he wanted a car with fun a cool functions that other cars don't have, or If some have one or an other, no one has them all in one car. For me, I though the same, but I have to ad that, probably, the intent was to make people learn more about Tesla, to make the brand growing up in the mind of people who already know it and to impact the ones who didn't know about it until now. For me, all of this was about the business plan of Tesla about beginning as a luxury brand to be able to exist among all others regular century long brands in the world and to fund the advent of a more affordable EV in the medium term.
I was almost convince that it was the only reason of such amount of engineering marvellous and endeavours in the Model X.

But after reading THAT: https://medium.com/@gavinsblog/elon-musk-s-sleight-of-hand-ea2b078ed8e6

I was in shock about the fact that all of this can the real reason of so much engineering advance. If this is true, well I think we are in the verge to see that the sky will be the limit to the Tesla stocks price.

Last edited:
But after reading THAT: https://medium.com/@gavinsblog/elon-musk-s-sleight-of-hand-ea2b078ed8e6

I was in shock about the fact that all of this can the real reason of so much engineering advance. If this is true, well I think we are in the verge to see that the sky will be the limit to the Tesla stocks price.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/3nbbyz/elon_musks_sleight_of_hand/

I don't get why people go crazy about that blog post. The Model X most certainly lacks the hardware for autonomous driving.

And even if that would be implemented in newer models in a few years you would have to ask yourself why not start with for example folding seats and introduce the other ones later.

Also didn't Elon recently say something about Tesla mobility on his Europe trip and that it's not currently on their radar?

Most of the technology and engineering feats mentioned are not unique to Tesla and has been done before.

• Rolls Royce has motorized swing doors for years
  • Hyundai Genesis has proximity based automatic trunk opening
  • Many van/MPV have motorized sliding door
  • While not FD, Mercedes SLS AMG and Pagani Huayra are recent examples of gull-wing door
  • Mercedes V-Class absolutely aced the game for passenger and cargo carrying flexibility
  • Mercedes, Hyundai, Volvo, Honda, VW and many more already have semi-autonomous in their production cars
  • Mercedes also demonstrated full autonomous S-Class

I rather have a slightly tone done Model X that focus on being a good EV with good utility and earlier delivery date.

If anything, what will happen to Tesla share price if Porsche puts Mission E into production. VW might actually do that because of Diesel-Gate.

If anything, what will happen to Tesla share price if Porsche puts Mission E into production. VW might actually do that because of Diesel-Gate.

I expect that nothing would happen.

Even if Volkswagen Auto Group were to abandon diesel entirely today to focus on EV, it would take years to get batteries into mass production and years to deploy a fast charge network at Supercharger level.

Apple is more likely to be a viable competitor and trample VW (and others) in the process. With hundreds of billions in free cash, unprecedented quarterly profits, and unrivaled supply chain management, they are in the best position to hire engineering talent and acquire batteries. Apple would be a giant black hole sucking talent away from the legacy auto makers.

Most of the technology and engineering feats mentioned are not unique to Tesla and has been done before.

• Rolls Royce has motorized swing doors for years
  • Hyundai Genesis has proximity based automatic trunk opening
  • Many van/MPV have motorized sliding door
  • While not FD, Mercedes SLS AMG and Pagani Huayra are recent examples of gull-wing door
  • Mercedes V-Class absolutely aced the game for passenger and cargo carrying flexibility
  • Mercedes, Hyundai, Volvo, Honda, VW and many more already have semi-autonomous in their production cars
  • Mercedes also demonstrated full autonomous S-Class

I rather have a slightly tone done Model X that focus on being a good EV with good utility and earlier delivery date.

By the time the Mission E hits the streets, then Model 3 will be rolling out and Tesla won't be as affected at the high end. Besides that, just now many Mission E's do you think Porsche can sell, let alone produce (where are they getting their batteries?).

@ Spidy: Yes, you might be right, but in the main time people will become educate in these functions and ...in Tesla existing as a brand in the wild jungle of car brands (as I said in my post, it might be one of the main reason of such show of engineering gathered in a single car, and a pure electric one with a not so bad range (in response of @X-Wings to)).
I suppose that a lot of hardware will be availble soon, as the Model S as already a number of hardware for that. Maybe, it will messing cross road side collision detecting hardware, infra-red camera for pedestrians and animals, and an affordable lidar (which is the hardest thing as Toyota said last year that the less expensive in the market was at 80.000 dollars!).
For the Tesla Mobility program, I think Tesla had, at last, learning to not show all its cards...so wait and see.
@ X-Wings:For his sake, I hope Porsche will do that, and fortunately the VW dieselgate will perhaps make this happen sooner than later because 2018,2019 or worse 2020 for fighting the actual Model S, it can be to late, but It will not be a concern for Tesla stocks at that time.

Last edited: