Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m looking to use my extended warranty that I purchased last for my 2018 M3 for the first time, I’m the original owner.

I filled out the Kickstart form and submitted it online and received a receipt confirmation. I have an additional question regarding the appointment process with Tesla service. Can I make the service appointment to get the issue diagnosed before I hear from XCare or must I wait? In any case I’ve been waiting on my phone for 1 hour and 10 mins so far at the 1-877-302-1715 number and I am more than a little annoyed at this point. Is this what warranty owners can expect going forward?
One hour 36 mins on hold, just hung up. What kind of customer service is this???

One hour 36 mins on hold, just hung up. What kind of customer service is this???
So to follow up, called the number back just to confirm that I had the correct one and the automated system announced that my call has reached them after hours. 15 minutes later I receive a call from KJ, XCare CEO, inquiring after hours about my posts here. I explained in detail and discovered that it may have been a glitch because they are central time and I assumed they were West coast and the system should have told me it was after hours during my original call. Anyway, he answered all my questions and I appreciate the professionalism. Thank you KJ.

So I’m looking to use my extended warranty that I purchased last for my 2018 M3 for the first time, I’m the original owner.

I filled out the Kickstart form and submitted it online and received a receipt confirmation. I have an additional question regarding the appointment process with Tesla service. Can I make the service appointment to get the issue diagnosed before I hear from XCare or must I wait? In any case I’ve been waiting on my phone for 1 hour and 10 mins so far at the 1-877-302-1715 number and I am more than a little annoyed at this point. Is this what warranty owners can expect going forward?
Hi @Scottpol sorry for the delay here. And glad we could get this taken care of for you. Our claims team did receive your claim. It typically takes them about an hour to review and reach out. Being that it was after 5:00 central we did have fewer claims team members on staff so i apologize for the wait time. Happy to answer and further questions you may have- feel free to reach out anytime -- [email protected]

Thanks for being a valued XCare member and we look forward to serving you!

So to follow up, called the number back just to confirm that I had the correct one and the automated system announced that my call has reached them after hours. 15 minutes later I receive a call from KJ, XCare CEO, inquiring after hours about my posts here. I explained in detail and discovered that it may have been a glitch because they are central time and I assumed they were West coast and the system should have told me it was after hours during my original call. Anyway, he answered all my questions and I appreciate the professionalism. Thank you KJ

Reactions: XCare EV
So it turns out that my claim was denied by XCare. The straps holding the battery came loose a little due to what Tesla said was age of the car, 5 yrs this mth, and was intermittently making a knocking sound while pulling in and out of driveways, going over speed bumps slowly, etc. The tech said it would have been covered through Tesla’s original 4 yr warranty but XCare declared it wasn’t a mechanical failure. The cost would be $1150 to repair the straps, bulk of it was labor as it would entail about 4 1/2 hrs. The tech cut 50% off Tesla’s $250 diagnosis fee out of pity I guess since I’ll just have to live with the knocking for the life of the car. First experience with XCare I must say was disappointing.

So it turns out that my claim was denied by XCare. The straps holding the battery came loose a little due to what Tesla said was age of the car, 5 yrs this mth, and was intermittently making a knocking sound while pulling in and out of driveways, going over speed bumps slowly, etc. The tech said it would have been covered through Tesla’s original 4 yr warranty but XCare declared it wasn’t a mechanical failure. The cost would be $1150 to repair the straps, bulk of it was labor as it would entail about 4 1/2 hrs. The tech cut 50% off Tesla’s $250 diagnosis fee out of pity I guess since I’ll just have to live with the knocking for the life of the car. First experience with XCare I must say was disappointing.

What are "straps holding the battery"? Never heard of that...To my understanding, the battery is bolted to the vehicle.

From XCare
After reviewing your claim the issue present was not deemed as a failure of any component therefore that is where the denial came from.
On the estimate provided the issue was a compression strip, kind of like a weather stripping or a rubber pad that absorbs the vibration and keeps the parts from rattling around. This part is not a mechanical part. The contract does not cover weather stripping, rubber pads. compression strips or any moldings. The contract does not have eligibility for this component. There are no parts that need replaced per Tesla and it is only labor involved. Which is a large cost due to the fact they would have to completely remove the battery from the vehicle.

From XCare
Sorry about your experience. I'm surprised and disappointed at this response from XCare. Have been very close to getting my own policy. This gives me pause. Bummer.

BTW, your battery rattling around is a bit disconcerting. Didn't know batteries were strapped to car and could come loose over time. If it was my car (and planned to keep it), I'd probably end up getting that fixed.

We want to provide clarity to this as it seems there is some incorrect information…Want to also start with stating that we have a VERY low denial rate (>5%). Denials are not something we like to see, nor do we facilitate often, as you can see from this entire thread.

With this specific issue, they are not “straps”. They are “rubber strips” that dampen the sound from normal movement of the battery. The battery does not have straps, it’s bolted in…per Tesla, these rubber strips is not a failure of any part, they simply experience normal wear down over time like weather strips or any other rubber stripping around the vehicle. Rubber strips, like weather strips, is not part of XCare coverage. Per Tesla, this is not a safety issue and not a failure of any component.

XCare is made by a team of former Tesla leaders and partners for the last 12+ years, and is designed specifically with Tesla in mind to cover as much as we possibly can, but of course there are few items that are not. Luckily, this is not something we have seen often, so we don’t consider these rubber strips wearing down as a large issue amongst owners.

-Team XCare

We want to provide clarity to this as it seems there is some incorrect information…Want to also start with stating that we have a VERY low denial rate (>5%). Denials are not something we like to see, nor do we facilitate often, as you can see from this entire thread.

With this specific issue, they are not “straps”. They are “rubber strips” that dampen the sound from normal movement of the battery. The battery does not have straps, it’s bolted in…per Tesla, these rubber strips is not a failure of any part, they simply experience normal wear down over time like weather strips or any other rubber stripping around the vehicle. Rubber strips, like weather strips, is not part of XCare coverage. Per Tesla, this is not a safety issue and not a failure of any component.

XCare is made by a team of former Tesla leaders and partners for the last 12+ years, and is designed specifically with Tesla in mind to cover as much as we possibly can, but of course there are few items that are not. Luckily, this is not something we have seen often, so we don’t consider these rubber strips wearing down as a large issue amongst owners.

-Team XCare

This makes a lot of sense to me. Luckily I have not had this issue in any of my Teslas. If it did, I would probably just live with it tbh.

-Team XCare
I'm a long way (likely never) from thinking about any 3rd party warranty. But, I assume that people buy such warranties to be protected from expensive repairs. IF these straps ever need to be replaced for safety or vehicle reliability reasons, it may be best to offer a plan that includes them. Based on how rare this is, probably wouldn't increase premiums much.