Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range During Harsh Canadian Winters (-18C/0F)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR P90DX in single digit temps (F) can go about 150 miles.

Just took a trip in my X in cold temps on 20" Pirelli Winter Scorpions. Preheated in a 45F/ 7C garage, charged to 98% and unplugged just before leaving. Rear HVAC not on except to preheat before departure. Interior temps set to 64F/ C. Started out at ambient 1F/ -17C ended at -3F/ -19C. Traveled 154 mi/ 248km and used just about my whole battery capacity* of 84kW from a 90kWh battery. That’s 63% of Rated range and 52% of Ideal range. The in-car energy prediction at each stop was good, but the forecast dropped a few percentage points a few minutes after getting underway and then stayed on the new, higher consumption, track until the end.

*During this trip the car was parked for over an hour with climate on (and maybe battery pack heating too, but no snowflake), Wh/mi was about 490 immediately after resuming the trip so I assume the pack did not need heating or it would have been well over 500 for a while. There was a 3%/2.5 kWh drop over the 1.5 hours near 0F. About halfway home we leisurely ate dinner for about an hour and a half while the car charged at a destination charger with the climate on and arrived at home with 18% buffer.

BTW The windows fogged up easily and would clear with either forcing fresh air or using cold defrost for a few minutes at a time. I don’t know which is better; cold defrost may force fresh air anyway, but it is fewer screen taps. Either worked better and was more pleasant than blasting hot defrost.

Not bad, I'm averaging over 500wh/km currently, (today), but that was with the snow flake on my car and car parked outside for 5 hours in -20 C weather. Started the day off with 225km. Drove a total of 40km round trip, ended the day off at 87km left on the battery :(. So 138km of range consumed for ~40km. I think car was showing 550 or so wh/km average with 5 people in the car, and seat warmers set at level 2 for all of them, and steering wheel heater on, temperature set at 22 degrees C (72F) interior.

23C/72F, are you all in T-shirts? One ov two adults had seat heater on 1/3, all coats off, and the dog was with us in the back. When I set the thermostat to 18C/64F actual temps are more like 21C/70F. Sometimes I use 62F.
Honestly, I don’t know why they use an innacurate digital thermostat instead of red/blue gradient. Maybe the discrepancy is why they dont show the actual interior temp on the dash—the would never agree and the complaints would be unending.

Not bad, I'm averaging over 500wh/km currently, (today), but that was with the snow flake on my car and car parked outside for 5 hours in -20 C weather. Started the day off with 225km. Drove a total of 40km round trip, ended the day off at 87km left on the battery :(. So 138km of range consumed for ~40km. I think car was showing 550 or so wh/km average with 5 people in the car, and seat warmers set at level 2 for all of them, and steering wheel heater on, temperature set at 22 degrees C (72F) interior.

That’s pretty high,

My average is 400kw/km, 4 seats heat on level 2, mirror heat on, blade heat on, 23C for front @ fan 4, HI for rear @ fan 3

If everyone has some sweater on, I suggest turn on range mode, heat is reduced but great for short trips so less energy spend on battery heater

North of Montreal, parked overnight ~-20 C. Winter tires (Pirelli Scorpion) , properly inflated (44 PSI). Mix of 70% highway and 30% back country hilly roads.

I think everyone should assume you're going to get 50% or less range when you're dealing with real winter conditions. Obviously the warmer it gets and the more you can preheat the better.

First Drive:
Did not precondition the car, but it was plugged in.

21.71 km Driven
49.94 Rated km Used
455 Wh/km
43.5% Efficiency

Outside
-17.1 C

Inside
22.3 C

Fan Avg

Second Drive:
Parked outside, for about 2 hours, returned to home

21.49 km Driven